68/ You Can Live Without Them

I made a chapter a while ago about crushes, something which I thought I had experience on until I experienced a true crush. And it's hurt like hell. The amount of tears I've shed, the amount of hours I've hurt, just because I like someone and there's no chance in hell they like me back.

So after feeling this pain, this sadness, and this horrible unrequited love, I decided that I was sick of being sad. Of having false hope anytime she hugged me. And so I went through a mission to go back to being happy and moving on from her once and for all. Hopefully this plan will help overcome your crush as well.

1) Don't allow yourself to indulge in your own sadness. I wallowed in my tears, I think there was a part of me which kind of liked being so terribly upset. But don't settle for this constant state of sadness. Don't allow yourself to daydream about what could have been, focus on the present and what's happening. Be strict with yourself. This has been the hardest part for me.

2) Try to look at them differently. It's hard. It's really really hard to look at someone who you've been crushing on for the past few months in any other way by adoration, but try and see them as a friend. Notice their flaws, unattractive qualities in their personality. Don't make them into an untouchable idol.

3) Find other things to focus on. Don't allow yourself to think about them all the time and to fixate on things they've done.

Hopefully these three tips will help you get started on your road to getting over your crush. I'll let you know how I get on.

So rule sixty eight of surviving Teenagehood: as Adele once said, never mind I'll find someone like you.