Chapter 39

Casey and I both lead Langston and Clarrise down the streets. We had taken a carriage out to the country, just a little ways from my mark of land.They had a blind fold covering their eyes. I held Langston's hand with one of my hands and Carmen in my other arm. Casey needs holding both of his mother's hands slowly leading her along. She was bent over slightly and Casey walked backwards as he lead her. He wouldn't stop laughing. The happy giggled made Clarrise smile brightly. She hadn't seen her son so happy before. "This must be one hell of a surprise." She laughed.
"Come on! What is it?" Langston whined.
Carmen laughed patting Langston's head. She squished his messy hair and then clapped her hands.
"Heeeey! Carmen!" He laughed. He's truly showing his bright smile. This was an act that relieved me. Seeing a sparkle peering from his eyes. Loki trailed a distance behind us. Whether it be to give us privacy or because he was embrrassed by us, I didn't care. He was coming along and that was enough for me. We soon got closer to the sight and we could hear the hammering and sawing of wood. "What the bloody hell is that?" Clarrise furrowed her brows in confusion.
"Nothing nothing. Just come on." I say excitedly as we pull them along. As we got closer the noises got louder and I saw the progress for the house was coming along nicely and very quickly. They already had the foundation of the house laid out. Though you still couldn't really tell it was a house yet. The head of the bricklayers nodded towards me in greeting and I smile back. Now the noise was so loud we could barely hear each other. Casey let go of his mother's hands and covered his ears. Langston did the same. Carmen began to cry.
"What in God's name..." Clarrise took off her blind fold and looked around.
"Um... surprise!" Casey cheered.
"Surprise!" I followed. Langston took off his blind fold also looking around. "Where are we?"
"Yeah. Why did you drag us all the way to a construction sight in the country?" Clarrise asked.
"Because this isn't just any construction sight." I say.
"It's a house!" Casey jumped.
"...hmm.... that's a big house." Clarrise muttered softly.
Langston frowns at the sight. "So what?"
"It's a house you'll be sharing." I grinned.
"A...house? Just for us?!" Langston exclaimed. Casey and nodded proudly.
"This house is going to be huge! How are we ever going to be able to afford it?" Clarrise asked.
"Mr. Thompson paid for it!" Casey chirped back. Langston and Clarriseboth looked at Loki, who in turn only rolled his eyes.
"You bought this house for us?" Clarrise asks.
Loki remained silent.
"Why?" Langston asked a little apprehensive.
"I want (y/n) to be happy... she cares for you mor- erm... people and wants a better life for you. I have no reason to deny her request, so I have decided to do this petty  little request for her.... since it seems to mean so much to her." Loki says with a sigh. I was touched by his words, though I hardly find the cause petty, but i suppose to a God like figure it would be.
"You really must love our (y/n) to do something like this." Clarrise smirks crossing her arms.
"I wouldn't have done it otherwise." Loki says unamused.
"When will the house be ready?" Langston asks.
"Um... couple of weeks... maybe." I say hesitantly.
"A couple of weeks? Where are we suppose to go until then?" Langston asks.
"Yeah... and... don't you have to leave, (y/n)? Get back to where you're going? What do you plan on doing with these kids since you have adopted them?" Clarrise asks looking back at the construction. Casey and Langston looked down at the ground now remembering that I wouldn't be staying. Loki raised and eyebrow and looked at me curiously waiting for my answer.
"Well... I actually planned to leave them under your care, Clarrise." I say twiddling my thumbs a bit. She looked surprised, but then furrowed her brows.
"You know I'm not authorized to take care of these children. They'd just be taken away from me." Clarrise said firmly.
"Because of you job and living situation, Clarrise... but now... now you will have a big nice home and you have enough money to hire someone to harvest the oil from this land and get the money to flow in and stabilize yourselves and thrive while living here. You will not have to go back to being a prostitute. You can just stay here and take care of the kids. All you have to do is make certain contracts with oil merchants and then you will be set for life." I say with a big smile. She was silent, thinking it over.
"Wow..." Langston marveled. "You thought of everything!"
"Well... there's still the fact that you were the one to adopt them. You are their legal guardian. You have to be with them. Leaving them with me would be, in the laws eyes, child neglect." Clarrise mentions.
"Right, well... every year child services comes and inspects the child safety and care. You shouldn't see them until next year. That should be enough time for your lives to be thriving. When they come... give them this." I pull out an envelope from my cloak pocket and give it to her.
"What's this?" Clarrise asks taking the envelope.
"The deed to the new house, the adoption papers, proof of verification and identity, a little money, and... my will." I say to her.
"A will? You wrote a will?"
"Yes."
"Why? Do you plan on dying?"
"No, but... I will not be coming back, so there is no reason for me to be attached to these things and have them in my name. The will states that everything, including custody of the kids, will be left to you. It gives you permission to use the money and property as you wish as long as it is in the best interest of the family. It has a list of conditions and guidelines that should cover the ins and outside of everything." I tell her tapping the envelope in her hand. "Everything in this envelope is the key for you to keep this house and live peacefully with the kids on this land."
