Chapter 18 : To find again someone you lost.

Victor put his head in his hands, and had a deep sight.

Then, he looked at the man in front of him, still locked up.

"You should have killed me when you realized what I have become, Gerhardt said to his brother, sad."

Victor just turned his head.

"No. Just no. Brother, it was already too hard for me to bring you back, I am not going to kill you again. You're not going to die because of me, not again, he said with both sadness and guilt."

"Victor... it was just an accident, and..."

He couldn't end his sentence, taking his head in his hands, grimacing at the terrible pain invading him again. When he saw his brother still suffering from the terrible pain that had been in him since he came back to life, since his brother brought him back, Victor again had an air of guilt on his face.

It was his fault.

His brother died because of him, because he was on his quest to bring back dead people from death, because he had been too much taken in his obsession.

Their father died in this situation, but at least, in had been just an accident, and Gerhardt had the excuse of being not entirely human or alive, or himself, a thing that Victor wasn't.

The doctor's hands began to tremble, and he stand up, not being able to handle it anymore. His own brother was suffering and almost dying in front of his eyes, and he could do absolutely nothing.

"I'm sorry brother, he finally whispered. I am going to find a way, I promise you."

The look his brother gave to him almost broke his heart.

He couldn't bare it anymore, and he left the room, almost running.

He needed air, right now.

§§§§

His researches were going nowhere, and he perfectly knew it. His brother was here, alive, but he never seemed so dead to him. He was breathing, he could think, talk, but he wasn't human. He was just a zombie, and the most Victor was trying to fix it, the most he was failing.

His brother just wanted to die, but the scientist just couldn't let it happen.

It wasn't about being famous, about celebrity, not even about his great goal to defeat death, no. He didn't care about it anymore, in fact, now, he wasn't trying to bring back dead people, but just trying to fix his brother.

To make it work, because now, his little brother was alive, but not fine, and it was his responsibility to save him.

He put his hands on a table, these one were still shaking, and he felt a few tears appear in his eyes, and, too moved by his own failure, he didn't even try to wipe them.

"Doctor ? Igor asked. There is a man, here, who wants to talk with you. It's the same man who came here before you brought your brother back."

Victor, a little tired, put his hand on his face, wiping his tears, and he nodded.

"You mean Rumplestiltskin, right ? Alright Igor, make him come here."

The other man then frowned, seeing how exhausted the doctor seemed to be.

"Victor ? Are you okay ? He asked him."

Since Gerhardt came back, things had been quite... harsh, for the two of them, but for Victor in particular.