58/ Hello Miss Trunchbull

Look, it's just a universal truth - some teachers are annoying as hell. Some of them are bad, some of them are annoying, some of them set too much work, and some of them may hate you for no apparent reason (grrr, @myhistoryteacher). And as students it's very easy to use these bad qualities of a teacher to act bad and not do any work.

When you have a negative opinion of a teacher, you tend to have a negative opinion of a subject which makes you want to work less but this is not a healthy mindset. Let me give you a real life example. During my physics GCSE I had two pretty bad teachers, and so therefore I chose to just ignore what either of them said in any lesson regardless of whether it useful or not. But when it came time to revise, I realised that I had not paid any attention at all that year simply because I had a negative image of my teachers, and basically I was screwed because had to teach the whole course to myself.

It's good to be the bigger person, because the real winner of this situation will be you. Even if your teacher is the worst teacher ever, work hard for that subject and know that all your success will be down to you.

If your teacher is one of those teachers who is just mean and harsh for no apparent reason, this also isn't a reason to not work or mess about to purposefully annoy the teacher. Stay out of trouble kids! The best tactic with these teachers is to get on their good side, so do your work and try and stay engaged in class for at least the first half of it.

Now, if a teacher just straight up doesn't like you, you can be placed in a difficult place. Do you fight back and actively show your dislike of them? Or do you try and win them over? The answer is trying to win them over, and honestly this is the best thing for you when you consider that your teachers mark your work, and they choose your grades so having them on your good side is handy. Don't go overboard of course, because this may backfire and they just dislike you even more.

So rule fifty eight of surviving Teenagehood: you don't have to like them, but just fake it till you make it (to graduation).

Comment any topics you'd like to see covered in this book!