Chapter 3 : Good changes.

She was in her castle, of course, not knowing he was there. Savoring her victory against him, as she knew how he would react. She knew him too well.

She knew the old him, the one that hadn't lived twenty-eight years without Belle, that didn't lost his son. That wasn't hopeless.

He was different. When he looked at her, it wasn't by knowing she would cast his curse, no. He was seeing a woman lost in darkness, a woman he made that way. Someone who loved and had her heart broken, because of her mother, and because of him.

Now, his spirit was clear, and he couldn't help but feel remorse because of it. Apparently, she could change, and he would help her doing that. He saw darkness around her, just as there were around him.

She tried to destroy him, yes.

She had no idea that she just gave him a happy ending.

Or the promise of one, at least.

When he appeared in front of her, she started and frowned. Obviously, she had difficulties to recognize him, and she became pale as she understood who he was.

"Rumplestiltskin, is that you ?"

"Of course deary."

Yes, she knew him too well.

"What happened to you ? You seem... different."

"Different is the good word in fact."

Troubled at first, the queen succeeded to be herself again at that moment.

"Oh... I guess she did kiss you, in the end."

"The truth is that I did."

"Really ? Why ? I thought your power was more important than anything !"

Even though he wasn't scaring as before, when she saw a shadow on his face, showing that he was serious again, she did feel fear.

"I am not like your mother, you know. She is heartless, I'm not."

"If you're there, it's to thank me, right ?" She said, ironic.

"I won't blame you for that, actually. But now, I need to tell you something."

"Which is ?

"Your revenge. It's useless. Revenge won't help you to cure from your pain. Snow isn't the monster of the story, your mother is. Just as me. I send you in it, we both did, despite what you wanted. Despite your true nature. And I am sorry for that."

"You... what ?"

"I am sorry, but I think I need to go now. Goodbye."

And then he left. It was abrupt, but he couldn't wait to come back to his castle (and to Belle), and he said what he had to say.

Regina frowned. There was something strange in it, but she couldn't say what. And then she understood.

Wasn't he supposed not to have powers any more ?

§§§§

He didn't like this place. The Dark Castle was definitely not a good place to live, it was too, too... dark. Too awful. And he was going to change it. Just some minutes after, the place turned into something more... good to live in. It was still a castle (because, yeah, he couldn't stop himself from being megalomaniac), but now it wasn't as scaring as before.

Just as Rumple himself.

Belle couldn't believe her eyes. The place was now beautiful, there wasn't any more all the terrible things that used to be there. It could be a real home now, she knew it.

But it wasn't, not now.

"You miss them, right ?"

"Who ?"

"Your family. Maybe also your fiance."

She turned her head.

"Not him. I never loved him. I could have, but... there was something evil in him. I'm happy you helped me escape from this marriage..."

"You're sure of that ?"

She took his hand.

"Yes. I'm sure. My father doesn't like you."

"I think he's right, he muttered."

"Maybe, but... I don't need him, right ? I miss him, but if he doesn't let me be with you, well... I won't have him in my life..."

They didn't talk about that then, but Rumplestiltskin thought about it. Without telling her, he came to Belle's home, in order to talk to her father.

This last one seemed to be preoccupied; Gaston was gone, just as Belle, and even though the war was over, he wasn't happy.

Rumplestiltskin didn't make him become happier, that was the contrary.

"You, demon ! What are you doing here ?"

"You recognized me, the sorcerer said, surprised, how ?"

"You may changed your face, but I can still see your real face."

"But this is my real face ! Protested the former Dark One. Well, I guess I can understand you don't trust me."

"You took my daughter from me ! Of course I don't trust you."

"I didn't ! I made a deal with you, and she was the price."

"My daughter is a person, not an object."

"I never said that. I wanted to know... if you could have her back, would you reject her ?"

He wanted to know. To know if Regina's lie would have been real, and if Maurice did deserve to have Belle back as his daughter. He looked at him with hatred.

"What a question ! Of course not ! I would let her come there of course. Why do you ask me that ?"

He was suspicious. It was the first time that Rumplestiltskin seemed... normal. Just as if he had no darkness in him now. But it couldn't be true.

"I will free her. She will have the right to leave my home, if she wants. She will choose."

"She will choose me", Maurice said, sure of himself.

The other man smiled.

"You're sure of that ?"

Maurice frowned. The tone wasn't arrogant, and yes, he did seem to have changed. And he helped them end the Ogre war. Maybe he could give him a chance.

"I hope she will..."

"And I hope she won't choose, Rumplestiltskin added."

When Belle learned what Rumplestiltskin did, she felt both angry and happy. She didn't choose, of course. She talked with her father, for hours and hours and this last one, understanding he would loose her if he didn't agree, finally did.

So yes, for a beginning of redemption, it was a good one.