Chapter 36

*disclaimer: trigger themes of attempt of suicide, suggestive rape attempt and low key adult themes.*

I walk down the vacant streets. Only the sound of my footsteps could be heard. I walk with my cloak snuggly tied around me. Light was starting to appear over the horizon. It will be sunrise soon. I sigh and yawn tiredly. It has been too long of a day. I then notice something. My steps seemed to have an echo... no... It sounds like there were two sets of steps. I stop. The steps stop just after. I walk again. The steps continue again. Someone was following me. I continue on pretending I don't hear them. I quicken my pace and the steps do the same. As I walked I subtly removed a knife from my belt. I quickened my pace more and the steps follow suit. I immediately halt turning around with my knife drawn.
There was no-one there. I looked on confused until I felt a sharp pull on my cloak choking me and  making me fall over dropping the knife. As i was dragged along my hands immediately go to my neck trying to breathe or untie the cloak, but the knot was now too tight to undo. I look up to see my attacker was a large man with a torn shirt and a dirty face. This man clearly represented one of the homeless. He quickly dragged me into a nearby alleyway. I reach for my belt struggling to grab my second knife as my face begins to change color from lack of oxygen. I finally find it and use it to cut the cloak tie from around my neck, but also cut my neck in the process. I slipped out from the cloak gasping for air and holding my chest. I saw the man coming for me and I immediately tried to bolt, but his swift movements got to me first catching my legs and dragging me backwards deeper into the alley. "Help!" I yelled loudly. "Anyone! Help me!" The man instantly covers my mouth grabbing my hair to shut me up. He slams me against the wall making me hit the back of my head hard against the bricks. It seems like from then on I was seeing double and having a hard time to focus or fight back. I felt the man's hand around my neck again keeping me immobilized. He lifts me off the ground a few inches by my neck using the wall as support. My toes were barely on the ground. He pressed his knees into my thighs to keep me from kicking too much. I struggled as best I could until I felt his mouth on mine. I made sounds of disgust and tried to best to let my muffled screams to be heard. I wanted to vomit. He keeps his hand tight around my neck and the other was trailing up my hip and underneath my shirt. His hand trailed across my stomach and over my breasts squeezing them roughly. I panicked now. I thought quickly and bit the man's lip. He lurched backwards dropping me to the ground as he held his bloody mouth. "You little bitch!" I kicked him back further reaching into my boot and pulling out another knife. I ran up to him and slashed his face and then his chest. I kicked his face as hard as I could causing his head to fling back. You hear the crack of his nose the moment my foot connected to his face. Now I wasn't afraid of him. I continued to beat him until his face turned blue. The sound of his grunts and groans were music to my ears and I would even admit I enjoyed causing this man misery. It was almost a sadistic feeling. The way he broke underneath me. I wanted him to beg for mercy. I didn't want to stop until he whimpered and begged for his life. I was about to stab him directly.
"Enough!" He says pulling out a gun from his crumbled spot on the ground making me freeze in place. He laughed. "Yeah. Not so tough now are ya." He slowly and painfully gets off the ground wiping the blood from his nose. I started to back up. "I am tired of dealing with you." He says pointing his gun at me and clicking it. He's going to shoot me. I should have run, but I got too carried away. I closed my eyes. I heard the fire. I gasped, but I didn't feel the impact. I open my eyes to see Loki in front of me holding the bullet with his thumb and index finger. How'd he do that? He had a hard glare on the man and the man now looked very frightened by Loki's presence. Loki took a step forward and the man tried to bolt. Loki was quicker though. Before the man could even attempt to run past us Loki pulled a knife quickly, grabbed the man by his neck and stabbed him in his chest. The man gasped and coughed up blood that spattered on Loki's face. He grunted in disgust dropping the man on the ground. Normally I might have been terrified by this, but something deep inside me risen and it only gave me pleasure in seeing seeing The light start to dim from his eyes. The man gasped and reached out to me for help. I just glared at him and walked over to his dying body and spit on his face. Loki smirked. I've never been more attracted to Loki than I am now. I watched the man went limp and I suppressed a smile and a giggle not wanting to give away my secret feelings. I only stared at the body with a glint in my eye. Loki came up behind me wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder. "I saw what you did." He says into my ear.
"I didn't do anything." I lied.
"Don't lie to me now, love. I saw the way you beat that man into the ground. I saw that smile on your face as he crumbled and the light left his eyes. You can't hide it from me." He smirked against my ear. "You liked it, didn't you?"
