p5 of Prove Myself

Your mom doesn’t suspect anything.

It’s the weekend, so she slept in and you told her you came home before she woke up. Your “friend” is busy today, that’s why you couldn’t stay any longer. She simply smiled and hugged you, her hair a mess and her eyes not fully open, but she was happy for you. That made you feel a little guilty; you don’t like lying to her.

But you also absolutely, definitely, without question won’t ever tell her what happened last night. She knows about your powers (there is no person that is closer to you than her), because when it happened, you were too scared and helpless to not confide in her. It was a crazy time back then.

But it would give her a fit if she knew that her daughter had a stand-off with the Avengers at night on a roof top.

It’s Sunday, school starts tomorrow, which is a disgrace. The last thing you want to do is go to school. Especially, not after what happened to you last night. What if you go out and run into one of the Avengers?

They don’t know how you look. Everything’s fine.

They know your voice and your height and your skin color.

Why would I run into the Avengers? Don’t they have better things to do than go shopping?

Well…

Everything is fine.

You stare at your computer screen. Thor’s face stares back at you. You still don’t know how you withstood his attack. You mean, theoretically, you do understand how you did it; Tony explained it and you googled it after you woke up this morning.

But he is a God. And you are you. There are worlds between you, how is it possible that your powers are equal – in that regard?

Hrmpf.

You need sleep.

“You look like you ran over the neighbour’s cat, Y/N. Come on! This is exciting! Your first day of school! Show me your smile. This is the beginning of something completely new, what a big moment!”

It wouldn’t surprise you if your mom brought a camera and took pictures of you in the passenger seat whilst driving you to your new school. Thank god, she doesn’t do that. Those wouldn’t have been pretty pictures.

“Okay, here we are. Ooh, look at that. It looks nice. Not like a prison at all, a plus point” Your mom jokes while inspecting the school building. You smile. A plus point, indeed. Your last school was a nightmare.

“Thanks for driving me here. See you later” You say and hug her – even though she is annoying today, you can’t leave without hugging her, that would be cruel – and open your door.

“Good luck! And have fun! Maybe you will see your friend again, she could help you on your first day. I love you!”

You get out of the car saying “Sure. I love you, too” and walk around the front into the direction of the entrance. You can’t help but feel nervous. So many new people … urgh.

First period is Economics. Not bad. The teacher makes you introduce yourself – which is bad – and you do it as fast as you can and take a seat in the front. Unfortunately. Normally, you don’t mind sitting in the front row, but having a bunch of strangers sit behind you and probably watch your every move makes you uncomfortable. You keep your attention to the front and never turn around to look behind you.

After that you have Calculus. Not bad either. The good thing about being new is that the teachers go easy on you and except for the introduction in the beginning they let you sit there in silence without calling on you. Nice.