17

place: Beyonce's house
Time: 8:51 p.m
Date: September 10th, 2001

I took in a deep breath as I knocked on Beyonce and Kelly's door. I could heard the music blasting from inside. But it was louder when the door swung open. I looked Kelly in the eyes as she stood there. I didn't know what to say, I mean Kelly hadn't really been talking to me that much either since me and Beyonce's fight.

She grabbed my arm. "I'm so glad you're here, she really misses you."

"Why you say that?"

She shrugged and led me into the living room where their party was being held. I mean it was just so packed, it seemed like it was hard to move. But I could see she made alot of friends in just her short amount of time being here. I turned to ask where she was, but she was gone. I looked over at the door and saw Roy walking in. I shoulda known.

"Hey Shawn you wanna dance?" I swirled around and saw this girl named Nashay. I smiled a little.

"Umm sure"

She grabbed my hand and led me over to the corner. I stood in the corner and she starting grinding up on me to J-Kwons Tipsy. I held her by the waist and moved with her to the beat. I didn't like Shay like that, I just said yes kuz she was getting a full dance scholoarship to this performing arts school. So I already knew she could dance. So soon as the song went off, I looked up to find Beyonce. As soon as I turned my head, I felt someone backing up on me. It was Nashay's twin Nyesha. Now I knew they were both going to a performing arts school, but I had no idea she was a dancer. Got damn! By now, Lil Wayne's The Block is Hot was bumpin through the speakers and lil ma was killing it.

I took in a deep breath as she contined to work me. As I closed my eyes I felt a slap against my head. They shot open and I saw Roy standing there. Nyesha was gone and I was upset.

"The hell you hit me for!" I said rubbing my head.

"What are you doing?"

"Well I was dancing with Nyesha, by the way where did she go?"

"I sent her to go dance with Tony. Anyways why are you dancing with Nyesha and Beyonce is over there dancing with Jamal."

I shrugged. "Man I don't know, that's her thang. I aint got nothing to do with it."

"Oh my god, will y'all stop being so damn stubborn! Go dance with her."

"Nah I'm good. I mean...Imma go get something to drink okay"

"OK, but you know she was gettin low on Jamal and everything. Damn ma, got moves."

I rolled my eyes and walked through the crowd. Out of the corner of my eye I saw what Roy was talking about. Beyonce was twerking all up on this boy named Jamal. And she was gettin it. I tried to act like it didn't bother me and kept going. I went over and got me a drink and gulped it down.

"Whoah Shawn, slow down." I turned around and saw Kelly standing there. "There's more."

"Whatever, I'm just thirsty is all. Why you ain't dancing with Roy?"

"Oh...I sent him somewhere. I saw that by the way."

"Saw what?"

"That look you gave her and Jamal when they were dancing. Of course they didn't see it, but still. I know it bothered you."

"Yeah so what...what do I do Kelly?"

"Start with a dance. Just make sure the DJ plays the perfect song, and then ask her to dance."

I looked at her unsure. "Will that work?"

"As long as you're sure this is what you want Shawn. Don't do it kuz you think you're gonna lose her. Do it kuz you wanna be with her."

"But I don't wanna lose her, and I do wanna be with her."

She patted me on the back. "Well then go tell her that."

* * *

After sitting off to the side, I thought of the perfect song to play. I stood by the DJ, and wrote something down on the back of a gum wrapper. He nodded as I walked away. As I stood behind her my heart started beating uncontrollably. I raised my hand in the air, and waved him off. As the beat dropped, I placed my hands on her hips. Shockingly she turned around. I was so close, with one movement we'd be kissing.

"I just wanna dance with you, if you say no then I'll understand."

"Fine whatever"

I placed my hands on her waist as we moved to the beat. She kept her distance from me as the song played.

Hey lady let me tell you why,
I cant live my life without you,oh baby
everytime I see you walking by i get a thrill
you dont notice me but in time you will,I must make you
understand.....

"Tell me this isn't want you want. Tell me that you don't want us to be together and I'll walk away right now." I said looking her in the eyes.

"Shawn this is what I've always wanted since the day I met you."

"You never said anything"

"I didn't know how"

I wanna be your man (I wanna be your man)
I wanna be your man (I do yeah,yeah)
I wanna be your man (I wanna be your man)

Better not pass me by,cause if you do you'll lose a good
thing, (oh baby) Cause what I got to say is sealed with a kiss
and a wedding ring
(wedding ring)
My mind is blind at times
I can't see any one but you
Those other girls don't matter no they can't spoil my view
I must make you understand.....

I pulled her closer to me. As a response, she wrapped her arms around my neck as I smiled. Our faces were an inch apart.

"About what you said last week"

"I said alot of stuff last week"

"I meant the part about what's stopping us from being together." She nodded for me to go on. "Well I've been trying to find an answer to that question..."

"And what did you come up with?"

I looked at her. "There isn't one. There is no reason why we can't be together. It's clear that we should be together."

Words can never say what I feel, (it's too intense)
oh oh oh oh. I tried I tried I tried I tried to tell you
how I feel,but I get mixed up (soo mixed up)
my mind is blind at times I cant see anyone but you,those other
girls dont matter no they cant spoil my view,I must make you
understand.....
[chorus: repeat till song goes off]

As the song went off, she was staring dead in my eyes.

"So what are you saying Shawn?"

I smiled a little, as I raised my hand in the air. The beat for Sisqo's Incomplete dropped. She smiled and leaned in and kissed me deeply on the lips as the song continued to play. She stuck her tounge in my mouth as Kelly had the DJ stopped the track. Her loud self got on the mic.

"WELL AFTER SO MUCH FRONTIN THEY FINALLY GOT TOGETHER!"

Everyone's head turned towards the center of the room where we were standing. She pulled away and kissed me one last time before letting go of me. She tried to walk away, but I pulled her back by her waist and wrapped my arms around her backside as we swayed to the song.