Chapter 37

It was done. The adoption papers were filled out and I paid the adoption fee with the money I left for me. It's been a whole day, going on a second and Langston still hasn't woken up. The doctor had came and put some ointment and a bandage around the forming blisters and cloth burns around his neck.  I had Loki bring Clarrise and I explained to her what happened. Ms. Higgans would barely let her cross the front door because of all the times she tried to get and visit Casey. Luckily, Loki had a thing or two to say about it and easily convinced her to let Clarrise in. She too was heart broken when she found out and had tears of her own to shed. "This is my fault. I should have tried for all of them. Then at least he would feel like someone was there for him." She sniffles.
"We aren't here to put blame on each other or ourselves. We're hear for Langston and to take care of him in his time of need." I sighed sitting with Carmen on the floor trying to keep her distracted with little toys.
"What's going to happen now? They can't stay here under the care of that woman." Clarrise says looking at her own son sleeping on his bed.
"They aren't staying here." I say stroking Carmen's  hair. "I've adopted them."
"What?!" Clarrise exclaims.
"You did what?!" Loki says though with more irritation.
"I said I adopted them." I smiled to myself.
"That's brilliant." Clarrise laughed.
"No. This is terrible." Loki says. "You can't bring those kids back with us."
"What why?" Clarrise asks.
"I know." I tell him.
"What are we suppose to do if these kids are yours now?" Loki asks crossing his arms. "We can't care for them."
"I don't understand." Clarrise shakes her head confused. "Why is this so terrible? Why can't you take care of them? What's going on?"
"Don't worry, Clarrise. Everything is fine." I reassure her.
"Everything is not fine. You've been so worried about abandoning them and you'd only be doing the same when we leave again." Loki says.
"Wait. You're leaving again? You didn't say this to me." Clarrise looks directly at me. "When are you coming back?"
"...never..." I bite my lip.
"Are you joking? You've been missing for months and everyone was thinking you were dead. We grieved you. All of us, especially the kids. Now after only a day you're going to pack up and leave again? Not only that, but you aren't taking them with you? This is unbelievable. This is cruel, especially for you." Clarrise stood from her seat. "Imagine how they're going to feel when you up and leave again. They're only going to end up right back here. Then who's to say that Langston won't try the same shit again or perhaps it would be Casey this time. You can't play with their hearts and feelings. It's not right."
"Both of you, calm down. I'm not leaving until I know they're going to be okay. I'm not abandoning them with nothing. I have a plan." I tell them.
"Enlighten me." Loki says.
"Where's the fun in that, love?" I smirk at him. "Just trust me."
He sighs rolling his eyes and leaves the room.
"Who is he?" Clarrise.asks after he already left.
"He's..." I had to think about it for a moment. What was Loki to me now? I suppose since recent events our relationship has changed. "He's my lover."
"What? Now that's something new." Clarrise smirks crossing her arms. "It seems James isn't the only one who's moved on quickly."
"James had moved on just after he figured I was dead. We had just become lovers recently." I tell her.
"How is that going for you?"
"So far... I don't know. We hit some disagreements, but we always seem to come back to each other. Just like now."
She nods. "I see. What did you say his name was again?"
"Um... I didnt. Um... His name is... Tom. Tom Thomason." I say. "I'm currently playing his wife. We aren't married though."
"How did you adopt the children if you used a fake last name?"
"I used my "maiden" name." I chuckle.
Clarrise laughs. "You've become quite cunning since you left. Tell me. What's this man providing for you? What's he do?"
"Oh um..." what was I suppose to say to her. I can't tell her the truth. She wouldn't even believe me. I couldn't lie to her either. I would feel bad. "He's a prince."
"A Prince! Oh my god... You hooked a prince?" Clarrise says with wide eyes. "The prince of what?"
"You wouldn't have heard of it." I tell her.
"Try me."
"Asguard."
"... You're right. I've never heard of it." She says bluntly.
"I know, but he and his brother are princes. His brother is...interesting. Very different from him. Almost the opposite actually." I laugh.
"I still can't believe you're lovers with a prince."
"It took much dedication on his part, but I did eventually say yes. As of early this morning actually."
"Oh my... when you said recently, I didnt think you meant that recent. You really do have him hooked tight if he's begging for your attention."
"He saved my life. I couldn't possibly say no."
"How so?"
"I was attacked on my way to the orphanage early this morning and he fought off the man and saved me before I got shot."
"You were attacked?!"
"Yes."
"How could so many things go wrong in just the spans of a day?" She sighs. "Well I'm happy he was there to help you. I don't know what I would be done if you were hurt too."
"Thank you. I feel loved." I smile.
"You are loved, doll face." She chuckles fixing the bust of her dress. "You know, you'd make good money working with me. If you needed to the money of course. You gave all of it to me."
"No. I don't need the money. You keep it." I tell her.
"How are you going to support yourself?"
"Actually where I'm at I'm already provided for."
"Well... lucky lucky lucky you. You have it all laid out for you." She scoffs. "Not all of us get that. Don't be ungrateful."
"I promise you. I'm not." I nod. "Clarrise, may I talk with you about something?"
"You already are." She takes money from the inside of her dress and begins to count it. "What's on your mind, darlin'?"
"Why do you stay in the prostitution business?"
She pauses and glances at me. "It pays the bills. You know that."
"No I mean... You've been in your line of work for as long as I can remember. How come you haven't sought another profession?"
"Why are you asking?"
"Well I know you can't get Casey because of your job, and it made me curious."
