Lesson Learned

"Do you want help, Audrey?" I ask her as she carries an overreacting Chad.

"No! Not from the likes of you, anyways." Audrey sniffs. We finally get to the nurse's office and she sets Chad down on a cot.

The nurse comes in. "Oh, dear. Hello Ellie! Audrey. Chad." She says stiffly. She has good taste in people, and she hates Audrey and Chad. 

Audrey rolls her eyes and flips her ponytail over her yellow shirt. "A new VK kid hit Chad for no reason. I think he's okay, but you need to check him." She frets. 

I clear my throat. "Carlos hit Chad because he did this to me." I hold out my arm. The nurse glares at Chad.

"Mr. Charming, you're fine. You can leave now with Miss Audrey. Ellie, your arm will be fine, just give me one minute."

She comes back with a cloth and wipes away the little bit of blood that's left. She smiles and rubs my arm. "Those will go away in a bit. But were any teachers there for the scene?"

"Coach was." I grumble. "But Chad's one of his star players."

She watches Audrey help Chad off the cot and out the door. I can practically hear the fake pain in Chad's voice as he admits he probably won't be able to go to practice today. I roll my eyes and cover the marks up with my gloves.

"Thanks anyway." I say. "I'm going to go change for class."

The nurse smiles and nods.

___________________________________________________

I walk out of the locker room and glance around a few times. I see Mal and Evie by Mal's locker. Mal's locker has a huge purple-and-green Maleficent shadow with "long live evil" written in it. I walk over. On my way, Evie sees me and nudges Mal, who turns around in surprise.

"Nice locker." I tell her. "You really have a talent!"

She smiles. "So do you. I heard about what happened on the field."

"Which part?" I ask. 

She grins wickedly. "All of it."

I groan. "Ugh. So you've now heard of my temper?"

She pats my shoulder. "Yup. Almost like us, kinda."

Evie breaks in. "She means she likes you. That's as close as she'll get, so I'd take it."

I beam. Hey, they're villains. But I'll take it! Somebody finally doesn't think my powers are awful things that should be gone. Even Jane does, but she won't tell me to my face.

Then Audrey, Chad, and Ben come out.

Audrey's giving a laugh that sounds like a foghorn, then she stops. 

"Those kids are trouble." Chad whispers. Please, like we can't hear. I squeeze my eyes shut like I can block him out. Mal taps me.

"Don't close your eyes." She orders. "Listen. Build up the anger so you can get them back later."

Evie winks at me. "Again, that's as close as you'll get to an you're a good person. Bye Mal." Evie walks off. Mal waves her away then goes back to her locker. 

"C'mon Chad. Give them a chance. Ellie too." Ben says. "They're not bad kids."

Audrey snorts. "No offense, Bennybear, you're just too trusting! Look, I know your mom fell in love with a big nasty Beast who turned out to be a prince. But with my mom? The Evil Fairy was just the Evil Fairy. That girl's mother." She whispers. "And Ellie! Using her powers on Chad! None of them can be trusted!"