Chapter 42

"Focus harder. Try a imagine a clear picture of the cosmos as you travel through it."

I try and focus to my best ability, but it is hard when you don't actually know what you are trying to picture. My body is tense and beads of sweat line my forehead. I may even be pushing myself a little too hard, but I feel the extreme obligation to learn how to use these powers.  My mind soars through the nine realms forcing the power of my eyes to open, but... alas... nothing but blurry pictures appear before me. I can't see anything defining. I release my focus letting out a hard groan as try and catch my breath. I rest my hand on my head as I sit on my knees on the floor. I pant and wipe the sweat from my forehead. I sigh frustrated. I don't know how long I've been trying to train my eyes to see properly. Probably for as long as I've been with Loki. Regardless, all I can muster right now are blurry images on will... at least when it comes to seeing things off of Asguard. If I focus hard on places on Asguard then I can be able to see a clear picture, but the moment I try to focus somewhere else in the galaxy, my mind aches and I can't see clearly.
"Do not try and strain yourself." Hiemdall says calmly, looking down at my form on the floor directly next to his post.
"I know I can do it." I say determined.
"I have no doubt you can, but you are not there yet. In time." He says placing a hand on the top of my head.
"It feels like it may not be happening quick enough."
"You are improving greatly. Do not rush. Be patient or you may just overstimulate yourself and damage what progress you've made." Hiemdall stares down at me. I look up at him.
"How are you able to see so much?" I ask him.
"I have been alive much longer than you have. Hundreds of years I have had at my disposal to train and better my eyes to see across the galaxy. You have only been at practice a mere few years. That is hardly a fraction to how long I have been using my eyes." He says standing a bit straighter.
I sigh deeply. "So I will only be able to see so much after hundreds of years of practice? I won't even be living that long..."
Hiemdall only smiles reassuringly and removes his hand from my head and places it back on his sword in front of him. "Do not be discouraged. You are making excellent progress. With my help you will excel greatly and will achieve greatness before your time with us is over."
"You believe so?" I ask tilting my head to the side a bit.
"I do." He nods once.
"Well... I suppose I could to." I nod with him smiling back. The room was left in comfortable silence for a moment. I watch Hiemdall's eyes scan upwards around him. He reaches his hand out to me. "Take my hand." He says softly.
I was confused for a moment, but I have full trust in Hiemdall. I take his hand and stand from my spot on the floor. The scene around me changes and all I see are stars. So many stars and other worlds. The vastness around me is like no other. At this point it seems like it was only Hiemdall and I in this large space.
"You may not remember, but.... when you were just an infant, you would stay by my side as I worked and cared for you simultaneously..." Heimdall began to reminisce. I listened carefully.
"You were so small and curious. I knew sometimes you saw things farther than anyone else just by the way your face looked..." Hiemdall smiled to himself. "... like any child, you would cry out sometimes... so in order to get you to be calm... I would hold you into my arms... and bring you here."
I looked around more. It seems this hasn't been the first time I've seen such greatness. I only wished I could remember.
"Your eyes would shine brightly at everything around you and I could tell that you saw what I saw. You saw beauty in everything around you, even you didn't understand the entirety of it all. Pure innocence and unbias appreciation showed itself from your very soul. I must admit..."
I look up at him as he stares straight ahead.
"...I did not expect such open care in your mind. These are things that full adults in not only yours and my culture, but in many different words do not comprehend. To have this quality is rare. To see such acceptance and fascination in your eyes gave me such pride... and now... seeing how far you've come, I hold that same pride, if not more so." Hiemdall closes his eye momentarily as a small smile appears on his face. "Yes. I am very proud of you."
I look down at my feet feeling almost embarrassed. I didn't realize how much hope and pride Heimdall has put into me. "Thank you..." I say softly. "I'm proud of you to." I smiled up at him and gave him a hug, though he towered over me so my arms just went around his lower chest. I squeeze him tight making my eyes squeeze shut. He sets his hand on top of my head in affection. I knew Hiemdall didnt see me as just another mortal. He saw me as something more. Something special to him. I can tell he understands my mortality, but he knows that mortality isn't my limit. He makes me feel like I was never mortal at all. Perhaps it was all his time watching Midguard is as to why he understands so much. He must know much about the other worlds as well.
When I opened my eyes again, we were back at his post on Asguard. I felt a little disappointed that we left, but I enjoy spending that time with Hiemdall. I release him and sigh. I ponder if I should tell him what I've been seeing in my nightmares as of late. I was confident to tell him before, but now I became nervous. Almost like I was being watched and if I spoke then I'd be shot down on the spot. I also wanted to prove myself. I wanted to prove that I could represent the worth that Hiemdall put so much pride into. I wanted to prove that this mortal girl could handle a little scare and a few scraped knees. As a being that was surrounded by others with God like powers that were physically more capable in every way, I felt I needed to hold my own. I needed to show I had a steel backbone and it was not going to break anytime soon....
