20- "Lucky me"

AYU

I came to college early today and bought some coffee at the nearby store. I just arrived at the campus when I spotted Jamie far across the opposite side. Woah, he's early today. I was about to call him when he got surrounded by some of his male friends. He sure was well known amongst his friends. Regardless, I proceeded to my class.

Soon, it was recess time.

"What happened?" Ashima whispered when she heard me sigh.

"Nothing, just kind of bored." I answered. The five of us didn't meet everyday during recess. If one of us was busy with something, they would inform us beforehand. Just like how Jamie and Zen informed that they would be busy with something. Whenever that happened, I and Ashima and I would end up spending time with our classmates.

"You sure nothing's wrong, right." Ashima wanted to confirm.

"Yes Ashima, I told you everything is  fine now." I gave her a reassuring smile. It's actually something else...

"Okay, if you ever want to talk about it, know that I'm here. Even though I might not be good at giving advises." she said shyly.

"Oh, Ashima, I love you." I hugged her while she tried to pull away.

At the end of the day, I still didn’t get to see Jamie. I wanted to thank him for yesterday. Is that the only reason you want to see him? Yes, no problem in seeing someone, right? I replied to my conscience.

Back at the pg, the girls were having dinner at the dining hall. Surprisingly, I received a call from Jamie. Normally I didn't pick up anyone's phone during dinner but something told me that I should, so I  hurried to my room, leaving my astonished roomies behind.

"Uh, hi there," spoke a nervous voice. "I hope you weren't busy."

"No no, just finished my dinner. What's up?" I half lied.

"Guess where I'm right now?" He challenged and I could well imagine that he was smiling widely.

"Is that why you called me?" I said with disappointment.  "Wait, what's that sound, Jamie? Where are you?" I enquired as soon as I heard a woman's voice making an announcement.

"Actually... I'm leaving India since it hasn't been helping me score girls. I'm still single so I've decided to pick some Australian chicks instead. Home is indeed the best." he said dramatically.

"Are you done now? Look, I don't have the luxury of listening to your pointless whining all night so why don't you start speaking now." I put his words back on him. How do you like that?

"Taking your sweet revenge on me, eh? Not bad." he said reverting back to his serious mode. "I'm at the airport right, waiting for my flight to board."

"What?! So you weren't lying about leaving India?" I asked, panicked.

"Yeah, but only for a week max."

"Why so suddenly? You never told anyone about it."

"Yeah, it was sudden thanks to my not-so-understanding Dad and his threatening ways." He sighed.

"Oh, but you"ll miss your classes this way. What about your attendance?"

"I know, but it can't be helped. My father has issued a leave application so... I wouldn't be going if it wasn't important." He explained, his voice strained.

"It's okay. Don't worry. I'll make sure Zen covers up for you in case any test, practical or assignment comes up." I assure him.

"Yeah, do remind him for me. Ah, finally." He said, excitement evident in his voice. Even I could hear the announcement requesting the passengers to be on board. It was his flight.