Cookies, Monsters

"Lonnie. Hey. Lonnie." I snap my fingers in front of her face. She blinks in surprise then turns to me. 

"What? Sorry, I was dozing off."

I nod towards our History teacher. "He asked you a question."

Lonnie goes pink. "Can you repeat that, please?"

Cogsworth sighs. Why they picked him to substitute today, I have no idea. He has absolutely no patience. "When did King Adam build this school?"

Lonnie chews on her lip. "Um. Around 300 years ago?" I bite my lip to keep from laughing. The only reason any of us know that fact is from King Adam's speech he gives. 

"The correct time would be better, but yes. You hit it close. WHAT TIME IS IT?" he yells. the thing about Cogsworth is that he never has a watch on him, for some reason. 

"5:55." We all chorus. 

He sighs. "You all are dismissed early. But remember you have a test tomorrow at exactly 8:04 on the dot!"

All of us scramble to pack up and sprint out the door. Lonnie catches my arm first. "Wait! Ellie, can you help me? You do this all so easily. Is there some way I can study with you tonight?"

I smile. "Sure! Do you want to come to my room? Or should we go to yours? Because Jane right now..." A sour feeling comes up in my stomach. Jane's been acting a lot different now. Ever since the hair, she's been hanging out with Audrey more and spending time with me less. ANd she sends me dirty looks every time I get near her.

Lonnie doesn't notice my change in attitude. "Sure! Come by my dorm around 7:00, ok? On the dot!" She says, imitating Cogsworth. 

I laugh and wave goodbye. I walk back to my dorm and find Jane and Audrey in there. 

"Oh! Hi Audrey. Jane. What are you guys doing here, I thought you were going to go watch tourney practice?" I say. I tug on my gloves as best I can. 

Audrey scoffs. "It's her dorm, Ice Queen."

"I realize that, Sleeping Ugly." I snap. "Jane, why is Audrey here?"

Jane smirks. "Um, because we're studying? Duh. And this is my dorm, I can have who I want in here. And at least I have friends I can bring in here, Ice Queen."

"I have friends!" I shout. I clench my fists to fight my urge to pull my gloves off.

"Yeah, VK's!" Audrey says. "We've always said that you'd go there, but we everyone knows the VK's are planning something bad, and you're  involved. Don't deny it."

"I don't have to, because I'm not!" I yell. Tears gather in my eyes and freeze on my skin. What happened to Jane? "The VK's aren't like you think! They don't want to hurt us!"

Jane snorts and tosses her hair. "Says you. Your deadline was yesterday. The second you give someone the reason, they'll have to force you to give them up. Get 'em away now, before you embarrass yourself!"

A crackling sound reaches my ears. I look down to find my gloves made of ice. I tap them and they both shatter onto my dorm floor. Jane and Audrey stare at the remains. Then they both burst into wild laughter. 

"This proves it! You can't control them, Ice Queen!" Audrey points at the melting shards. "Go ahead! Try and use your powers! I dare you!"

"No--I--" But my panic is too much, and ice starts to creep from where I stand, coating the room in sharp icicles. Audrey and Jane yelp and climb on top of Jane's bed. I close my eyes and focus on my mother's voice. You can do it, Ellie. You can bring it back. Love melts ice. Every time.