Chapter 36 Pt. 1: Insecurities and Weaknesses

Hey everyone!! Here's Chapter 36 Part 1!

Hope you like it!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ava's P.O.V.

I had accepted Liam's apology right away after he had sat down in the desk next to mine on Tuesday. He had tried explaining to me in a simple manner of what had happened; but, I didn't need it. I understood and trusted him enough to know that he just needed to talk to her in private. But the fact of him being overwhelmed with guilt that I couldn't suppress was the absolute downside of not telling him I knew about Kaylee's devious plan.

Then, for some unknown reason, once Friday - today - came around with the Seasonal Dance, that's when Liam's actions were coming way out of the blue.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't go to the Dance." I gazed at Liam's reflection as I stood in front of the mirror hanging behind my bedroom door - a dress in hand. It was already eight o'clock and Amy promised to pick me up around nine-ish which gives me about an hour to get ready. The main problems of right now were finding a dress and knowing what the heck was up with Liam.

"Why don't you just stay home and we can have our own dance party," he suggested casually, placing both hands beneath his head on my pillow.

"As much as your idea sounds appealing to me, I promised Amy I'd go, and I don't break promises." I observed myself in the mirror imagining what I would look like in the dress. The dress was strapless and was a light shade of violet with a sparkly bodice. It wasn't the usual type of color I'd wear for a dress, but as of right now, anything would have to do.

"You look better in blue."

I turned my attention away from the mirror and over to Liam. "What?"

He jutted his head over to the violet dress I was holding. "Purple isn't really your color," he blatantly stated as if it was the most common thing anyone said in the world.

"Is that supposed to be insulting? And F.Y.I., the color is actually violet."

Liam sat up in my bed in reaction to my statement. He swung his legs off my bed so the bottom of his shoes were now flat on the floor. Shaking his head, a scowl formed on his face. "No...Fuck no. Ava, you look good in anything. And trust me when I say anything. I'm just putting in my opinion that you should wear a blue dress instead of a purple one." Liam ran his fingers through his hair making it tousled in a cute way. "It's just that blue really brings out the natural highlights in your hair."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "How do you know what I look like in a blue dress?"

The moment Liam glanced away from me, I knew that he was hiding something. "What are you hiding, Liam?" I walked over to my closet and hung the violet dress on a hanger. Afterwards, I took a seat on my bed, next to him.

"I'm just worried that Kaylee might try something. You know..." Liam sighed, running his hands over his face wearily. "After what she did at the diner...I don't know. With me not there at the dance, she can do anything." He paused as if wondering if he should continue. "And if something does happen, who's going to be there to protect you."

I took hold of Liam's hand and squeezed it. "You don't need to worry about me. I can fight my own battles, you know."

"But that's the problem, Ava." He pulled his hand away from mine, unraveling them. "Kaylee doesn't let anyone win. Whatever you do, she will always try to come out on top."

Pursing my lips together, I bumped my shoulder against his. "Maybe you should go to the dance and be my Knight in Shining Armor."

Liam looked over at me, a slight smile on his face. "You know how insecure I am about my dancing."