Chapter 18

I follow George down the hallway. My leg was wrapped in a slender gold etched bandage. Even the medical supplies are fancy. I was given "Asgardian clothing". It was beautiful. I wore a teal dress with gold accents. It had a gold neck piece that doubled as a collar and necklace. One arm was sleeveless and the other was a gold sleeve that went down my arm and went into a point on the back of my palm and up to my middle finger. I was barefoot however. The fancy bandage went down my entire leg and over the arch and top of my foot. I don't know what it's doing, but I don't believe these are regular bandages. I shouldn't be able to walk at all. It's magic. It has to be. If we are really in Asguard, to which I am still skeptical about, then magic seems very plausible. The halls are extravagant. Everything is a royal version of any color. Royal blue, royal purple, velvet red, emerald green, and gold. So much gold. Gold gold gold. Something only truly wealthy and high status people could have. We passed a window and I immediately stopped and did a few backwards steps to look out the window. The stunning view of Asguard filled my sight as it was becoming sunset and the light was reflecting off of, what was truly, and properly known as, the city of gold. The sky a light pink and bright green grass and trees. Animals I've never seen before, flowers that looked so foreign than it seemed alien, clothing you'd see garment only gods themselves. I was amazed! My eyes wide and my mind refusing to believe that I was in such a place. It was a fantasy. My fantasy. It only seemed rational to think that I'm dreaming, or imagining, or hallucinating, perhaps delusional, or maybe just dead all together. I could believe a sort of heaven being an adaptation of one's own desires.  George had turned around and noticed that I wasn't following him anymore and came back to fetch me. "(Y/n), the queen is waiting. We can't stay staring outside the window."
"But... I don't understand how... This... All of this... could actually be real." I mumble looking out at the view. George sighs, but gives a soft smile. "Welcome home." I look at him before looking at the ground. It didn't seem I belonged here at all. I felt so out of place and, dare I say, downright ugly being surrounded by such beauty everywhere. "This is your home. Born here or not. People accept you here. Love you here. We want you here. We cared for you here and it only is fitting for you to return here. You do belong here." George says wrapping an arm around my shoulder. He always seemed to know what I was thinking and feeling. I give a halfhearted smile to him. "Thank you..."
He nods, returning the smile. "Alright. Now we must go. Frigga wants to see you. It'd only be rude if we kept her waiting longer than necessary."
I nod surely. "Of course. You're right. I'm sorry. The view just distracted me. It was foolish of me."
"I'd think it be more foolish to not be curious and concerned of your surroundings in an unfamiliar place. No apology necessary." George laughed ushering me to walk with him. I was a bit slow and had a slight limp, but did my best to keep up pace with George. I don't think my leg is ever going to be the same again, but as long as it worked then I have no issue. We came to giant, brown, wooden, double doors. They held so much class and quality, it would put the nobles to shame. Never have I seen such a home as this before, and from what I can tell, we haven't even covered a fraction of it. George knocks on the door and it emits a large deep echo. "State your business." A male voice came from the inside. You heard slight low and firm whispers coming from the other side of the door. George and I glance at each other. "Please, come in." A gentle women's voice says from the door. George opened the door and led the way in, and I followed with soft hesitant steps. As I walked in I marveled at the high ceiling with a chandelier with rows and rows of books lining the walls. A beautiful glass, dome window on the ceiling giving a magnificent view of the sky. I could only imagine how it would be when the stars were visible at night. The was a large circular space in the center of the room with luxurious satin and leather chairs and a beautiful transparent floating image of what looked to be many different world's. It was floating higher in the air and just below it standing in the center of the room was a beautiful woman with blond hair and a young man with slick back black hair. I recognized them immediately. The looked very similar to how they appeared in my book. Queen Frigga and Loki, God of Mischief. Frigga had a soft, but confident look on her face. Her hands were folded elegantly in front of her. Loki, however, had an annoyed look on his face as he was standing next to his mother reading a book, not even bothering looking up from it. He clearly had no interest in us. We approached the two and George knelt down and bowed his head. I tried to follow suit, but my leg refused to bend how it was meant to. Frigga picked up on my obvious struggle to bow to her and she put a hand up walking up to me. "Please, don't strain yourself. I accept your attempt at formal respect. I am Frigga, Queen of Asguard. And this..." She gestures behind her at Loki who was still reading his book on what seemed to be magic. "...is my son, Loki." He ignored us. "Loki, don't be rude. Introduce yourself." Frigga's voice held authority and was firm, but still held a softness to it. Loki sighs and looks at us. He was about to speak, but stopped immediately. He stared at me. It wasn't a stare of awe or a star of disgust. It was a stare of confusion. It was as if he didn't know what to make of me. He did his best to compose himself, but I saw. I saw through his facade. His mask match the one I have used so many times before.  "Hello. I am Loki.... Welcome." He nods respectfully. Not something I'd expect from the God of Mischief. Frigga also seemed a bit surprised at Loki’s response.
"(Y/n). My name is (y/n)(l/n)." I say with a slight bow.
"I know who you are, dear. It has been many years and you were much younger, but I have been lucky enough to meet you before. You were just an infant." Frigga says with a soft smile.
"So I have most recently been told." I says with an awkward smile.
"You are aware of your situation?"
"Yes, ma'am." I nod, though unable to hold a bit of sadness from may face and voice.
