Chapter 38

I asked Casey's help to me prepare things to give them a normal life before I go permantly. He seemed more than happy to, but not in the way I thought. He only seemed to want to spend all of this time with me is because he wants to avoid his mother.
"Casey... do you want to talk about something?" I ask him as we just leave the oilers company. I'm having them go out to Clarrise's new land. I used part of her money to hire them. They're a lot cheaper and more desperate to find a source of money and I figured that they could pay a large, but reasonable amount to mine their every six months for copper and oil. Now she has a source of money that will be flowing in. The first payment of an interest fee to give permission to mine on the was paid up front so now I have about $800. Now it's time to go visit the bricklayers office. They just finished rebuilding their workshop again front he attack.
"No." Casey shakes his head.
"Are you sure? You've seemed angry lately and don't think I haven't noticed you avoiding and ignoring your mum." It tell him. He only shrugs.
"Casey, you can't treat your mum this way. It's disrespectful."
"She's the one being disrespectful!" Casey snapped. "She was scolding Langston and that's not fair. Langston was sad and she made him sadder."
"She was worried."
"She was mean."
"It just came out as anger."
"It's mean." He sighed hanging his head. "I don't understand..."
"What Don't you understand?" I ask him as we walk.
"Why doesn't mum love Langston and Carmen too?" He pouts.
"She does... it's just... You are her son. She needs to protect you first."
"But why? Why can't she protect all of us?"
"Um... it's complicated, Casey. You will understand when you're older."
He grunted. "You're just like mum. She said that too."
"I think your mum is stressed and frustrated. You know she does a lot for you and it makes her sad that she can't give you the life you deserve. She doesn't have a lot of money and she's constantly trying to support the both of you."
"I don't want money. I want to go home and I want mum to stop being so sad and mad." Casey says glaring ahead of him. Lately Casey's been expressing all sorts of emotion. Something that hasn't been seen before. He was only just a shy quiet boy. I only sigh. I had no way of making him understand. He was just too young to understand all of these adult problems. Although I'm not happy my home was attacked, it did leave many open opportunities to give them a better life and for that I'm grateful. Now there was a silver lining.
"Well, guess what." I say glancing at him with a smile. He looks up at me with furrowed eyebrows. "What?"
"Do you know what you're helping me with today?"
He shakes his head. "No."
"Today you're helping me give all of you that better life so you, Clarrise, and Langston doesn't have to be sad anymore." I tell him with a nod.
"Really? How?" I could tell he was getting his hopes up.
"Well, I have some land that I gave to your mum. Land that can give a lot of money."
"Land?" He asks confused. "Like the ground?"
"Sort of, but this is land that you can run and play on and no-one can take it away from you."
"Oooh~ really?"
"Mhm. And today you are going to help me pick out some things for a brand new house to go on the land that you, your mum, Langston, and Carmen can all live in together." I smiled. He stops in his tracks and looks up at me in disbelief. "Really? Really? Really? We get our own house!"
I nod happily. He starts to jump up and down excitedly. He grabs my hand and began swinging it back and forth. He was acting so silly. I giggled.
"With this house there will be plenty of food to eat."
"We could have beef stew everyday?"
"If you wanted to. You will have plenty of clothes to wear and more than one pare of shoes."
"Can we have more toys?"
"Yes. A lot more toys."
"Would we be like the nobles?"
"Maybe not like the nobles, but very well." I smile at his happiness.
"Wow..." He says breathless.
"Now don't tell your mum or Langston. It's a surprise."
He nodded rapidly. "Okay! I promise!"
"Good." I ruffle his hair. "Now let's go pick things out for the new house, yeah?"
"Yeah!" He cheered and took the liberty to lead the way with a hop and a skip.
It didn't take long for us to arrive and Casey couldn't be more excited to start. He picked out bright colors and sturdy materials for the house. It seemed he had a whole idea of what house he wanted. Of course his ideas were straight from a child's mind so I had to make sure to compromise with him to keep the house from being too exaggerated or from going out of price range. Of course I wanted them to have a nice house, but some things are just too much and we were on a budget.
It proved to be harder than I originally thought to stay within price range. Major things had to be taken out to fit the price. By the end I looked at the money and the design house and I was fairly disappointed to say the least. Casey also seemed disappointed. "And this is your total." The head engineer says handing me a piece of paper. I looked at it and gasped at the quadruple numbers. We couldn't afford this at all. I had such high hopes. I promised a house and this sorry excuse is what I have to show for it? A sorry excuse I can't even afford. I look down to see Casey peering up at me with concerned eyes and I didnt know how to make that look go away. I was trying my absolute best. I thought my plan was perfect, until now that is.
"Here. This should cover the expenses and more." A voice said and a pouch of gold dropped onto the counter. Casey's and I jaw dropped and we looked up to see Loki standing there in his dashing suit with one hand in his pocket.
"Mr. Thomason!" Casey exclaimed. Loki only smirked.
"Loki..." I whispered breathless. He ignored me turning back to the man.
"This should cover the house and to improve it. It looks pitiful." He says scruchinf his face at the design. I stand tall and nod also. "U-uh. Yes. This house looks horrid."
"Yeah! Horrid!" Casey mimics.
The man looks skeptically at the push and opens it taking out a gold coin. He bites it. He widens his eyes at the authenticity of the coin and pockets it. He nods. "Of course, sir. Please, tell us what we can do to make this house to your liking."
Loki looks at me and nods to the design. "Go ahead." He says wrapping an arm around my waist. Casey and I share excited look and immediately went back to work, this time not holding back at what we want no matter how expensive. Of course I couldn't leave Loki without a quick appreciative kiss before Casey dragging me away.