"Is there... something troubling your mind, (y/n)" Hiemdall noticing my deep thought.
...so... I held my tongue.
"...no..." I shook my head. He looked at me with a knowing look. He was unconvinced, but he didn't speak up. He let me keep this to myself. He let me have my pride.
"I think I should be going now." I say giving him another hug.
"What are you going to be doing now?" Hiemdall asks as I make my way to leave.
"I don't know. Perhaps read a book." I say shrugging.
"I suggest you rest. You seem deprived." He says and by that comment I knew he's seen my lack of sleep and just didnt want to say anything. He wanted me to speak up and bring forth an explanation, but I had no desire to do so. I know Hiemdall checks up on me every so often. It isn't anything foreign to me. From what I've been told he's done this all my life, so it's no surprise to me that he'd continue to do so now and discover my poor sleeping habits. For now, I'll play foolish and pretend I'm unaware of the obvious.
I just nod and smile. "I'll keep that in mind."
He nods again and I leave. I walk peacefully across the rainbow bridge trying to enjoy the serenity I have remaining. I may be tormented at night, but I shall enjoy the calm I'm able to obtain in the day time. Once again I walk without my shoes and my bare feet hit the rainbow bridge. It has an odd sensation on my skin. Its tingly, but hard all the same. It's like walking on slick glass crystals that send magic into the soles of my feet. I enjoy the feeling. As I was getting close to the other side of the bridge I see George waiting for me, though he was not alone. He was conversing with another female as he waited for me. She was very beautiful, but that doesn't seem to be unusual in Asguard. It seems many of its residents are blessed with attractive features. She was tall with long hazelnut brown hair. She had bright blue eyes and a smile that compared to an angels. She was gorgeous to say the least. It was no wonder my brother was talking to her. By his smile, he seemed to be enjoying her company. It would feel rude to interrupt their time together. I questioned whether I should meet him or continue on my way so they can remain in their conversation. I chose the latter and continued on my way past them, just giving my brother a slight nod and smile as I went by. He notices me and immediately places his hand on the woman's shoulder, politely dismissing himself. She smiles and nods waving goodbye to him as he jogs a little after me to catch up.
"Wait for me!" He says and I pause my steps turning to him.
"I was only walking." I told him.
"You were walking quickly." He laughs. "I don't think you realize how quick your legs can move."
"You seemed busy. I didn't want to interrupt your time with that woman you were talking to." I said continuing my track back to Loki's bedroom.
"You weren't interrupting anything. On the contrary, I was waiting for you. She just happened to be there to help the time pass." George says waving it off.
"Well it seems your conversation went well." I say with a bit of a smirk.
"Well we weren't really talking about anything special." He only shrugged.
"So... who is she?" I say trying to make it seem like I'm not prying.
"Oh um... that's just... well... her name is Eira. I've known her for a little while." George says with a light blush on his cheeks.
"Do you fancy Eira?" I ask a little cheeky.
"Of course I fancy her. She's... very kind and smart... and resourceful...um..."
"I meant romantically not platonically. Are you infatuated by her?" I ask being rather direct now.
"Oh...uh... well... she's quite beautiful...and um..." he starts to stutter a bit.
"No need to be embarrassed, brother. You can tell me anything!" I say grinning at him.
He sighs and just nods his head with a wave of his hand giving a silent confession. His face turning red. His embarrassment makes me throw my head back in laughter as I clap my hands in amusement. George covers his face with one of his hands trying to shield his flustered face. He pushes me away playfully as I continue to laugh. "You can't blame me for a little teasing. Your face is quite darling. I can tell you're smitten and you find her quite lush, so... I just find it amusing."
"Yes. Yes. Alright. You've had your fun." George says crossing his arms trying to become serious, but he couldnt hide the smile on his face.
"Alright. I'm done." I say calming down. "Tell me. Why were you waiting for me?"
"No reason. I know I haven't been around much lately and I just wanted to spend time with you. I saw you go speak to Hiemdall and I thought I'd just wait for you and let you have your time with him before i came and snatched you away." George throws his arm around my shoulders.
"Is there something you wanted to do?" I ask looking up at him.
He shakes his head. "No. I was just going to join you with whatever you were doing."
"I was just going to go back to Loki's room and occupy my time with reading or something of that sort." I say shrugging. At this time we had entered the castle and we were walking down the hallway and we coincidentally were passing by Loki and Thor. They were standing outside the throne room seeming to be waiting to go in. Loki was talking to Thor as he was pacing back and fourth with bright eyes and a small smile. Thor leaned against the wall watching his brother pace with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face. He gave a response every now and then to what his brother was talking about. Those two seemed to be in a really good place right now. They truly looked like brothers enjoying each others company here. If only I knew what they were talking about that was making them so happy.
