Ice in us all

I suck in a breath as I repeat the facts in my head. I hate tests, especially when Mr. Deley springs them on us out of nowhere. Doug's writing a bunch of stuff down like that will help. Although, for all I know, it might. Evie's the worst, though. The second she heard about a test, the color drained from her face and she instantly reached for her purse. She'd gone even paler and is now rifling through it like her life depends on it. 

"Looking for something?" Mr. Deley says, staring at Evie. Evie looks up quickly and closes her purse. Mr Deley takes his hand from behind his back to reveal Evie's magic mirror. Evie mouths something silently.

"Thank you Chad." Mr. Deley pats Chad on the back. "It's gratifying to see someone still respects the honor code!"

Evie tilts her head to the side fast and glares at Chad with all her might. If I didn't know better, I'd say daggers could come flying out. But Chad just stares back smugly. 

"It will be my recommendation that you are expelled." Mr. Deley says gravely. 

"Mr. Deley, I---" Evie starts.

"That isn't fair!" Doug breaks in, standing up. "Obviously she wasn't cheating since she didn't have that... whatever it is!"

"It's called a magic mirror..." Evie whispers.

"You're not helping. Stop. " Doug says. Then he turns back to Mr. Deley. "Maybe she needed another pencil!"

"Actually, I--" Evie starts again.

"Really. Don't help." Doug says. "Please." He tells Mr. Deley. Mr. Deley sighs. 

"I thought the entire reason to bring VK's here was to give them a second chance." I pipe up. 

"You can hardly speak for them yourself, Elicia." Chad says under his breath. I can't do a thing to hurt him, so I fume silently. Mr. Deley stares at Evie though.

"Well, if you can pass this test I'll return your property and let the matter drop." Mr. Deley says quickly, like he's already regretting it. 

Evie and Doug both grin, and Chad groans and makes an So-whatever-you-won't-win'next-time face at Evie. She glares hard again until Doug pats her shoulder, telling her to get to work on the test. 

I tap her shoulder and she turns to look at me. "Hope you pass." I whisper. 

"Thanks." Evie says back.

________________________________________

"So, what'd you get, Doug?" I ask, walking to the lunch area with him. 

He grins and holds up his paper. A+, of course. I shake my head. "How do you do it? Every time!"

"What, like you don't?" he asks, snatching my paper away and sitting down at a table. He waves it in my face.

"A-, so what?" I ask. "I'm not nearly as smart as you!" I notice a blur of blue running towards us, and Evie presses her fingers to her lips. I nod and keep talking until she slips her paper in front of Doug's face. He looks at it in surprise, and I can't help but lean up a little to see her grade.

"For the first time, it's like I'm more than just a pretty face." Evie says, sighing happily. Doug laughs and looks up at her.

"A shocker, huh?" he asks. She drops the paper in front of him and sits down. 

"I wanted to thank you both. For doing that. You were pretty great in there." Evie says. 

"Hey, don't thank me. Thank Doug," I point out. "It was mostly him."