Chapter 32: Haven't You Helped Enough

School's out... I actually seem more sad than happy. ;(

Well, here's an update.

Enjoy

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ava's P.O.V.

The sound of monitors beeping woke me up from my peaceful sleep. But right after cracking my eyes open, I immediately shut them tight. Bright fluorescent light had burned my eyes. Ouch!

Carefully prying my eyes open - little by little - they began adjusting to the light they were taking in until they were wide open. Soaking in my surroundings, the darkness outside was telling me it was nighttime. I sighed in relief. 'That meant no one will be visiting me for a while.'

But as soon as that thought was let out, the door to my hospital bedroom swung ajar. In slipping none other than...Liam. The memory of what happened before I passed out flashed through my mind.

His back was facing me as he closed the door, a cup of hospital coffee in his unoccupied hand. Pretending to be asleep, I closed my eyes gently not wanting my appearance to seem forced.

The sound of a chair being quietly dragged across the floor filled the silence of the hospital room. It stopped a second later. His presence - not forgetting about the smell of his cologne - drifted throughout the air around me as he maneuvered around. By going with the feeling in my gut, I could feel that he was sitting pretty close to the bed.

I was getting pretty overwhelmed; not just by this, but with everything going on: Liam being a popular and what not. All the boys wanting to be him. A person going from a nobody to a somebody. I didn't really care about all that stuff though, when I was still dating Joey.

Anyways, Liam should've known that he was already a somebody to me. He didn't have to change.

The feeling of his warm, slightly calloused hands enveloping my right hand that lied motionless beside me, snapped me out of my thoughts.

He sighed. "I'm so sorry, Ava." He paused, then continued on a moment later. "She said she wouldn't bring you into this..."

'What does he mean by "She said she wouldn't bring me into this?" Is this all some kind of sick joke?'

Out of the blue, a sneeze started to kick in. My nose being as itchy as a mosquito bite in the summer. No longer able to hold it in, I blew my cover, startling Liam in the process.

"Ava?"

I gave a sheepish smile. "Uh...Hi, Liam. Um..." 'Don't draw suspicion to yourself, Ava. Don't let him know that you were...'

"Were you listening to what I was saying?"

I gazed around the room, not even taking a single glance at him. "I...uh..."

"Shit!" He ran his fingers through his hair, a frustrated look on his face. "What was I thinking?"

I looked at him with remorse. "Liam, I-"

But I was cut off with his current mood swap. Liam, becoming a complete asshole. "Just, shut up!" As soon as those words left his mouth and he'd seen the shocked expression on my face, the look of regret flashed through his eyes. Liam immediately began trying to take back his word. "Ava, I didn't mean-"

"-I know exactly what you meant." I turned away from him so my back was facing him. However, I instantly regretted it when a sharp bullet of pain shot through my stomach and my head in unison. My loud cry of agony caused a panicked expression to cross Liam's face.