I'm on a Train

IMPORTANT: In this fan fiction Katniss does not know Gale or Peeta. I repeat, Katniss does not know Gale or Peeta!!

*Katniss's POV*

"Mom, please don't do this." I begged my mother. She just shook her head.

"Darling, it's the best thing." She said, as if that was supposed to help me. "And your doctor said this would help you."

    I snorted loudly. My doctor was crazy. He's crazy for thinking I'm crazy. Maybe I am crazy. Who knows? Either way I was being sent to the nut house.

   Yes, you heard right. I was being shipped away from my family to the capitol, 'Sunny Days Home for the Mentally ill' to be exact. The doctor said I have major depression, no surprise. My father died in a mine accident when I was eleven years old, leaving my mother in a terrible state and me and Prim starving.   Well, it took a toll on me. I became depressed. My first reaping came the next year, not helping my increasing sadness. By now, at sixteen, I was diagnosed as depressed. I wasn't going to kill myself or anything, but my doctor says I have to go to a mental hospital.

   Right now we were walking to the train station. About once every two months a train comes to take people to the capitol for official reasons. I guess that includes taking nuts like me to the funny farm. Before us looms the station, not many people are gathered around it, thirty maximum. About half look like they're actually going to board the train; the others look as if they're just waving people off.

   "Katniss, do you have to go?" Prim asks from next to me. Only twelve years old, yet she has to watch her sister be taken from her.

    I look at my mother. "Yes, sweetie, Katniss has to go to the capitol." She replies to Prim, avoiding my gaze. I sigh, and Prim looks at her feet.

    The trains whistle blows, telling us it's time to board. I give Prim a large hug, "I'll be back soon, Prim." I mutter in her ear. A tear escapes her eye. I straighten up and look at my mom. "Thanks, mom, you starve us then ship your oldest child to the nut house. You’re such a great mother."

   And with that I grab my bags and board the train, not even bothering to look at my mother's reaction.

********************

    I sit in my bunk, not knowing what to do. An attendant told me to stay in here for the trip; I guess he doesn't want crazy people running around the train. As far as I know I am one of two people on this train going to Sunny Days House for the mentally ill. The other is a boy I only saw for a couple of seconds when being taken to our rooms. He was taller and stronger looking than me, but otherwise looked like he could be my sibling.

   I count to a hundred for the third time this trip when my door opens. I look to see an attendant with a tray of food. "Ms. Everdeen, I have some dinner for you." He said, looking slightly afraid of me.

    I jumped from the bed and grabbed the food from him. He quickly exited. I laid the tray on the small coffee table in my room, and began to eat. It was bland, just roasted venison and some turnips. I sighed, disappointed with my meal. Oh well.

   Feeling sleepy I push my tray into the corner and collapse on the downy comforter. Without even bothering to get into pajamas, I fall into a deep sleep.