I couldn't help but admit it. He was already onto me.
"Yes." I say just above a whisper. I felt ashamed for feeling the way. It was wrong. It was inhumane.
"It's okay..." He whispered. He kissed the bruising around my neck and wiped part of the blood from the cut. "I liked it too." I felt a rush of adrenaline. I whipped around to face Loki taking his face in my hands and slamming my lips against his. I kissed him deeply making him stumble back, his back hitting the wall. He kissed me back just as passionately and roughly placing his hand on the back of my head deepening the kiss. I wrapped one of my legs around his waist and he holds my thigh in place. I pull away from him breathless. "Dear, god, I love you." I tell him kissing him again. He chuckles and gently separates us. "Do you now?"
"Yes. I do. I really do." I back up wiping a little saliva from my mouth and try and compose myself. I sigh. He walks over showing not a smirk, but an actual smile. He hugs me gently. "Finally." He sighed grateful
I embrace him tightly and bury face in his chest. "Thank you, Loki. If it wasn't for you I could have been killed." I say.
"I won't let anything happen to you." He says softly.
"I believe you." I say smiling up at him.
He smiles lovingly at me before his face turned serious. "Tell me, (y/n). Where were you going? You were suppose to come back after you saw the woman you were looking for, who by the way, is in your room."
"I know. I told her to go and rest. She's been working so hard. I wanted her to relax." I tell him. "I was going back to the Orphanage. I had a great idea to how I can get those kids out of there and into a better place."
"Oh?"
"Yes. Will you come with me?" I ask. "I may need protection and perhaps you could do some convincing to that old nun. She seems to be afraid of you."
"Yes. I think that is for the best. I don't want any more problems" he nods.
"Great!" I take his hand in mine. "Let's go on then."
We walk out of the alley leaving the man's body behind with no regrets. We headed down to Greystone Orpgange once more and this time I wasn't as uneasy as before. I walked through the gate and up to the door with confidence. I see a car parked out front and I looked at Loki confused who in tern just shrugged. I turn back and knock on the door firmly and loudly. Perhaps I still had a adrenaline rush.
"Who could possibly be here at a time like this?" I hear the familiar voice of the nun. I sigh and roll my eyes. I hear the hurried footsteps right before the door opened. She sees us and groans. "Ah. No. You two again. I'm sorry, but now is not the time. We are currently dealing with a crisis."
"A crisis? What kind of crisis?" I ask getting worried.
"A crisis with one of the children. This isn't something that concerns you."
"A child? Which one?"
"I just told you. It's none of your business."
"Ms. Higgans, I suggest you don't tell me what is my concern and what is not. Now, if you do not tell me what has happened and what child you are referring to then I will get child services involved and you will be arrested for child negligence." I threatened her. "I will also be sure to have my husband have a talk with you."
Ms. Higgans glances at Loki who remained to have a serious face. She sighed stepping aside to let us in. "This way."
"Thank you." I say frustrated. She leads us down the same hallways my kids were on. I looked past her at the end of the hall way to see Casey sitting on the floor with his head in his knees. The girl, Ariel, was standing beside him struggling to hold a sleeping Carmen. I go around the nun and run over to the kids. "Casey?" I kneel in front of him checking him for any bumps or bruises. He looks up. His eyes were puffy and red from crying. His nose was running and he kept sniffling. He sprung up wrapping his arms around my neck and crying into my shoulder. "(Y/n)!" He cries. I rub his back. "Casey, what's wrong?"
"L-L-Langston is hurt!" He hiccups.
"What?!" I pull him away from me clapping onto his arms and making him look at me. "Where is Langston now?" I asked him seriously and alarmed. He pointed behind me at the door to their room. I quickly kiss the top of his head and immediately walk into their room. There was a doctor standing by Langston's bed just shielding him from view.
"Who are you?" I ask him. "What happened?" I rush to Langston's bedside. I look him over and he's in a bad state. He's ghost pale and his closed eyes were dark red. There was a dark line of bruising around his neck and his breathing was heavy and raspy. It didn't take a genius to figure out what happened.
"Oh god..." my voice quiveres as I kneel beside his bed. I rub his head running my fingers through his hair. He was completely unconscious.
"I'm Dr. McCoy. I'm caring for this young man. May I ask who you are?" The doctor asks.