"Loki's room?" George raised an eyebrow. "You were in Loki's room?"
"Yes. I spent the night in there last night." I say stopping a moment to look at my lover and his brother. I eyed George confused. "George, you know this. We spend time in each other bed chambers sometimes."
"I know. I know. I just... I suppose I'm still not use to the idea of this whole relationship yet." George shrugged.
"It's been years, George. If you aren't use to it now then you more than likely will not ever be use to it." I sigh rolling my eyes.
"I'm much more acquainted with it than before..." George only grows annoyed with the thought of Loki. "I'm not here to judge your choices and rule your life, but I believe there is better out there for you. That's all."
"You spoil me, George. You will always think there is something better when the best is already in front of me." I smile patting his shoulder.
George only sighs. "Whatever makes you happy. I will support you." That's all he had to say about that. I only chuckle and shake my head. We were silent for a moment before he speaks up with a slight warning tone in his voice.
"Were you two... sharing a bed?" George asks and I looked at him with a bewildered look.
"Why does it matter?" I ask him.
"It doesn't... unless you are particiapating in certain activities with him. Then in matters." George looks directly at me now with his eyes squinting a bit.
"George... are you suggesting we were having it off in the bedroom?" I ask placing a hand on my chest shocked that my brother would even ask such personal questions.
"Were you?" He asks simply.
"George!" I say covering my own face in embarrassment.
"You didnt answer. You must be confirming my suspicions." George says accusingly. I start to walk away not wanting to continue this conversation any longer. I just ignore it. As expected, he follows me.
"Honestly, if I knew you were going to pester me with these types of question while spending time with me, then I wouldn't have waited for you to catch up." I say continuing on my path to Loki's room.
"Alright. I'll stop teasing you. It's not fun being on the other side of it, is it?" He says smugly.
"No... you've made your point." I laugh. He laughs with me and I finally made it to Loki's room. I opened the door and walk in, George following me. I plop on the bed and George sits on the edge. I wondered if he was even allowed in here, but I figured since he's my brother then he gets a pass. "I recommend you don't touch anything. Loki isn't too fond of people in his room unless it's me. I'm only assuming he will let you be in here this one time."
"Don't worry, (y/n). I have no interest in what he has in here. I only care that you're in here." He says nonchalantly. Clearly George was not impressed by Loki in the slightest.
"If you say so." I say reaching over to the nightstand and grabbing one of Loki's random books. He sat silently peering over my shoulder and reading along as I read in the book. I always waited for him to give me the signal to turn the page before continuing. I was always a much faster reader than he was. I suppose mortality or immortality, for that matter, has nothing to do with reading and learning consumption. Eventually we both got into a rhythm to where I didnt have to wait for him to tell me when to turn. I just knew when he was finished and turned on my own.
I remember when I was younger and George would sit down with me on his lap and read to me. I actually remember him making odd comments on the stories that I didnt quite understand at the time. He would say things like "why would a princess need saving if she could fight herself with her swords that she keeps underneath her bed? All high status royalty are highly trained for combat." Or things like "what's a pig and why are they in conflict with the wolf." Eventually he tossed those books aside and picked up new types of books. These ones however were not child friendly, but they fascinated me. He would also question these books, but they made more sense to him. "Ah... you see... she should not have made a deal with the witch. She should have just killed the witch after she granted her legs... then she would not have turned to sea foam and she could still be with the man on land." He said once when we read a story about a mermaid that had a twisted ending. Or when he suggested we read the story about a peasant girl who became a princess, because he thought it could relate to our poor living situation. "They cut off their feet to fit the magic shoe?... Naturally." These odd comments were normal to me growing up. It was only when I reached a certain age did I realize what he was saying wasn't normal, but as I got older he seemed to learn not to say such odd things around me, as I would start to learn from what he was saying. When he was teaching me to read I decided to choose the books instead. I decided to choose difficult books that would take me a long amount of time to read and understand what they were about. Dracula, Pride and Prejudice, Les Miserables, and my favorite... the Christmas Carol. It was quite difficult for George, and who I knew as my parents, to teach me these books. I always thought it was because they didnt have the opportunity to be as educated, not because they were from a entirely different world. They had to learn as I had to learn, but they did learn. Very well. I did, however, start to teach them what I knew when I had a better grasp on things than they did. I even remember teaching George on some types of animals when I was 10 years old. George would actually take me to his job to fix automobiles and carriages and I would sit there in a chair while he worked, describing different animals to him.