Learning a Lesson---More Than One

I watch with Jane as the VK's struggle through the lesson with FG. Well, three of them struggle. Mal's not even paying  attention, and she's still getting all the answers right. Jane and I have been watching for the last like ten minutes, and FG is still completely positive to them. 

FG starts again. "If someone hands you a crying baby," She points at the chalkboard. "Do you A) Curse it? B) Lock it in a tower? C) Give it a bottle. Or D) Carve out its heart?"

I gag at the last one. I might be able to stomach A-C, but killing it? No way. In fact, I can't remember any villains doing that before....

Wait. Nope, Evil Queen tried to. With Snow White. Technically not a baby, but still. Better the pig or whatever the hunter used than Snow White! She's the biggest fashion creator in Auradon. Though I want to know where Evie gets her clothes. I'm super jealous. I wonder if she could ask whoever they are to make me better gloves?

Jane nudges me. "Look!" Evie's hand is in the air, wiggling excitedly. FG beams and points to her.

"Evie!"

Evie puts her hand down. "What was the second one?" She asks.

FG loses a bit of her happy sparkle. "Oh, ok. Anyone else."

None of them answer, Mal fixated on whatever she's doing on her desk. 

FG looks at Mal. "Mal?" She asks. Mal looks up while playing with a chunk of her purple hair. 

"C, give it a bottle." She says. 

"Correct. Again." FG gushes. 

Carlos looks over at her. "You are on fire, girl!"

Mal looks up barely and lets go of her hair. "Just pick the one that doesn't sound like any fun." She says it like it's the most obvious thing ever.

"Oh..." The rest of the VK's say. Jane taps me. 

"I've gotta get mom to sign this. Come with me?" She pleads. I hook my arm through hers. 

"Sure."

She smiles then starts into the room. I let go of her arm since the area's too small for two people to walk together. Jane squeals when she passes the VK's, but I'm more interested in what Mal is drawing. I peek as I walk by. FG's wand! 

"Hello, dear one!" FG says to Jane. 

"Hi." Jane says breathlessly. "You need to sign off an early dismissal for the coronation." She says, shoving the clipboard to her mom. I speed up to get up there with Jane. 

As FG signs it, she starts talking. "Everyone here remembers my daughter Jane?"

"Mom! No!" Jane pleads. I take her hand. 

"It's okay! Jane, this is everyone." She shoves Jane towards the VK's. 

Jane shuffles forward. "Hi." she squeaks. "That's okay. Don't mind me. As you were." She bolts past them and squeals again. I roll my eyes jokingly and follow her. But I stop by Mal.

"That's a great drawing." I tell her, pointing to FG's wand."

She covers it with her arm. "This? It's nothing." She waves it away. "Elicia, right? Ice Queen?"

I sigh. "I'd like you to remember me as "the nice girl" or "the funny girl" not "Ice Queen", but yeah."

FG hears. "Ellie! That reminds me, we need to talk."

"Now?" I ask. 

"Oh, they don't mind. Do you, kids?" FG asks the VK's. Mal just goes back to drawing. So I walk up to FG, dreading what she'll say.