My Dad Will Never Have A Bring-Your-Kid-To-Work-Day

"So... My dad?" I prompt when both girls are silent. 

Mahina sighs first. Kalia seems to interested in scooting away from me. "Well..." Mahina rubs the necklace around her neck. "So..."

"What?" I demand. 

Kalia scowls. "There's no right way to say it, Sister." She says to Mahina. "Elicia, you father is the god of Death, Hades."

I stare at them in shock. "W-what?"

Anna visibly winces and I turn to her. "You knew my father is the god of death? How did that even happen? I thought Hades was on the Isle!"

"He was. " Kalia acknowledges. "But he earned his way back. Years ago, your mother went to visit the Isle to see if she could get Hans to repent after she heard he had a child. But he refused, and so she went to a few other villains. All of them laughed in her face until Hades, who thought her proposal sounded like a way to get off the Isle, so he accepted with the intent to betray her as soon as he got out of the barrier."

"But he didn't?" I guess.

"Nope!" Kalia and Mahina chorus. 

"He fell in love with her." Kalia says. 

"The god of Death. Fell in love with my mom. The Snow Queen."

They both nod. 

"The god of freaking Death. With blue flamey hair."

They nod again. "Although his hair went out years ago, now he has real hair." Kalia says, like that changes everything. 

"Okay." I clear my throat. "Um, so, why am I cursed?"

"Not finished!" Kalia says. "So your father came to Auradon, with the full intent of being a good guy, and your mother trusted him, but then..." she coughs. "When Elsa got pregnant..."

"Everyone thought Hades had... erm..." Mahina squirms, glancing at Ella, Krissy, and Andy, none of whom appear to be listening until they feel everyone's eyes on them.

"What?" Andy asks, running a hand through his hair. "Do I got a spider?"

"We get it, Mahina." I say quickly. "Just, um, skip that part."

"Yeah. Well, everyone chased Hades away, and Elsa tried to stop them, but the only people who came to her aid was Princess Merida and your Aunt."

Anna smiles slightly. "I offered to hide him in Arendelle, but he said he'd always wanted to go to Scotland. And he's been there ever since, far as I know."

Kalia nods. "And when you were born, he tried to come back. He tried to visit your mother in the North Mountain, but..."

"People were waiting for him to who up. And..." Mahina stops.

"Enough hesitatin'!" Sera snaps. "Just spit out all of the story, ya snails!"

Mahina and Kalia share sad looks. "Well... because he tried to visit you... a bunch of Auradonians attacked him."

"To protect my mom?" I ask. 

"To protect themselves. The lord of the dead scared them. They just didn't want to admit it." Kalia explains. 

"So what happened to King Zombie?" Sera asks. Carlos elbows her. "What?"

"He turned part human." Mahina said sadly. "He had to use an enormous amount of power to get out of there, and it drained him. That's why his fire hair is gone... and why he never came to see you again, Elicia."

"Okay, seriously, call me Ellie." I say. "This 'Elicia' business is killing me."

Everyone goes silent.