24/ Do Not Be Blinded By The Filters

FOMO. Fear of missing out. It's that sinking feeling as you watch someone else's snapchat story or scroll through Instagram posts about an event you weren't at. Maybe you weren't invited or you couldn't go, but we've all experienced that feeling of being left out.

Your mind suddenly scares itself with questions like 'what if they all have inside jokes now that I can't join in with?' or 'have I just missed the best party of the year?'

Stop.

If you spend your life regretting not going to things, you'll never go and do things that you actually want to do. So what if you missed that party or event? That event will be old news in a few weeks, and won't matter to anyone else.

What I've found that works to avoid getting crushing FOMO is to just smile and laugh along when people are talking about an event I've missed. If you dwell on the fact that you didn't get to experience that one crazy night everyone else did you'll never move on in life. Look ahead, and try and make other memories with people.

It can feel very unfair when everyone else is having fun and you're sat at home, but enjoy the time you have by yourself. Remember that people can very easily hide their boredom on social media and make events look much better than they are.

So rule twenty four of surviving Teenagehood: events aren't in sepia, or X Pro, or Lo-Fi. And usually aren't that good anyway. You're not missing out.