Chapter 1: Ball Preperations

Hey! So, this is my first book on Wattpad. Since it's the first chapter, it will be kinda slow. I hope you enjoy it! :)

_______________________________

Ava's P.O.V.

"Ava, come on! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up," chanted a squeaky voice outside my bedroom door.

The voice belonged to none other than my hyperactive five-year-old sister Gracie who always has as much energy as the pink Energizer bunny in the morning.

I released an animalistic groan while sitting up in my comfy bed and blinking away the sleep in my eyes.

"What is it?"

Being woken up in the morning by someone other than myself was not something I particularly liked.

I squinted, looking at my alarm clock beside my bed. They instantly widened at seeing the time.

IT WAS ELEVEN THRITY IN THE MORNING! Why did she have to wake me up so...so...early?

The door to my room swung open revealing a grinning Gracie. Her brown eyes were sparkling with excitement as she ran over to me.

"Mommy wants you to get up! We have to get ready for the masquerade ball!" She jumped up and down—her brown, tangled up hair bouncing everywhere around her. "You know how long it takes to get ready for a ball like this? Hm? Hm? Hmmmm?"

"What if I don't want to go?" I mumbled into my pillow.

"Well," she said, placing her hands on her hips. "I would just have to drag you out of bed then!" Gracie had a triumphant look on her face as if she had come up with the most perfect plan in the universe.

I would like to see how this goes.

"Okay then. Go ahead." I fell back onto my fluffy pillow and got under the covers pretending to sleep.

Before I could get too comfortable though, I suddenly got yanked out of bed. I snatched onto my blankets in hopes of saving me from the fall, but unfortunately, I ended up bringing them down with me.

"Ouch, what the hel—" I was interrupted by Gracie's laughter.

"I told ya...I would...drag you...out of...bed!" she choked out between laughs, looking like she was crying her eyes out from all the giggling.

I rose a challenging eyebrow. "You know? With all the cackling going on, I think the tickle monster wants some children to tickle!" I got up off the floor and slowly started stalking towards Gracie.

"Noooo! Don't tickle me!"

She ran out of my room like her life depended on it. I laughed at her reaction to the tickle monster while making my way towards my bathroom.

***

After carrying out my morning routine, I headed downstairs to the kitchen where the smell of chocolate chip pancakes was calling me. I took in the homey sight of Charlie—my younger brother—and Gracie eating chocolate chip pancakes at the table, Dad eating a bowl of cereal while reading the newspaper, and Mom flipping pancakes by the stove.

"Look who's finally awake," Mom said, turning her attention towards me. She shoved a plate of newly cooked pancakes in my hands. "Hurry up and eat so we have enough time to get ready for the ball."

The ball happens every summer in Los Angeles. Basically, anyone could go to it as long as they have proper attire—the mask being most important. There are special rules to the ball as well—the main one being, "You may never take off your mask during the time."

I never understood why it was stressed that we couldn't take them off, but it is a masquerade ball and secret identities are kind of the point.

When I was little, I always looked forward to going to the ball—dreaming one day I'll meet my Prince Charming over there.

Now? I didn't really care much in going anymore. Growing up does things to you and one of the things is making you realize that life is far from a fairytale.

"Do I have to go?" I asked, trying to see if I could get away with not going.

Mom stared at me with raised eyebrows. "Yes, you have to go. Everyone in this family is going. Your best friend Amy is going. You have everything picked out, so you don't have an excuse."

I sighed. "Alright, fine."

I'm probably going to be talking to Amy the whole time I'm there.

***

After eating the scrumptious pancakes and taking a relaxing half hour shower, Mom, Gracie, and I started getting ready.

Since I wasn't much of a fan of makeup, Mom aided in helping me in the eye area. Lipstick and blush were the only things that were simple enough for me to do by myself.

When it was time to put on my dress, I looked at the time and was surprised to see it was three o'clock.

Smiling to myself, I laid out the sparkling baby blue dress on my bed and admired it before hearing the door to my bedroom creak open.

There stood Gracie dressed in a pink and green polka dot dress paired with white flats. Her hair was done in soft brown curls.

"Mommy said for you to hurry up. She wants to fix your hair." She paused, scowling at the bird nest on top of my head. "You don't want to go to the ball having witch hair."

I look over at my bedroom mirror. My hair was indeed a tangled up mess.

"Okay, tell her I'll be there in a minute." Gracie nodded with a smile on her face and left my room.

***

After sliding on my baby blue dress—which hugged my figure perfectly—I went to my parents room. I was shocked to find my mom already dressed.

"Finally, you're here," she said and patted the chair. "Hurry up and sit that bum of yours down. You know how long it takes to get to Los Angeles. It's like an hour and a half away."

"I know. I know," I sighed, taking a seat on the chair. Not a second later, Mom began styling my hair.

Thirty minutes later, my hair was finished. It was fixed into a elegant bun with a few curly strands hanging loose which framed the sides of my face. I slid on my glass heels and put on my mask.

Looking in the mirror, I couldn't even recognize myself. My mask had a golden flower on the side with swirls, making my appearance look fairy tale like.

Psshh. Fairytales...

"You look like a princess!" Gracie screamed as she entered the room. She ran to me, giving me a hug.

I smiled. "Aww thanks, Gracie. You look like a princess too."

"Okay girls, enough hugging," Mom said, cutting in on our sister-bonding time. "Let's go! The boys are probably waiting in the car."

We headed outside and towards the car. Sure enough, Charlie and Dad were already there in their sleek black suits and gelled back hair.

As we began to leave, I started feeling uneasy. I couldn't shake off this feeling that this ball was going to be different from all the previous ones.

__________________________

So, what do you think of the first chapter?

I'm sorry about how slow moving it was.

But don't stop reading it just yet!

Thanks for checking out Chapter 1 of Prince Charming Lives Nextdoor!

Until next time, you LOVELY people!:)

NEXT UPDATE: LATER TODAY/TOMORROW

^ _ ^