Leaping Lizards

(The picture above is not what she's supposed to look like at the coronation, just a better visual of what she should look like when she's not covered in ice. As of this moment, just imagine her with a literal layer of frost coating everything, k? Enjoy the chapter!)

______________________________________________

Mal must know she won't get to the wand in time, because just as Maleficent's hand wraps around it, Mal screams "And now I command, wand to my hand!" The wand glows gold and zips into Mal's outstretched palm. "Ha! Ha! It worked!" Mal says in disbelief. I clap loudly before I remember where we are. 

Maleficent glares at me then at Mal. "I hardly think so." She mutters. She starts pacing around. "Frankly, this is very tedious, and very immature. Give me the wand, GIMME THE WAND!" she screeches. 

"Hold on, Mal." Carlos breaks in. "Maybe good is more powerful than evil."

"It is!" I yell. "Look at you all!"

Maleficent snorts. "Ohhhh please, you're killing me! Arf!" She snaps at Carlos, who backs up a bit. Then barking fills the cathedral and Dude out of nowhere springs up to Maleficent. 

"AH! Oh, the breath! The breath! Get off me!" She pushes Dude off of her. Jay darts forward and tries to steal her scepter. It doesn't budge. 

"Gaston should be jealous." Maleficent flicks his forehead and he falls backward.

"Jay!" I yell, running down from the steps to join the VK's. He gets up and glares at Maleficent. 

"ENOUGH!" Maleficent screams. "You all will regret this!" Black and green smoke gathers around her and grows until we can't see her, and she's as tall as the cathedral itself. Then the smoke dissipates.  A huge purple and black dragon is in Maleficent's place. The piercing yellow eyes stare at us. Maleficent targets Jay and I and blows a burst of flame at us. Jay rolls to the side but I manage to divert most of it with a blast of ice. 

Jay grabs my wrist and pulls me around a pillar, but Maleficent is waiting right there. Jay slips and falls forward trying to stop from running into her, so I grab him and pull him out of the way as Dragon Maleficent sends another burst of fire. 

"COME ON ELLIE! RUN JAY RUN!" Carlos yells. I pull harder on Jay, not caring where we run, but Maleficent is always one step ahead. 

"Hurry, guys! Run! Please, come on, just run!" Mal screams. 

Maleficent roars and dives for both of us. Silently cursing this long dress, I let Jay drag me back away from the wand stand and back to our other three friends. We barely make it, and Evie jumps in front. 

"MAGIC MIRROR, SHINE A BRIGHT LIGHT!" She shouts. Light bursts from the mirror, right into Maleficent's eye, making her land hard on the ground. 

"Behind me, E!" Mal shoves Evie behind her still holding the wand. "Leave my friends alone!" 

Maleficent shakes herself off, roaring at all of us. 

"This is between you and me, mother." Mal says. 

Maleficent leans forward to Mal, her eyes glowing a hypnotic green. 

"The strength of evil is good as none, when stands before five hearts as one." Mal says. Maleficent's eyes squint from the strain. I can't imagine what Mal's doing, but it seems to be working. 

"The strength of evil is good as none, when stands before five hearts as one. The strength of evil is good as none, when stands before five hearts as one!" Mal yells. 

Maleficent's eyes look like they're smoking green. Time stretches on, as Mal and Maleficent fight each other silently, and then the dragon suddenly screams in pain and disappears with a puff of green smoke. Mal lets go of her breath, panting hard. She looks at Evie in panic, then FG unfreezes.