Epilogue - Dear Little Children

-

"Okay, okay. It's time for bed you four." Betty said to her four children as they all darted towards their bed.

"Mama. Can you sing for us?" Henry asked his Mother and she shrugged.

"I dunno Henry. I am not that great at singing."

"A lulaby or anything!" Fran-Elle said excitedly.

Betty sighed, walking towards her rocking chair.

"Dear Little children what to say to you?" She began and the four cheered and giggled. "You have our eyes. You have your Father's name." She glanced at John who giggled again when his Mother looked at him.

"When you all came into the world, you cried and it broke my heart." Betty chuckled as she walked towards their beds.

"I'm dedicating everyday to you, domestic life. Was really kinda my style, but when you smile-"

All of them giggled and she awed at them.

"Ya'll knock me out and I fall apart, and the thought I was so smart." Betty chuckled as she sat on her eldest son's bed.

"You will come of age with our young nation." Betty sang and it seemed like the children faded into older and more mature looking teenagers.

All of them smiled at their mother as she continued to sing. Fran-Elle crossing her arms and rolling her eyes, Henry listening closely, Jennie giggling and John smiling.

"I'll bleed and fight for you."

There, an older version of Fran-Elle was screaming at Betty, tears form I g in her eyes.

Betty sighed and smiled at them.

"I'll make it right for you." She said and she saw an older version of her and the children, crying and hugging.

"If I lay a strong enough foundation. I'll pass it onto you, I'll give the world to you and you'll blow us all away. Someday, someday. Yeah, you'll blow us all away." Betty smiled and Henry hugged Betty, and she hugged him back.

"Mama, are you proud of us?" He asked her and some smiled.

"Oooh, Henry when you smile I am undone, my son." She said to him and Henry grinned. "Look at my son." She hugged him tighter. "Pride is not the word I'm looking for, there is so much more inside me now."

Henry giggled and Betty walked over to Fran-Elle.

"Oooh. Ella you outshine the morning sun, my girl." Betty chuckled and kissed her cheek. "When you all smile. I fall apart, and the thought I was so smart."

Everybody giggled as they continued to listen to their Mother. Betty sighed and shed a tear, wiping it quickly.

"Your Father won't be around."

"Papa won't be around?" Fran-Elle questioned.

"But I swear the I'll be around for you." Betty sniffed, hugging her daughter.

~

"Henry!" Fran-Elle screamed at her brother. "You took my necklace!"

"I was analysing it!"

"Why the fu-"

"Language!" Jennie yelled and John sighed.

"But why would you-"

"He's weird Johnny, we're all weird." Jennie sighed.

~

"You will come of age with our young nation."

~

"We did it!" Fran-Elle screamed. "We finished!"

~

"I'll bleed and fight for you."

~

"I'm sorry Momma." Jennie cried.

~

"I'll make it right for you."

~

"Thank you for being there with me Mom."

~

"If I lay a strong enough foundation. I'll pass it onto you, I'll give the world to you."

~

"I love you Momma."

~

"And you'll blow us all away. Someday, someday. Yeah you'll blow us all away."

They all were snoring by now, Henry hugging his pillow, Fran-Elle with her arms outstretched like a spread eagle, Jennie snoring lightly and Johnny with his thumb in his mouth.

"Good night my little children."

She blew out the little flame from the candle and walked out their door.

-

"Rise and shine you all."

"Mom!" They all groaned as Betty opened the curtains.