Chapter 24

Awkward. That was about the only way I could describe this meeting with the Queen and King of Asguard. I sat quietly in my seat with my hands clasped in my lap, my food untouched and my gaze burning into the wood surface of the table. Frigga seemed to sense my unease and she observed with her head high. She took small bites of her food as she analyzed my body language. I shifted under her gaze. Odin, however, continued on with his meal normally as if I wasn't in front of him. He ate peacefully and hardly even turned his eyes to my general direction. Beyla says that Odin cares for Midguardians. I can't say I'm feeling the love. Frigga sighed before setting down her fork onto her plate. "This silence is intoxicating. Dear, you didn't call (y/n) here to sit in silence and cause her poor heart to exhaust itself." I originally jumped at Frigga's voice, but settled as I watched her turn in her chair towards her husband and speak to him with confidence and assertiveness. A true woman who can hold herself high. "You have a purpose, now take care of business. Don't waste this poor girl's time."
"Alright, Frigga. Calm down." Odin says calmly raising a hand to calm and silence Frigga. A gesture telling her he heard her and she need not continue. He finishes chewing his bite and uses a napkin to wipe his mouth before clearing his throat. There was another moment of silence before he looked up at me pushing his plate to the side and calling his fingers. "You haven't touched your food. Is it not to your liking?" He asks.
"Oh no. It's fine. I am not all that hungry. My mind is elsewhere, sir." I say trying to keep my voice together.
He nods. He didn't seem to believe me or, for that matter, even care.
"Do you know why you're here?" He asks. For in fact I did.
"You're going to tell me what you're going to do with me.... whether I can stay or if I shall be sent home." I bite my lip.
"Those eyes..." He points to me. "...are why  you're here. Those eyes have caused much conflict and turmoil across the nine realms. Greed filled tyrants are lashing out and showing themselves because they are attracted to the power that shines through your irises. People are dying and war is threatening to break out, all because a mortal became a vessel and doesn't know how to use her power. We are containing you. That is why you are here."
"I... I u-uh... I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause such tragedy." I felt awful. People did die because of me. I've seen it with my own eyes. My mind wandered back to that vision with that woman and her baby that lost their lives because they were in the cross fire of the monsters that were looking for me. I should feel bad. Noone deserved the torture they got. Mu- Patricia didn't deserve her death and whatever torture leading up to it. "I would understand you throwing me back home." I say looking up at him in his eyes.
"No. That will put everyone in more harms way. Midguard would turn into a battle grounds and humans would become unnecessary sacrifices." He says firmly as he holds my eyes.
"So... you aren't sending me home?" I ask surprised. "You want me to stay?"
"For everyone's own safety, yes. I find it more responsible to keep my eye on you at a closer distance than worlds  apart, especially now that others, enemies, know of your existence." He holds his head high in authority.
"Why could I not stay the first time I was brought here?" I ask.
"At the time your birth was barely known to Midguardians, much less others of the nine realms. I thought you could go through your short  life undisturbed and the essence in your body would disappate from existence, but somehow you were found out." He sighs pinching the bridge of his nose. "That was my mistake. That kind of power can't roam freely and unsupervised. It was foolish of me."
"Now, it's not foolish to want the girl to live a normal life amongst her own people." Frigga told him placing a hand on his arm.
"It was foolish to let that kind of power loose, especially in a living vessel. You should have stayed here to begin with... then not one's life would have had to been so unnecessarily discarded. This could have been prevented if I had only made the right decision..." Odin frowns seriously. He clearly was blaming himself and not me. He was blaming the power within me and not me. He's hurt. His heart hurts. It hurts with guilt and pity. It makes my heart hurt. It makes me feel sad for him and it makes me eant to cry. It also disgusts me. "Stop. Stop, immediately." I say lowly, borderlining disrespect.
"Excuse me?" Odin says seriously and Frigga looked shocked that I spoke out of turn.
"Stop giving yourself pity. It wasn't a mistake. It was a series of events that couldn't have been avoided. You are not a profit. Wallowing in what could have been and what you should have done is just pitiful, disgusting, and a waste of time." I furrow my eyebrows and frown.
"I suggest you watch yourself." Odin warned.
"You are a king! One of the greatest kings I have ever read about. Such strength, honor, mercy, and compassion! A firm ruling with decision of heart. You are Odin!" I stand from my seat. "Odin doesn't wallow. He acts accordingly. Wallowing is for mortals. We look to the gods as examples for how we are. Noone wants to see their God stewing in selfpity." The room was silent for a moment. Frigga looked to Odin for his response showing no type of emotion herself. Odin held my gaze with a stern look in his eyes. The silence was thick and it was starting to make me feel uncomfortable. Nervous even.
"How is your relationship with Loki?" He suddenly asked.
I was caught off guard. "...what?"
"I heard you two have been spending quite some time together over the last couple of weeks. He seems to be growing fond of you." Odin says eating once more.
"What does that have to-"
"Because Loki has a tendency to have his tongue a little too loose and if you are spending as much time as I've been told then I suspect his influence is affecting you." Odin says taking a bite before looking up at me.
"I-I um...uh..." I clear my throat and hold my head high and my shoulders back while crossing my arms. "My tongue is not effected my Loki's influence. My decisions are my own."
"I have to agree with (y/n). He sharp tongue is nothing new, Odin. She has shown it multiple times in being here, even before Loki's attraction to her." Frigga tells him. Odin ponders this for a few moments before speaking."Your attitude is disrespectful and you clearly do not know your place or when a line has been stepped over, but your words do hold wisdom. You are clearly very smart and have much to say." Odin says taking another bite.
"Wait...what... really?" I look confused now.
"Yes. Really. I am letting you stay. Your attitude is pushing my patience. Push it more and I will find a different place for you. One with more seclusion and constant watch. Almost like a cell. I'm sure you don't want to be a prisoner, do you?"
"No, sir." I mutter
"That's better. Now I think our time together is over for now." He says leaning back in his chair. I nod. "Now I don't want our relationship to be damaged on a little lashing out. If you talk to me with respect like you do others then I believe we can do well together." Odin gives a small smile almost like he was amused. I smile back excitedly.
"Yes! Of course! I'd love that."
He nods. "Alright then. This should be the start of something wonderful. I will let you go now."
I nod to him. "Thank you."
I head to the door with a skip in my step. I open the door before his voice stopped me.
"I suggest you don't speak out of line again." He says in a low threatening voice. "Also, welcome to Asguard."
I gulp and nod with a nervous smile. "Thank you."  I exit the room with a sigh closing the door behind me.
"How did it go?"
I jump out of my skin whipping around to the voice. I let out a breath of relief seeing Loki standing there leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. I hold my heart. "Dear, God you scared me."
He chuckle with a smirk. "I am a god." He pushed off the wall walking towards me. He approaches right in front me looking down into my eyes. "I've been waiting quite awhile for you."
"Oh... really?" I ask.
"Yes. I want to show you something." He steps aside letting me go first. I glance at him before walking forward. He follows before taking the lead. I get butterflies in my stomach as I watch his back leading me to wherever. It seems like I can follow him anywhere. Speaking of which... where is he taking me?

Hello, everyone. It's been a bit. I hope you're all doing well. Now I do have my own life and I have been extremely busy, but I'm coming at ya with another part of the story. I'll see you guys in the next chapter. Toodles!