Chapter 6

I sit in the study on the floor reading about the legend of Odin and his kingdom, Asguard. My black and blue dress' skirt is poofed around me while my legs are tucked under like a mother hen in a nest. I long tossed my heels to the side leaving my feet to feel the carpet. I am particularly interested in the gatekeeper, Hiemdall. They say he sees everything in all the nine realms with his eyes just from standing in his dome. They have an illustration on the page of his description. He has golden eyes, just like me. He's dressed like a fierce warrior, but I can tell that he would hold kindness in his heart. They say so many Legends about Gods named Odin, Thor, Loki, Frigga, and so many more, but I believe every one of them. Everything about Asguard is so fascinating.
I lean closer to the book in my hands my face becoming hidden in the pages. The door to the study open and my step-mother walks in looking frustrated.
"Oh there you are, (y/n)! I've been looking everywhere for you!" She says placing her hands on her hips.
" I was here the all the time, mother." l say glancing up from my book.
"Yes, I see that now. What on earth are you doing up here anyway. The Gallum's will be here any minute." she says making her way over to me. I sigh. That's right. The Gallum's are coming for me to meet their son,James. They want me to at least be acquainted with the man before I'm married off. I have no interests in being married to the rich, but my mother is. She's doing her best to try and provide me for a good life, even if that means doing what doesn't make me happy. I'm appreciative for her efforts, so I'll do whatever makes her happy. I've met James once before and he seems fine. The arrangement of our marriage is strictly business and both of us will respect each other's wishes and everything seems fine. We're not rich, though we are acquainted with people who are nobles, so currently we are using their home as a way to provide ourselves for appearance. This way Jame's parents will think he's marrying into something beneficial. We're staying in Mistress Dalrousse's mansion. It wasn't often that a noble doesn't marry another noble. In fact it's so rare it basically never happens. It makes me wonder what l could possibly possess that they want.
"Look, mother. It says here Hiemdall has all seeing eyes and can see every living creature in the entire realm!" I say holding up the book for her too see.
"(Y/n), put the book down and hurry up and get ready. We don't have much time. Honestly, I don't see why your father gave you such a book. It only fills your mind with these fairy tales." she says taking the book and tossing it to the side. She the takes my arms and gently pulls me to my feet.
"I don't think they're fairy tales. I think their Legends. That's much different."
"Well I personally don't see a- (Y/n), Where are your shoes?" she says looking down at my feet, then searching around her.
"They're over there." I say pointing to them carelessly tossed into the corner and forgotten.
"You can at least try and make this easy for me." she walks over and picks them off of the floor and returns setting them down in front of me. I put a hand on her shoulder and she puts an arm around my waist while i support my weight on her as I try to step into the heals.
"I'm sorry. Sometimes I get lost in that book."
"Yes, that seemed to be a recurring thing with your father as well." she says letting go of me as I stand straight in the heels. She takes a moment to fix my hair a bit and she takes a handkerchief from her breast pad, dabs it on her tongue then wipes a small bit of dust off my face. She then steps back and looks me up and down.
"There. You look absolutely perfect. Beautiful as ever."
"Thanks, mom." I smile to her. "I have to admit although the extremely upper class lifestyle isn't my taste, these wealthy people have beautiful clothing." I do a spin in the dress making it twirl a bit. She laughs at my action and nods her head.
"I agree. Now, tell me, is your corset on tight enough?" she says,but before I answer a knock on the door interrupts her. The door opens to reveal a butler. "Excuse me, my Lady. The Gallums have arrived and Mistress Dalrousse has informed me to tell you 'Good luck and best wishes'." He says placing his hands behind his back.
"Thank you, Sebastian. Please inform them we'll be down immediately." she says and the butler bows and exits the room. My step-mother looks me over one final time before sighing. She clasps her hands together before smiling.
"Do I look okay, mother?" I ask her and she smiles brightly and does a single nod.
"Yes. absolutely perfect. Now, shall we get more acquainted with your future husband."
"Yes, let's go." We exit the room and make our way down the long hallway. I'm all of a sudden getting butterflies in my stomach. I have to make this meeting right or James's parents might call off the wedding and we'll never get out of poverty. The only thing that Gallum's want from us is our title right to a certain piece of land. A piece of land I grew up on. It has qualities that are valuable, but it's so sentimental to us we could never sell anything from it. Of course the only way I can keep the land and have control over what happens to it while still bringing ourselves out of poverty is by marrying a noble who's name already possesses great wealth. I have to try and do my best to not ruin this for my mother and I. I didn't realize we've already reached the stairs. I pause thinking over what I'm going to do. My mother walks past me then looks back wondering why I've stopped.
