14- "Should I go?"

Edited.                                                           

Cold winds blew the fatigue from their faces. Jamie and Ayu were walking down a long empty road with the buzzing sound of crickets and fireflies engulfing them. Jamie continued to walk, having no clue where Ayu was taking him, and wondered why he was tagging along when he wasn't in the mood to.

"Can we please go back now?" Jamie said, getting grumpy.

"Stop complaining. It's only been five minutes, for God's sake." Ayu rolled her eyes.

Jamie sighed. They walked past the fields, the ruffling of the grass ringing in their ears. Just then, the sound became louder and more noticeable, almost like something was there behind Jamie. It can't be Ayu because she is walking ahead of me, he thought. He stood in place, numb.

"What happened?" Ayu asked him, and her eyes grew wide as she looked at something behind him. He looked at her, getting frightened already. It was wrong to come here after all.

"Jamie," She whispered. "Don't move an inch, and when I say, you will run away as fast as you can." 

His face grew white. "B-but, what the hell is it?" He gulped, trying to look back.

"Don't look behind, idiot! It's a boar. Oh, shit! RUN." She yelled, already running away. Chanting a silent prayer in his mind, Jamie took a huge leap and ran for his dear life.

"Is it... chasing us? I hope not." He panted after stopping somewhere to catch his breath, while Ayu was covering her mouth with her hands.

"Are you okay?" He asked when he realizes she still hadn't said anything.

Ayu looked at him with a strange look on her face like she can't hold it anymore. For a moment, Jamie thought that she was going to vomit, but then she burst out laughing. "Oh, my God. You really," She tried to put into words and continued to laugh until she was out of breath.

At first, Jamie stared at her blankly, not being able to understand her reaction, and then he felt like the biggest fool ever. "You- you fooled me." He said, trying to control his anger and embarrassment at the same time. 

"You should have looked at yourself in the mirror. 'B-but, what the hell is it?'" She tried to imitate him, making a pitiful face.

"You bitch," Jamie held back a grin and hit her lightly on her shoulder. He looked around, wondering how far they ran.

"We are almost there." Ayu smiled.

"But I don't see anything around except a small cliff a few meters ahead of us." He said but Ayu didn't reply. They walked until she stopped right in front of a haphazard stairway that led to the cliff and gave Jamie a weird grin.

"Absolutely not." He protested. "There's no way we are going up there. I mean, just look at the stairs, and there are no lights! And you even-"

"Ugh! Are you done complaining?" Ayu cut him off. He gave her a cold glare.

"Look, Ayu, we can do this some other time, but right now, I'm not in the mood to play your games." Jamie said, being honest.

"I know that. You've been like that ever since you came here." Ayu complained. She brought him here in hopes of cheering him up a bit and she was determined to do it. "Okay, then off we go." She said, already marching forward.

Even after many 'why's and 'won't's from Jamie, they ended up going on the cliff anyway. It was pitch-dark, but with the help of the flashlights in their mobile phones, they were able to get past the uneven, rocky stairs. When they reached the top, Jamie stopped, observing the view around him.