Just a Fraction of Freedom

-

Betty groaned. Her eyes fluttering open slightly, looking at the blurred verion of the world until her vision slowly focuses on her ceiling. She blinked a couple times before sitting up and rubbing her eyes. She yawned and looked around her room. Her window was open and her curtains lightly flew around, it was a cool spring morning. She could hear the birds singing and tweeting along with each other.

Betty had hopped out of bed and sliped on her slippers before heading towards her balconey. From there she had opened it and a light wind brushed up against her face. Makig her messy hair fly all over the place.

She sighed and heard a swift knock on the door. Her head turned towards the door.

"Ethie? Is that you?" She asked. Her mind filled with confusion.

"Yes Bethany. It's Ethel." A voice then was heard from the other side of the door.

"Oh! Ethie! Come in!" Betty then proceeded to come out of her balconey and close the door, before Ethel came in.

A young maid, in her late 30s, came into the room. Her hair was in a bun and her dress came up to her knees. She was the same height as Betty and had dark hair that matched Eliza's. She was a friendly woman, very generous and a great secret keeper. She worked for the Schuylurs since Betty was 10. She has raised her ever since and was very close to Betty.

"Good morning Bethany." She smiled at the young woman. "Did you sleep well?" She asked, begining to make her bed.

"Mhhm." Bethany nodded."I had fun yesterday."

Ethel smiled and nodded.

"I told the others not to tell. I know you want to spend some time with your sisters. Oh and you remember me telling you about Lily right? The guy she works for. Alan Johnson."

Betty nodded. Unsure of what she is going to hear.

"I heard that her husband died of yellow pox. Poor girl." Ethel shook her head in sadness. "Oh. What am I doing, you need to get dressed honey. Go on and slip into your dress alright. Don't get your Daddy mad now."

Betty's eyes widened.

"Ethie. Can you go grab me a dress. Any dress, it doesn't matter. I really need to brush my hair and get ready." Betty said quickly, grabbing her brush and brushing her hair rapidly.

Ethel hurried on into Betty's closet and chose her a simple green dress. Betty was never one for lace. Only for dinner parties and special occasions.

Betty then snatched the dress from Ethel's hands and quickly slipped it on.

She grabbed her dark green heels and began to hop off out of her room. Hoping that she can get her shoes on and she will be right on time.

She rushed down the stairs and ran into the parlor. Taking a seat next to Angelica, Eliza and Peggy opposite her. Her Father and Mother were at the end of the table. They both looked at Betty and sighed.

"Sorry I am so late. I woke up a bit late. I was sort of-"

"Day dreaming." Peggy glanced at her sister before taking a bite of her toast.

"Sleeping in." Angelica mumbled. Drinking from her goblet.

"Someone forgot to wake you?" Eliza shook her head and sighed before finishing her plate of eggs.

"Bethany. Please, you are always late to everything. How can you find a good husband when you know it's too late to find one. A man doesn't want his wife to delay everything." At the end of the table, Betty's mother, Catherine sighed and explained to her daughter.