"(Y/n), why did you stop? They're waiting for us." she says turning towards me. I don't respond. Instead I take a deep breath preparing myself.
"Are you nervous, Honey?" she asks walking over. I nod.
"Don't be. You'll do fine. I'm sure James already likes you anyway. There's no need to worry."
"This would be much easier if it were just James and I alone.... Without his parents watching us. They're the ones I'm worried about."
"I see..... hmm... don't worry,(Y/n), I'll take care of it for you. Now come on. We don't want to keep them waiting any longer." she says patting my back and pulling me down the stairs. Once we reach the bottom we see James and his parents standing at the front entrance. My step-mother then let's go of my hand and walks in front of me ready to greet the Gallums. I follow her waiting to be told what to do.
"Welcome, Lord and Lady Gallum. I trust your trip here went well?"
"Yes, it was fine. A bit uncomfortable after awhile of sitting, but none the less fine." Lord Gallum said smiling lightly. He was tall. He wore and black suit with a blue handkerchief in his breast pocket. His skin was pale white with a bit of pink around his nose. He had a strong jawline with nicely trimmed dark brown beard to compliment it. His eyes held fiercely and demanded respect. He seemed he could be quite intimidating if he wanted to. His wife stood beside him with a strict hard gaze focused on me. She seemed to be judging me already. Her hair was in a tight blond bun with curl strands framing her face. She wore a red and white dress with silver accents in it. Her hands crossed in front of her while she holds a tall straight posture. Her green eyes looking from my face to my dress and down to my shoes. She scoffs to herself. She's obviously not impressed with what she sees.
"Tell me, (Y/n). What do you plan on doing after the wedding with my son?" she says.
I stiffen.
"Oh! Um... I... I don't... know, ma'am." I say shifting my feet.
"Well clearly you must have something planned. Something beneficial to him. I've already had you betrothed to him this long! Are you telling me that I've wasted my time and efforts?" she says now stepping forward. I take a small step back.
"...um..."
"Mother, please. That's enough." James steps forward. He addresses his mother with a firm, but polite tone.
"Hush, James. I'm merely seeing if she's really worth something. After all she is going to be my daughter in law soon enough. I wouldn't want any regrets." she says glaring at me. My stepmother looks at Lady Gallum with sharp eyes and stands closer to me. "Now, Elizabeth. Stop tormenting the poor girl. She's done nothing wrong. Your actions are completely unnecessary right now. We've already signed the papers for their ceremony. This is no time to be having second thoughts." Lord Gallum says resting his hand on her arm and pulling her back. My stepmother steps forward.
"I would believe we're losing focus on why we decided to have this little rendezvous." she says. "Why don't we leave them here to get more acquainted while we discuss the wedding plans in more detail, yes?"
"I think that sounds lovely. Then you'll be able to discuss those thoughts you've been having on the design of the ceremony, Elizabeth." Lord Gallum says stroking his wife's hand. She nods in agreement.
"That sounds fine. James, I trust you'll be fine with this..." she looks at me in disgust. "...lovely young lady."
James sighs. "Yes. I'll be fine. Thank you, Mother." she nods again before exiting to a lounge room with my stepmother and Lord Gallum. I look at James.
"Would you like to go up to the study?" I ask him. He looks at me surprised a moment.
"Oh! Um... yes. That would be nice." he says and I start to lead him up the stairs and down the hall back to the study where I was once before. James has short brown hair and smooth creamy skin. He has bright green eyes and a strong build. He's attractive, but nothing I really cared about. We make our way into the study and sit in 2 large red leather chairs across from each other. Neither of us say anything as we sit in awkward silence. Both of us truly feeling alone with each other now.

I know you guys have been wondering where I've been. To make it short. I've been sick. Not with the flu or a cold. A type of sickness that I don't want to talk about, but has left me in the hospital a couple of times. It's that and the combination of school. I've graduated, but can't currently go to college due to my sickness. Since I was dealing with these things I completely forgot about this story and where I was going with it. I remember big plot points, but I can't remember how I got there so I'll be winging it for awhile. I'll be going back to the hospital again soon and I'll be there for about 3 or 4 months but I'll still try my best to continue the story. It was only recent comments that reminded me that I had a story to write and left you guys hanging at the beginning and that's my bad. Sorry. I didn't mean to. So with that being said, Tootles!