New VK's

"Ellie. Ellie. Elicia!"

I snap awake, my head popping up from its place on my elbow. Carlos grins. 

"If you thought my story was boring, you could have just told me."

I give a yawn and straighten off the picnic table. Dude hops up in my lap. "Hi buddy. No, Carlos, I'm sorry. I just--" Big yawn. "I never get any sleep any more."

"Because of Jane?"

"Yes. She's so stressed about the tests, and the classes, and the fact that she still doesn't have a boyfriend, she keeps me up!"

Carlos laughs. "You could always ask to switch roommates, you know."

"I don't want a new roommate! I just want Jane to shut up sometimes!" I snap. I sigh and rub my forehead. "Sorry."

"No sorries." He says, chipper. "On the Isle, people were way grumpier than a sleepy Ellie."

"Burn!" Dude says. 

"You still talk?" I gripe. "Wasn't the truth gummy supposed to wear off by now?"

"I keep having Mal make them." Carlos tells me. "Dude doesn't want to stop talking. He says he likes them."

"Yeah!" Dude says. He hops off my lap again. "Now I can tell people when I'm hungry! Speaking of, I'm hungry!"

"Ha-ha." Carlos says. "I just fed you like an hour ago!"

"Your point is?"

"As fun as this would be to watch," I interrupt. "Carlos, I'm sorry, I have to go. I'm kinda glad you woke me up, because--"

The bell rings. 

"Crap." I mutter. "Late for class. Bye!" I kiss him on the cheek quickly and rush to science. Evie waves to me just as I sit down. Mr. Deley gives a grumpy look.

"Elicia! How nice of you to join us."

"Sorry, Mr. Deley." I tell him. 

"Sorry doesn't remove the fact that this was your fifth tardy this month. Detention, Elicia. My classroom, 5:00 sharp."

I groan and put my head on my desk. Evie's hand rubs my shoulder. 

"Now!" Mr. Deley says. "Tell me, class, what is the..."

"Hey." Evie whispers. "Why do you keep being late?"

I look up. "Jane. She's keeping me up at night. She has to study for this, complain about that!"

Evie smiles sympathetically. "Don't worry. She'll stop eventually."

"But until then, I have detention." I say.

She shrugs. "How bad can it be?"

______________________________________

"Well, fancy seeing you here."

I groan and bang my head on the desk. "Why am I not surprised that Ned of Maldonia is in detention?"

He sits down next to me. I grab my bag to move, and he latches onto my wrist. "Don't move, Ells. I just want to talk."

"You. Just want to talk. Funny, how you expect me to believe you."

"Listen, I just wanted to say that I really like how you're handling your permanent decision to stay in Auradon. Getting detention? Big deal!"

"Oh, ha ha." I scowl, ripping my hand away and moving chairs. He just moves next to me again. I groan and lay my head down on the table. "What do you want, you jerk?"