Pep Talk: FAIL

(The book above is the one in this chapter)

_______________________

I push through the crowd to get to the door before her. But she beats me.

"Elicia." She grabs hold of my arm. The crowd starts to disperse a little, going to Ben to question him. A few reporters are following me and Mom, so I roll my eyes and pull her inside, closing the doors in their faces. 

"What, Mom? What could be so important?" I snap. 

She wrings her hands. "I know I haven't exactly been a good mother lately... and I'm sorry for that."

"A good mother? Mom, you've been terrified of me! Do you know what that felt like?"

"I do, actually. You forget, my entire kingdom thought I was a monster." She says, rather cooly.

"I know." I sigh. "Well, what did you want?"

"Well... Elicia, do you know why I had Fairy Godmother take my powers away when you were a child?" 

"No. I just assumed you got scared." I admit.

"I did it because of you. You remember I hit my sister in the head when we were children?"

"Yeah." Where could she be going with this?

"I hit you." She whispers. She hugs herself. "You'd broken Anna's wedding gift to me, and I was so angry... I moved to strike you once and instead I used my powers on you."

"I don't remember that." I frown. "You lost your powers when I was five. I remember most of my life then."

"Trolls, Elicia. Trolls." she reminds me. "But I didn't hit your head. I hit your heart."

"But... I should have frozen! Shouldn't I?"

She shakes her head. "Elicia, tell me this. Do you remember using your powers before I lost mine?"

I think back. "No..."

"You weren't born with yours. I gave you the more dangerous part of mine." She says.

"You... what?" My brain throbs. Where could she be going with this?

"Elicia, your powers are half of mine. I chose to get rid of the rest in hopes that it would dissolve from you as well. After Anna and I defeated Hans, and we got older, I discovered my powers split equally in half. One, the more dangerous side, the one that I used to fight the Duke's henchmen with, the side that..." She seems to choke on the name. "Oh, I should get Olaf back for this... the side that Marshmallow came from, the side that created a storm that nearly swallowed Arendelle.

"And the second side, the peaceful one. The one I used to create Olaf, the one I created my castle with, the side I used for my sister's birthday."

"Mom, what are you talking about? What has this got to do with me?"

"Elicia, when I gave you that side, you got more than I thought. You have powers I would never have had, you can do things I can't! Elicia, I saw you at Ben's coronation. Just for an instant. And the garden party, my powers---now your powers---changed you! You know why I'm terrified? Why I look at you the way I do? Because I'm scared that those powers may be affecting you in ways you may not know."

"Mom, I'm still me. I promise." I protest.

"Elicia, what happens when you get angry?" She asks.

"One, you can call me Ellie. All this 'Elicia' business is weird. Two, nothing happens. I mean, some misty stuff comes from my hands," I raise one to examine it. "But it's not like I look at myself to see the results every time."