"What if they don't listen?" Clarrise asks.
"Once they read that will I wrote, they will have no choice, but to evaluate you again... by that time everything will have already fallen into place and you will have your life together. They will see how you've changed and abide by my final wishes." I nodded confidently.
"Wow... that's just.... just..." clarrise looks at the envelope in her hands. She seems as though she might cry again.
"Of course... you actually have to represent yourself as a stable being and a formidable parent. You have to prove yourself. That I cannot do for you. You have to do it yourself." I tell her seriously.
"Yes. Of course...." she nods smiling with a lone tear going down the side of her face. She hugs me. "I will.... thank you, (y/n)."
"You're welcome, Clarrise." I smile hugging her back.
"Um... we still don't know where we're going to stay until the house is ready." Langston points out.
"Oh. Right." I giggle a little and pull out a small pouch Loki gave me. "This is the left over money from the house. You can use it to stay in the inn until the house is ready."
"Wow... really?" Langston says taking the pouch in his hands.
"I'm sure that will be more than enough to sustain us." Clarrise smiled down at Langston who was marveling at the amount of money inside the pouch.
It was silent, except for the sound of hammering and sawing in the background. Casey bit the inside of his cheek as he looks at the grounds and shuffles his feet. "So... what happens now?"
"What do you mean?" I ask him.
"I think he means.... you've helped us. You've set everything out for us now. Doesn't this mean... you have to go now? Aren't you going to leave?" Langston asks hesitantly. I then realized how much power the words held and it stung. A lot. Loki watched me closely.
"I... I suppose so." I nodded trying to keep myself from crying. Casey immediately ran up to me and wrapped his arms tightly around my middle. "Please don't go." I stumble a bit making sure I held Carmen firmly. She began swinging her foot back and fourth playing with Casey's hair with her toes.
"I have to, Casey..." I say placing my hand underneath his chin. "It's for the best."
Casey only held onto me tighter. Langston didn't bother protesting. He just remained silent brooding to himself. He balled his hands into fists holding them tightly at his sides. Clarrise noticed their distress and stepped in. "Can we... can we a least escort you to your departure point and see you off?"
The request made me tense. If they came with me then they'd see that I would not be leaving by boat or car. I'd be leaving by a huge beam of light in the sky. The secret would be blown.
"Um... I'm not sure if that's the best-"
"Please, (y/n)? This is the last time we get to see you..." Langston says sadly. His voice quivered and his eyes were already beginning to water. I didn't know what to do. I looked back at Loki for help or permission to see if it was okay. He only started back uncertain himself. He eventually sighed while rolling his eyes. He just nodded.
I release a breath of relief and smile looking back and the people I know as my family. "Yes.... i suppose that will be fine."
They smile excitedly. Langston comes in for a hug right along side Casey. Carmen hugs Langston's head laughing happily.
"If we are going... then we better go now." Loki says breaking up our moment. I look back at him nodding before turning back to clarrise and the kids. "It's this way..." I say and we begin walking to the outskirts of town. I began to tell the boys everything I wanted them to do while I was gone. I told them to make sure they helped out clarrise as much as they could. I told them to try and be as less selfish as possible and to help make sure to care for Carmen as she grows up. I told them to always clean their rooms and make sure the brand new house I bought them stays in good condition. I told them that they need to stay together always and make sure to take care of each other. I told them so many things as we walked. Clarrise piped up. "And make sure not to give me a hard time. I may be the new parent, but there's no need to make things more difficult than they need to be." She laughed. We laughed with her. Casey noticed we were exiting town and looked around confused. "(Y/n), we're we going? Why are we leaving town?"
"Well... I uh... I'm not travelling by car... or boat... or anything like that. It would be impossible for me to go there with that type of transportation." I say.
"Wait... then where are you going?" Langston asks. I try and think what I could say that would explain things to kids. I wouldn't really be able to explain an alternate world in the sky. They wouldn't understand that unless they are themselves. They would only think I'm crazy. I would have to make a reference to what they know.
"I'm going to heaven." I say simply. Loki just shakes his head at the rediculousness of the thought we could believe in heaven. He scoffs. Of course this notion only alarmed the kids. "Heaven?!" Casey exclaimed.
"I thought you said you weren't dying?!" Clarrise said worried now.
"(Y/n), please don't die!" Langston said in a panic tone.
"Hey. Hey. Everyone. I'm not dying." I say in a calming voice.
"Then why are you going to heaven?" Casey asks.
"Yeah. That's where dead people go." Langston said crossing his arms.
"Uh.... because.... God has called on me to go.... and... I... have to go." I say trying to make up the best story i could. They understood the concept of God. Of course they all still looked at me as if I was insane. Well... i suppose it's better they think I'm insane on something they understand rather than something they don't. "Um... you'll see." I say to them. They only stayed silent exchanging nervous and confused glances with each other. They walked along side me silently. Carmen in my arm, Casey holding my other hand, Langston walking close beside me just behind Casey, and Clarrise following behind the group. Loki, being the distant and quiet man he was, lead the way to the spot silently. He then stopped suddenly and turned to us with his hands in his pockets. "We're here. Say goodbye to your family." He says as we stand in the middle of a large field clearing.