"Then you know that you were found in an alleyway with garbage and we're abandoned by your family." Frigga says rather bluntly. Loki seemed even more confused. He glances at his mother before looking back at me.
"Uh...y-yes...I am."
"You also know that your guardians, are asguardian and, though not kin, still remained your family and raised you as if they were their own."
"Yes, ma'am."
She nods. "Very good. I've been watching you as you slept. Searching your mind of any sign of piece of information that might have signaled Malekith to finding you and causing so much destruction to Midguard."
I was surprised at how much I actually understood what she was telling me. Though I had no idea who Malekith was, but I figured that was a question for later. I managed to pull most of the pieces together that he or she was probably the reason those monsters were coming for me. "Did you find what you were looking for?" I ask her.
"Yes."
"..."
"..." that seemed to be all she wanted to say on the matter. I look back at George, who was still kneeling and bowing. He glances up at me and shrugs his shoulders a bit. I look back at the queen unsure of how to continue.
"I know you have questions, but I will have to explain later. I need to discuss the situation with my husband." She says politely.
"I understand." I say giving a soft smile.
"When searching through your mind I've come to know you and know how articulate, smart, and kind you are. You are truly bright and I believe we could learn from you, but as I said I need to discuss certain things with the King."
"What kind of things?" I ask.
"Well, first and foremost, whether you'll be staying here in Asguard. I see a high chance of being so, but if I know my king then I know anything is always possible. You are still mortal and do not belong here in Asguard." Frigga says. "Until then, you may stay here in the castle."
"Oh." I say gulping a bit. I know if I go back then I'd be vulnerable to those monsters that came for me. "Well um... you can let the king know to by all means to take his time with deciding." A slight smirk appears on Loki’s face now seeming to be amused. "Mother." He speaks up. She turns back to him. "I would be more than happy to show her to her sleeping chambers."
"Loki." She had a warning tone in her voice. "You will not be troubling this kind young lady."
"I will do no such thing. I am simply curious about her and would like to take the time to know more about her while making sure she's settled." He says standing taller and more confidently.
"Loki, the girl is probably exhausted. She may have just woken up, but her consciousness had to fight to get her to wake. Her mind must be exhausted. She needs to rest and not be bombarded with questions." Frigga tells him.
"Mother, please. I will not be bothersome, I assure you. I just want to help her settle. I'm sure her mind is racing also and she will have questions of her own. I can't imagine her resting with so many questions on her mind." Loki says back. They stare at each other seeming to be having their own nonverbal conversation going. She sighs and waves him off. "Very well. Please go show (y/n) to her chambers." She turns to me. "I hope that will be alright."
"Yes, of course. I wouldn't not mind at all." I say smiling at Loki who returns with a quick look at me up and down and a slight nod. He seems to be halfway satisfied with what he's seen so far. She nods approvingly. "Then it's settled. Loki will show you to your chambers. I will stay here and talk with your guardian discussing certain matters."
"Um... alright." I nod. Loki was already at the door waiting for me. George gives me a uncertain, but reassuring smile and nod. He seems to not be sure about Loki either. I waved bye to him before approaching Loki. "Lead the way. I will follow your lead."
"You speak as if you had a choice." Loki scoffs a bit opening the door to let me through before exiting himself. "I like to think I always have have a choice, even if the choice is death." I say walking down the hallway.
"That's foolish."
"That's freedom."
"You'd choose freedom and death rather than life and imprisonment?" He asks rating an eyebrow.
"What is the purpose of life if you cannot enjoy it freely? Then you'd be nothing more than an animal. I do not want to live the life as cattle and sheep. I do not want to be caged and only used when needed before I die with a meaningless death." I say now walking side by side with him. He seems to truly be interested in what I had to say. Curious rather.
"Are you not afraid?" He asks.
"Of?" I ask looking at him.
"Death. One day meeting your demise. Does that not frighten you?"
"Not at all. We will all die someday. It is a sure thing. Death is not a concern of mine. If anything I'm more concerned with how I will die rather than death itself." I say watching our feet walk in sync.
"Death is still death. Does it matter how it will come?" Loki asks watching my every movement and looks at me straight on as we approach the door of my sleeping chambers. We stop in front of it and I look up at him. "It matters to me. I want to die peacefully. I don't want to die in pain, or scared, or with any regrets. There's only three possible ways I want to die."
"Which are what?" He asks looking in my eyes.
"I either want to die sleeping or die laughing." I says opening the door to the room. He furrows his eyebrows looking at me confused. "That is only two ways. What is the third?" I smile at him leaning against the doorway. "The third is in the arms of someone I love. Whether it be a lover or family or even a friend, it does not matter to me. Just having someone I care about there in my last moments is satisfactory to me."
"Strange." He muttered. I shrug. "Perhap, but that's just my preference." I says giving him a smile. He was very handsome and he clearly was smart. He just had a more closed way of thinking. Something that could be easily influenced otherwise. "Thank you for escorting me, Loki."
"Certainly..." He says though his face showed that confused curiosity again.
"Goodnight." I says and he nods, but he doesn't leave or even move. I just awkwardly nod and close the door. Now time to get ready for bed.

Hello everyone. Are you all doing okay? I hope so. Christmas is creeping up upon us and Hanukkah is already in the works. I hope all of are having a happy holidays and I wish you all a happy new year. I will see you in the next chapter! Tootles!