33/ You Better Stop, Stop Before...

We all get hotheaded at times in our lives. It's quite easy when Stacey's eaten the FUCKING LAST cookie. But that doesn't mean we have to give in to our emotions, and making clear-headed, decisive decisions is a big part of growing up. We are no longer toddlers, throwing tantrums is unfortunately no longer acceptable.

If you ever find yourself in a situation in which you feel as though your emotions may make you do something stupid, close your eyes and take a deep breath. Try to think what a rationally minded person would do in the situation, and try to rid yourself of the explosive thoughts that are wracking your mind.

Other situations teenagers find themselves in, in which they may make stupid choices, is when peer pressure comes into role. It's easy to do things you usually wouldn't when you're at a party and everyone around you is egging you on to drink that bottle or kiss that person. Saying 'no' doesn't make you a killjoy, and I can guarantee that in a few minutes no one will even remember you refusing to do something.

The easiest way to combat peer pressure is to politely say no, and move the conversation somewhere else. If you immediately become defensive or angry the person asking you to do something may become aggressive or aggravated which puts you in a vulnerable situation.

If the person persists on asking you to do something you don't want to, keep saying no and try and find people around you to help you get away from that person. If that person won't take no for an answer, and there is no one around to help, try and remove yourself from that situation immediately, either by walking away or using force to get away. Unfortunately, sometimes that isn't possible and I hope that no one reading this will ever have to be placed in that position. If you feel as though you have no way of escaping someone, make as much noise as you can, attack the groin area (if it is a male) or the throat with a clear chop action which will hopefully stun them enough for you to get out their grasp. Scratching or hitting may not have any effect on someone other than angering them even more, so try and attack areas which will physically stop the other person for a few seconds.

So rule thirty three of surviving Teenagehood: take a deep breath to stop yourself going into Hulk-mode.