"Once you get involved in my line of work for so long,  (y/n), then you make a name for yourself. When other places hear or have been told you're a side class whore then no-one is going to hire you. Then you're trapped and you have to stay in what brings in money. I didnt want to remain this way for as long as I did, but it only got harder when Casey was born." Clarrise shakes her head rolling up her money and sticking it back in the bust of her dress.
"What would it take for you to stop this type of work?" I ask setting Carmen in my lap and she plays with a spoon.
"Money." She states firmly. "If I had enough money to support Casey and I or even Langston and Carmen then I would be out of that job in a heart beat."
"I can help. I know I can." I say to her.
"Don't worry your head over this. You've already given us land and money to build a house we can call our own. You've done enough."
"No. I haven't. I haven't done all that I can. I know how I can do more."
"How do you think you can help more?"
"I will keep you financially stable until you are able to leave the life you are living now and I will put the kids in a better place. Just give me a little time and I will figure something out." I say standing and picking Carmen up.
"You haven't proven otherwise so..." She sighs. "I'll trust you."
"Thank you."
"Lane son...." Carmen babbled. We look at her confused. She reaches over my shoulder behind me. "Lane son..."
We turn around and see Langston's eyes cracked open staring at the ceiling confused. "Langston!" We say and hurry over, leaning over his bed. He looks up at us, his puffy eyes keeping him from opening then all the way. "(Y/n)-" he winced, his voice was raspy and I could tell it hurt when he spoke.
"Don't speak. I know it hurts." I told him gently giving Clarrise Carmen. I knelt down by his bed holding his hand. It seemed to hurt for him to turn his head as well.
"I'm... sorry..." He gulped painfully. I shushed him. "I told you not to speak. I want you to rest."
Langston reaches up and touches the bandage around his neck. He ran his fingers along the creases and dents. It was like he was confirming to himself on what had happened.
"That was a stupid thing you did, Langston." Clarrise says bouncing Carmen on her hip.
Langston looks at her and then back at the ceiling gulping again and giving raspy breaths. You could already see the tears welling up in his eyes, but he tried his best not to cry.
"You could have done more damage to yourself. You worried (y/n) and I sick."
"Clarrise, that's enough." I told her seeing as she was obviously upsetting Langston even more. Langston was trying his hardest to keep it together. He even turned his head away from us. Now was not the time to try and guilt trip the boy.
"You would have left Carmen family-less. Do you know what kind of position you put Casey in?"
"Clarrise, please stop." I begged her.
"He's probably more upset and scarred than when he came in here with you."
"THEN GO!" Langston yelled at her his raspy voice cracking and not actually getting above a loud whisper. "...g-go...to C-C-Casey..." He didn't even look at us. His chest was heaving and hiccuping and tears were running across his face staining the pillow he lay on. He still tried to fight them. He made no more movements or sounds now feeling the physical and emotional pain of his body. I sighed and gave a subtle glare at Clarrise. I know she was worried, but it didn't have to come out so angry and harsh, especially in this emotional time for him. He only just woke up. He's only twelve, almost thirteen... He shouldn't be in this situation. Casey had already woken up and was quietly watching the entire scene not saying a word. He finally sat up grabbing our attention. "Casey." Clarrise breathed. He frowned at her and walked past her. "Casey." She called again, but he paid her no mind as he walked out the room.
"Clarrise, all of that was inappropriate and harsh." I said standing up.
"He doesn't realize-"
"Yes. He does. He wouldn't have apologized if not. These are things that probably had already went through his mind. He's not a baby and he isn't stupid. He knows, but he's hurt. His hurt outweighed everything and now he's already paid his lesson. Now let it go. He's alive. We're happy he's alive and okay. He doesn't need to be scolded. He needs to be nurtured." I crossed my arms and heaved. "Casey needs attention. He's upset now. Go to him." I tell her. She seemed to really have felt the impact of her actions. She glances at Langston who still had tears and then at me who only showed anger. "Go. Now." She placed a hand on her chest looking at the ground. "I'm sorry." She whispered before leaving following her son. I sighed and went back to sitting on the floor by his bed. I rest my head on the bed and hold his hand. "It's okay to cry, Langston. It won't make you any less strong."
With that I heard his soft whimpers as he starts to sob. He turns to me reaching out and I immediately move from my spot and embrace him into me. His cries sounded painful which I only imagined caused him to cry more. They sounded like his lungs were creaming for help and his throat was desperate for rest. Loud ragged choking breaths and tormented cries. He needed this. He needed to cry. I only embraced him harder and rubbed his back. I couldn't help but to cry with him. I was unbelievably sad, grateful, and overjoyed all at the same time.
"You're okay. You're okay." I told him softly in between cries of my own. I sniffled and try to keep any tears or snot from going on to him. He was crushed, but now I feel like I could deliver some sort of good news to him.
"Langston... You don't have to stay here any longer." I told him. He lays back hiccuping, but eyes me confused. I wiped some tears from his face. "I've officially adopted you." I would tell him the details of the adoption later. How I won't be keeping them, but I wanted him to have this. Have this to hold onto for now. I know he will do okay just knowing he will be out of this place and with people he knows. People who are considered family.
His eyes widen and then his face scrunched up again to cry more. He reaches out for me again, but this time he slides out of bed and onto his knees on the floor when I hugged him. His arms were around my neck and his head was hung low. I petted his hair and rocked him. He was completely broken, and he was crying his heart out, but for the first time since I've seen him, I could tell he had hope.

Hello, everyone. Another chapter. I'm not quite sure if this one made sense and it was more just for filler. I hope it's fine. Please leave a comment. I love listening to you all. Until then, I will see you in the next chapter. Toodles!