"Oh... okay..." I say sadly. They looked around confused.
"What do you mean we're here? We're in the middle of nowhere..." Langston says.
I sigh. "Just trust me, Langston." I smile at Carmen giving her a kiss on the cheek. She giggles hugging my face. "I love you, Carmen." I cook at her.
"I wuv oo, (y/n)!" She smiles happily and returns my kiss. I hand her to Clarrise. "Bye Bye, Carmen." I wave to her. She pouts when I let her go, but she waves back anyway. "Bye bye." I know she doesn't understand the full extent of what's going on. I also know that she won't remember me when she gets older, but she will always have a place in my heart. I hug clarrise and she does her best with Carmen in her arms. "Bye, Clarrise."
"I don't know what's going on, but... I'll see you around, kiddo. I won't let your hard work go to waste." She says squeezing me tight. A mother's hug.
"I know you won't." I say to her before releasing her. I turn to the boys. I kneel in front of Casey. "Casey, you've showed quite bravery and emotion since I've come back. You've done well at expressing you emotions and you don't seem like the same shy boy you once were." I tell him placing my hands on his shoulders. "I don't want you to lose that spark you've gotten. I want you to continue to be brave and continue to Express your personality openly. Show everyone just how amazing Casey Smith really is, okay?" He nods determined. I nod back giving him a big hug. I kiss his forehead and stand back up looking at Langston next. "Langston... I know things have been hard lately... it's not fair you lost one parent and now both...especially for a boy your age, but remember that you still have family that's here for you. You are the most silly, energetic, strongest soldier I know. I know you've seen things, but know that whatever you're feelings... you can always talk to your family about it and we will help you through it. We will always be on your side to protect you. And know that Carmen needs you. You are her older brother and she needs you in her life to show her right from wrong and to keep the memory of your parents alive. You are now the man of the house and the oldest kid. It is now your job to set an example to Casey and Carmen just as I have done for you. Be their role model. Show them they can trust you to lead them into a life where they can be amazing people and show the world that all of you only came out stronger from what you've all been through together."
"What if I can't do it?" Langston says with his head hung low.
"I know you can do it, Langston. I've seen you at your best and I've seen you at your worst. You've seen hell and you spat in its face. You can do this. I believe in you." I say seriously to him. I embrace him.
"You may be overestimating me." He says hugging back softly.
"No. I'm not. You're just underestimating yourself. Listen... when you feel like giving up and the world is crashing down on you, I want you to do something for me." I say looking straight into his eyes.
"What?" He asks looking up at me.
"I want you to talk to the stars... because that's where I'll be. If you have something to say then say it to the stars. I'll be listening. Even when i done reply I'll be listening, so you can tell me anything... just like you did at the orphanage." I say.
"How will you hear me?" He asks.
"I'll hear you. Just trust me. You trust me don't you?" I say with a smile.
"Of course!" He says and hugs me tighter. "I'll always trust you."
"Then trust that I'll hear you." I say rubbing his back.
"...okay..." he says softly.
"You'll do what I said?" I ask him.
"...yes..." he nods.
"Okay..." I say releasing him. I look at both boys. "I trust you both will stick to my conditions and do what I say."
"We will, (y/n)!" Casey says confidently.
"Great." I hug them both one more time and give a kiss on both their cheeks. "I love you both."
"We love you too, (y/n)" the day in unison. Loki clears his throat and I sigh letting the boys go. I stand directly beside Loki and look back at my family. They have sad smiles on their faces as they wave goodbye to me for good. I wave back.
"Hiemdall has probably woken up by now... he will not be happy on our return." Loki says to me softly and crosses his arms with a sigh. "I know he's watching."
"I still think we did the right thing. Thank you. Loki." I say taking his hand in mind. He glances down at our hands and sighs again. "You're welcome." He looks up to the sky. "Alright, Hiemdall... we're ready..." he says begrudgingly.
I wave one more time to my family mouthing one last 'I love you' to them before the huge flash of colorful lights takes us into the sky.
Of course despite this being the third time I've traveled this way to and from Asguard, I can never seem to land on my feet when exiting the portal. I fall forward into the ground of Hiemdalls gate. Loki just steps right out as if it was a walk in the park. I look up from the floor to see Hiemadall, George, and Thor all standing there with their arms crossed and stern looks on their faces. They were not happy with us at all.
"Oh Lord... we're in trouble."

Hello, everyone! I know it's been a while. A long while in fact, but my health has declined again and I have been trying to push through that while also preparing for some new big steps in my life. I hope you can forgive me. Anyway. I'm not sure when these chapters are going to come out and truth be told I won't be taking the time to proof read them either. I'll just do these when I can and I hope you'll still see them when I post them. I hope you are all doing swell and are making it through life. Well that's all I wanted to tell you. I post as soon as I can and I will see you in the next chapter! Toodles!