Chapter 21

This may have been one of the most uncomfortable meals I have ever been at. Thor had been rambling on about his day and his association with Heimdall. His voice is booming and energetic. However, Loki's eyes never left my form from across the table. A curious look.  Whether he was in deep thought or just being rude was uncertain. Either way it was making me uncomfortable. I gave a glance at him every now and then, but his eyes pierced back harder. If he was blinking then it was when I wasn't looking. I tried to focus on Thor, who has took the liberty of officially "adopting" me and becoming my guardian. I informed him it wasn't necessary considering I was already an adult, but his determination for protecting a "weak and fragile mortal" held strong. He said it was only in the Aguardian nature to protect Midgard and it's residents. I suggested settling at simple friends, but it was taken as an extension of guardian. I suppose that it fine. It's not everyday that you have gods as your protectors. I never had imagine Thor like this however.
"Yes. When they had brought you hear in such condition, it amazed me how much of a strong infant you were, even with the disadvantage of being a mortal." Thor says with a bite in his mouth.
"You talk about my mortality excessively." I comment.
"Is that not what you are?" Loki says speaking up for the first time. "A mortal?"
"Yes, but I don't understand why it must be the center of conversation for this long." I sighed. "Yes, I am a mortal. Yes, I am very much weaker than all of you. Yes, I know nothing of this world or the gods that resident here. Finally, yes, I will die long before any of you will even develop a second thought of me."
Thor laughed keeping food in his cheek. "Oh. She's a tempered one eh, brother?"
"Yes. Very much so. I like it. It's amusing." Loki smirked. "Hardly forgettable."
"Um...I....alright." I was confused.
"I don't mean to be rude, (y/n)." Thor says.
"It's fascinating." Loki hummed.
"No no. I apologize. I suppose I'm irritated that I feel insignificant and looked down upon. I've had to deal with such treatment all of my life." I rub my temple. "I fantasized for something different here. That was probably an unrealistic and foolish thought. I never thought of mortality as something derogatory."
"I do not wish to make it seem like mortality is shameful. We all, even gods, will pass on someday." Thor says showing a glint of wisdom rather arogance.
"Give or take a few thousand years..." Loki scoffed. I gave a critical hum at his comment. His way of thinking is concerning.
"Exactly! That is the difference!" Thor exclaims. There it is. "We have much more time than you Midgardians to make our mark amongst the stars and live our lives to the fullest happily."
"I'll have you know that Midgardians are very satisfied with our lifespan. We find our lives lengthy and we are very capable at living it to the fullest. If we have the short lives you say we do then it only seems reasonable and sensible to make do and be happy with what we have." I press my lips in a thin line, my irritation becoming a bit much. "I will not tolerate being downsized... God or not."
They were silent. Thor,not sure what to say and Loki, reveling in my irritation. His smirk spread into a grin clearly enjoying himself. It may not have been a smart idea to mouth off to gods that could easily overpower and kill me, but I'm prone to sharing opinion and judging by their reactions, I'd say I'm in the clear.
"Walk with me." Loki says suddenly standing.
"What?" I and Thor say with a half full mouth. Loki rolls his eyes with a sigh making his way around the table to me.
"I said...take a walk with me." He extends his hand towards me.
"Loki, I don't be-"
"I wasn't asking you,...brother." he cuts Thor off with a calm, but firm tone. He showed no irritation at this point. His face showed pure curiosity and amusement. The way he looked at me seemed to be real and genuine. He's the god of mischief, but I see no strings attached with this small and simple request. I didn't know what to do. I know better, but I don't want to use my senses. I took his hand and stood up as he pulled my chair out. Thor watched silently. He held his arm out like a gentleman and I gladly took it as he escorted me out of the room. Thor was pondering the situation with feelings of uncertainty. We walked down the corridors and Loki had a dazed look in his eyes as he walked forth not averting his attention away from straight ahead.
"What has your attention?" I ask him.
"You do." He says not even looking my way.
"You're not even looking at me."
"I've been pondering you ever since of yesterday."
"Why? I can't imagine you spending so much as a moment considering anything about me." I look at him.
"It's your mouth." He states.
"My... mouth?"
"Yes. Your mouth." He stops in front of what I remember to be the library. "Wait here." I let go of his arm and he walk through the large doors. I wait outside curiously. I lean back and fourth and stand on y tip toes tying to see where he was going and what he was doing. It was only a moment after when he returned with a book in his hand. he held his arm out again for me to take and we were off once more. As we walked, I leaned forward a bit looking down at the book in his other hand that he apparently wanted to give no explanation to. He gave an amused side glance towards me watching my actions as I curiously looked on.
"What is that?" I glance up at him before looking back at the book.
