Chapter 35

Loki had came back to the orphanage to escort me to an inn for us to sleep tonight. We walked in complete silence and when we arrived he immediately went upstairs to isolate himself in his own room, so I was left alone to my thoughts and a single lit candle in my room. Even though Casey apologized for his outburst, I still held the same feelings as if he never did. I still feel responsible for their misery and I still feel as though I betrayed them. These kids were clearly tortured and tormented my third own selves. Langston, especially. Out of everyone, Langston was the least likely person I would have imagined to break down and want to give up on life. He was only a kid, but it seems he grew up in an instant after his father died. It's not right. It seemed his confession was his first time speaking out about it. I can't imagine Casey knows. Casey himself still looks to have some pure child like behavior in him still, something I was grateful for. I want to just take these boys with me, but I know Odin wouldn't stand for it. No more mortals on Asguard. Crossing worlds was a reason why we are where we are now. I refuse to let those boys stay where they are now, but I will need help. I get up from my spot on the bed and quietly open my door. It creaked a little. I stepped lightly out of my room trying to maintain the quiet since it had been the middle of the night. It was about time to go see Clarrise, but I not only wanted Loki to go with me, I desperately needed to speak with him. I needed to make things right. I walk up to his room and try knocking as softly, but firmly, as I could.
"Loki? It's me... May I speak with you?" I was only met with silence. "Loki, please. I know you're awake... I wanted to apologize for my actions today. I was being a little selfish and it wasn't fair to you. I broke our deal and-"
He opened his door. "Quiet down before you wake the other residents. Come in." He says letting me in.
"Thank you." He hums in response closing the door behind me.
"Now... what are you going on about?" Loki says shifting his weight to one leg and crossing his arms.
"I told you. I wanted to apologize for today. I didn't follow our arrangement and in turn disrespected you and I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. These kids... They're my family and I love them. They needed my help." I say clapping my hands together.
"I'm assuming despite you apologizing, you still want to stay here?" He said as more of a statement than a question.
"Yes. I refuse to abandon them again... Casey is angry and Langston...well...lets just say he has no more hope left, despite my efforts to convince him otherwise." I hesitate not really wanting to break  the privacy Langston entrusted in me. "They will only continue to suffer if I don't do something."
"And what are you going to do about it?"
"Well... I was hoping you'd help me figure something out... I mean, we're going to see Clarrise and-"
"No. I'm not going to see your mortal family anymore. I'm not getting involved in human affairs." Loki says holding up his hand.
"I know you're upset, but I promise that once these kids are in a stable place then I will go back. Just please help me." I begged. He was silent still holding his stance.
"If you help me then it will go much faster."
"No." He says.
I sigh in defeat. "I understand. I will try my best on my own."
He nodded. "Is that all?"
I shake my head. "No... there's something else." I say shyly. He rolls his eyes. "What is it?"
"I wanted to thank you as well."
"Thank me?" He raises and eyebrow. I walk closer to him to where I stood right before him. I look up at him.
"Yes. I know I've been a handful lately and I appreciate you doing all of this for me." I place my hands on both his cheeks and lean up giving him a soft kiss on his lips. He seemed surprised uncrossing his arms. He then relaxed and started to return my advance towards him. The kiss made my heart flutter and my lips tingle. This was something I truly didn't expect, but I couldn't help to admit to myself that I was falling for the mischevious god all over again, but this time in a more intimate way, a deeper way. I could sense this was going far deeper than simple infatuation or a crush. I separated from him my face a little heated. I backed up a bit giving some space between us.
"Yes... so....thank you. That was all I wanted." I smiled shyly. He only nods. I nod back and head for the door. Before I could open the door Loki hugs me from behind. I gave a small gasp as he pulls me into him. He burried his face into the book of my neck. "Stay with me tonight...please." He whispered softly.
"... I can't..." I replied just as softly.
"I don't want to be without you."
"I'm sorry." I gently remove his arms from me and step away. We give each other one more connecting look before I leave his room without another word. I head back to my room closing the door with a light click. I lean up against it holding my chest to steady my racing heart. I take a deep breath to try and get my focus back. I put on a look of determination. I prepare to head out and find Clarrise.