41/ Stop Throwing A Hissy Fit

It sometimes feels like parents are out there to ruin your life. 'I'm never going to be like that when I have kids' you might hear yourself say when you're parent or guardian has done something particularly annoying.

But sometimes it is vital to take a step back and look at a situation from your parent/ guardian's perspective. What you're asking might be quite a lot, and because you're so excited to do it you haven't thought of any potential dangers. I used to get so angry when my parents said I couldn't go certain places, but looking back it was because they were worried that I could get hurt if I was by myself.

Shouting and screaming at your guardians isn't going to solve anything, and will 9 time out of 10 make the situation much worse. What I've learnt is that sitting down and having a discussion rather than an argument is far more effective in coming to a compromise about something you want. Let's say you've asked your mum if you can go to cinema and she says no; rather than enrage her by yelling,  ask her why, and then structure your answer to combat her reasons for not letting you go.

Treat your guardians with respect if they deserve it, and they'll treat you the same. If you want to do mature and grown up things, you have to act mature.

So rule forty two of surviving Teenagehood: do not, under any circumstances, yell at an already angry mother. They will eat you alive.