"It's obviously a book." Now he was playing games.
"What kind of book?"
"A brown and silver book."
I huff a bit pushing my hair behind my ear in frustration. "Loki, what on earth are you up to?"
"My my. Such assertive curiosity." He chuckled."
"I think I have every right to know what you are up to considering you are taking me everywhere and spending your time with me."
"What if I am not up to anything?" he smirk at me. That damn smirk.
"That seems rather unlikely."
"Oh?"
"Well, you are the 'God of Mischief' and you've been known to hold up to your title." I tell him. He was now leading me outside. "It is also only polite to do so."
He laughed openly. A sweet sound that I never expected to hear. It was absolutely lovely. A beautifully genuine laugh. "That. That is what I'm referring to when I say your mouth. It is quick. It's is sharp. I like it. I like it a lot. It amuses me."
"I suppose it will keep you on your toes." I shrug.
"Yes. I'd say so." He says keeping his smile. We were walking through town at this point and I noticed as we walked there were others looking at us...or rather me as we passed by. Some were staring, others were whispering to each other. They didn't have looks of happiness, but looks of curiosity? Shame? Disgust? I don't know. All I know is they were not smiling. I moved closer to Loki, feeling insecure. He noticed, but said nothing. "They're staring at me..." i said softly. I then noticed that I had revealed the discoloration and scar that was on my ear and part of my face when I had tucked my hair away. I quickly moved it back in place. I was mortified.
"What's wrong?" Loki asks watching my discomfort.
"Why hadn't you told me that my disfigurement was showing?" I asked in a sharp whisper as I looked to the ground avoiding eye contact with everyone and staying close to Loki's side.
"I hadn't noticed, nor does it bother me... I would hardly consider that as disfigurement." Loki tells to my pressed form.
"Well they noticed... and their eyes say otherwise." I frown.
"They are more than likely not staring because of the mark on your face." Loki says looking around at everyone. He glares at some making them turn away and return to their business. He stands tall with me on his arm slinking into his side in embarrassment.
"Why are they staring if not at my face?"
"They probably sense you're a mortal and are curious on why you are here."
"Were they this curious when I was an infant?"
"Infants do not know. I wasn't there at that time. Infants however are much more difficult to sense mortality from a distance. They take on whatever sense is around them." Loki leads me atop a hill with a large white tree that stand tall at the peak. "Judging by the time I have seen you, however, they may have been staring then at the extremely large bruise that had covered most of your face. That was something to be not only curious, but concerned about for an infant. Mortal or not." He gestures for me to sit down. I sit on my knees as he remains standing. I cross my hands politely in my lap as I look up at him curiously.  He brings up the book he had been caring all this time. He opens it looking through it. "Oh. Do I get to see what the book does now?" I ask smiling excitedly. He smiles exhaling through his nose as he flips the pages of the book. "Yes."
I sit quietly as he spends the time reading a few things over. I took the time admiring his features as I waited patiently. His slick back black hair, pale skin, and lean figure. They way his brow furrowed in concentration as he focus on what he was studying and how his entire form radiated intelligence. It was atrractive. Very atrractive. He was so handsome.
"Alright..." Loki says closing the book snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Huh... oh yes. Of course." My face went hot and I turned my head away. I heard him chuckle before speaking.
"Watch." He says and I turn my attention back to him. He had plucked a white leaf from the tree and held it in the palm of his hand. He mumbled something and little silver sparkles appeared around the leaf. I leaned closer and the leaf had transformed into a bright green rose with gold trimmed petals. I gasped in amazement and he bent down handing me the flower. I took it in my hands gently staring wide eyed at it. It was so beautiful and it was formed by magic.
"It's beautiful. Truly remarkable..." I whispered.
He smiled. "It's will live for as long as I do, so I wouldn't expect it dying anytime soon."
"May I keep it?" I ask looking up at him with awe struck look.
"Of course. It's yours. I created it for you."
"Thank you, Loki." I say softly and pet the rose gently with my middle finger. He sat next to me watching my amazement.
"You are welcome, (y/n)." My name on his voice made me flustered. After a moment of comfortable silence as I admired the flower, Loki spoke.
"Would you like to see more?" Loki asks reaching and grabbing the book.
"Oh yes!" I say excitedly. He showed me magic and all kinds of amazing things for the rest of the day, but the green rose always had remained my favorite.

Hello, everyone. I hope you are all doing well. Been a bit since I updated and you should probably expect slower updates as I've mentioned before. I usually have nothing to say in these outrose, so I like tor reiterate what I've already said before. Running a bit out of ideas for filler in getting to my next plot point. If you have any ideas let me know and I'll consider it or I'll just come up with something on the whim. I'll see you guys in the next chapter! Tootles!