"I've helped care for this boy since he was a baby. He's family." I say looking sadly at Langston. I should've known. I should've been here. Then maybe this wouldn't have happened. He told me. He bloody told me and I did nothing. He reached out for help and I couldn't do a thing. I hold hand kissing it.  The only thing I knew to do was to bury my face into the sheets of the bed and cry. The doctor comes over and rubs my back.
"The boy was found in the middle of the night hanging in his closet." I only cried louder and harder. "I know this must be hard for you, but know this." He says. "If it wasn't for that young man in the hallway then this boy may have not made it."
Casey saved poor Langston. He should have never been put in the position to have to do this. As if these boys couldn't be more scarred. I sniffled lifting my head having my hand over my mouth as more tears ran down my cheeks.
"I'll leave you to have your privacy." Dr. McCoy says squeezing my shoulder in comfort. I nod. "Thank you."
I stay by Langston's bed for hours at a time, the doctor coming in every now and then to check on him. He's been unresponsive for so long I was getting paranoid. I watch him with bloodshot puffy red eyes. I pace his room back and fourth. I decided to go look in his closet. There hanging from the hanger rod was bed sheets twisted and knotted in every which way making a loop at the end. Just the sight made me start to cry again. I begin to undo the knots in the sheets not wanting to look at this scene any longer. I first undo the knot attaches to the rod and carry the sheet back to my seat and began working on the rest of the knots. There was a soft a knock on the door and Loki stood there with food, but I didn't want to eat. Not now.
"Eat, love. You haven't eaten or slept at all since we arrived to Midguard." Loki says walking over. He kneels in front of me and sets the food beside him on the floor. He gently takes the sheet from my hands tossing it to the side. "You need to rest."
"I can't." I whispered in defeat.
"You need to try."
"..."
"(Y/n)... please." He begged.
I sniffed and a nodded."okay." He gave me the plate of food and I slowly began to eat it. Loki sighs and kisses my cheek. "I'm sorry."
I didnt reply. I just continued to eat."where's Ms. Higgans? I need to speak with her."
"She's with the other children. They're cleaning at the entrance."
"Ugh. That sorry excuse of a woman. Well now she's going to be with me." I stand wiping the tears from my eyes. "Please... stay here and watch him for me, will you?"
He nods. "Of course."
"Thank you." I say heading out of the room. Casey was still in the exact same spot he was in before. His head still in his knees. I sit on my knees in front of him. I placed my hand on his back. He flinched and looked up. He visibly relaxed letting out a sigh. "Hey, Casey? How long have you been out here?"
"Since the doctor came." He says quietly.
"Have you eaten?"
He shakes his head no.
"You need to eat, baby. You're going to make yourself sick of you don't." I say fixing the out of place locks on his head.
"Is Langston okay?" He says completely ignoring my suggestion. I didn't even know how to answer the question. Langston was alive, but he was not okay. How could he be? His mind was torturing him. Now he was unconscious trying to recover. All in all. He was alive.
"I don't know, Casey. We will have to see when he wakes up. I know he will be eventually. You just have to be there for him." I say placing my hand on his cheek.
"I will! I promise. I want Langston to be okay." Casey says determined.
"I know you do. I believe you will do everything you can to help Langston. Just like you did last night." I smile lovingly at him. "You were so brave."
"Langston still got hurt. I wasn't quick enough." Casey says sadly.
"Now don't you beat yourself up with this, Casey. You saved Langston's life." I tell him seriously.
"I did?"
"Yes. You did. Without your help he would not be here. You are brilliant, Casey. Never forget that. You did good. Very good." I hugged him to me. I kissed his forehead and then his cheek. "You need rest. I want you to go eat and then to go rest in one of the other kids bed. Understand me?"
"Yes, ma'am." He says standing up. I nod with a smile.
"Good. Go on now." I tell him. He nods and goes off. I walk back to the main entrance where Ms. Higgans was watching the kids clean the floors.
"Ms. Higgans." I call to her. She sighs looking at me.
"Yes?" She says irritated.
"Go and get those adoption papers." I tell her.
"And why is that?" She asks crossing her arms.
"Because those kids are coming with me."

Hello, everyone. I know this was a darker chapter with much more adult themes, but I hope you will enjoy the story anyway. I feel this chapter is controversial on whether I should have posted it or not. Regardless I don't regret posting it. It's my story and this is how I want it to go, but please please please tell me what you think. You know I love hearing from all of you. Don't be shy. With that said, I will see you in the next chapter. Toodles!