Chapter 27 - Book Club

[Season 5 Episode 6]

Before school starts, Malia, Stiles and I head to the Sherifs station to update the Sherif on what's going on.

After we have explained everything, he is standing by his cork board organising the case.

"Chimeras?" He asks again, as he crosses out Tracy's picture with a red marker.

"Two dead Chimeras." Stiles corrects.

"And eight new ones." Malia adds.

The night before some of the deputies found eight holes on the school field, similar to the ones we'd found in the woods. So, logically, we assume that there are more chimeras.

"So that's ten in all." Stiles concludes.

"I'm thinking maybe eleven." Stiles' dad sighs, pinning up a picture of Donovan next to Tracy's picture, "our station tech guys confirmed something for me. They said, both the holding cell lock and the cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic." He explains turning back to look at us with his arms crossed.  He picks up The Dread Doctors book from his desk, "you said that, uh, these guys..."

"Dread Doctors." I correct.

"Are we really calling them that?" The Sherif asks, raising an eyebrow.

"So they broke Donovan out?" Malia asks, disregarding his question.

"It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?" He points out.

"Donovan's a chimera." Malia nods, walking over to the board:

"Yeah," The Sherif sighs, "but is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?"

The sherif and Malia turn away from Stiles and I and look at the board.  I glance at Stiles curiously, seeing him fidgeting.  He turns away and looks down, fiddling with his fingers.  I place a hand on his shoulder and quickly looks up.  I frown at him with concern and he tightens his lips into a straight face, the worry clearly seeping through.

"If he is, he's probably dead." Malia claims, I turn around to see her going to cross out Donovan, but the Sherif stops her.

"Not until I've seen a body." He tells her.

The pair turn around to Stiles and I.

"You're uncharacteristically quiet." Stiles' dad points out.

Stiles turns around again, "Sorry, I'm, uh, I'm trying to this about it..." he motions to his head, walking over to them, me beside him, "These are all teenagers, right?"

"So, now, I mean, shouldn't we be tying to figure out why these teenagers? If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that, burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail..."

"They couldn't have been chosen at random." I agree.

"They had to have something in common." Malia realises.

"Something that made them right for this experiment." The Sherif nods along.

"Something that made them special." Stiles confirms.

[AFTER SCHOOL]

We all went to school as normal and then headed back to Scott's house.

"My mom's book club usually has more wine." Lydia shrugs, as we look at the pile of photocopies of the book.

"Well, they probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles points out, making me chuckle dryly.

"That's why Malia's here." Scott reassured us, as Malia nods, having already read the book.

"So none of us go running into traffic?" Kira raises an eyebrow. The night before, when we visited Eichen, Malia was driving with Theo and she had some sort of flashback to when her mother and sister died, and almost got hit by a car.

"Or worse," Scott nods solemnly.

"Like what happened to Judy," Malia agrees, but we all look at her confused, "Chapter 14." She clarifies.

"Well, now that we are all sufficiently freaked out," I sigh, "let's get started shall we?" I pick up one of the photocopies and take a seat sideways on an arm chair, with my legs over on of the arms:

"Maybe I should get my mother to read it," Lydia suggests, "she might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling attacking everyone."

"Hey, if it works," Stiles points out.

"It has to." Lydia quietly says, biting her lip.

"What does that mean?" I look up.

"I think I saw them during my surgery," she lets out a deep breath, "when I look at the cover of the book it's almost like..."

"A memory trying to surface." Theo finishes, causing us all to look at him, and me to continue to wonder; what the hell is he doing here?

"Yeah." Lydia nods.

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Kira asks.

Lydia nods, "If they did something to me, I want to know what it is."

Everyone else grabs a copy, Lydia grabbing the actual book and takes a seat to start reading.  About twenty minutes into the boringest book ever, if boringest is even a word, Scott looks up around us.

"Anyone feel anything yet?" He asks, snapping me out of my 'eye-resting'.

"Tired." Kira sighs.

"Hungry." Lydia grumbles.

"Both." I shake my head, trying to keep myself awake.

"I think he meant the book." Theo glances over at us.

"Shut up smart arse." I roll my eyes at him, only causing him to smirk. I stand up and walk into the kitchen, seeing Stiles sat at the kitchen table reading.

I pull open one of the cupboards and grab some snacks. I take a seat opposite Stiles and open a packet of crisps. He sends me a small smile before going back to reading, he rubs his shoulder and then I smell blood.

"What did you do to your shoulder?" I ask, causing him to look up from the book.

"What are you talking about?" Stiles asks, defensively.

"I can smell blood, what happened?" I persist.

"Jeep died on me again." He lies, heartbeat steady though, "I went to check the engine, the hood fell on it.

I look at him skeptically before grabbing a pen from the work surface as writing on my hand; 'I don't believe you.' I show him my hand and his eyes widen only for a second, before he regains his posture.

He shrugs at me shaking his head. I give him a look as if to say, 'we're talking about this later'.

After finishing my crisps, I head back over to the living room and take a seat back in the arm chair and continue to read a bit. My eyes start to drift close, leaving me half asleep, half awake.

I feel someone picking me up carrying me upstairs, too tired to resist, I let it happen. The mystery person gently placed me down onto a soft, comfy, what I assume is a bed. I stir slightly as I hear they're footsteps walking away. I open one eye, peeking out at who it could be.

The person walking away shocks me.

It's Theo.

A/N
Bit of a filler, not much really happened,
But whatdja think?
If you liked, gimme a nice big VOTE!
And COMMENT your thoughts!
Love y'all, see you next time!