8

place: Shawn's apartment
time: 9:00 p.m
date: August 15th 2001

"Daddy you otay?" Aaliyah asked looking up at me, while she sat in the tub playing with her toys. I nodded with a smile.

"Yeah mama, hurry up so you can get in the bed. Daddy got a phone call to make."

"Otay" she picked her her little rag and started to wash herself. But she was moving to slow so I took it away from her. "Noo, daddy I can do it" she whined.

"I know Li, but you moving too slow, and daddy really needs to make this call." I finished washing her up and got her dressed and ready for bed. I laid her down in her bed and she looked so mad at me. And that look she had on her face, hurt me. "You wanna sleep in my room?"

She shook her head. "No"

"I know you're mad, but what if daddy got you some milk and cookies before you went to sleep. Would you be happy then?"

Her face lit up. "Yes"

"Alright then, go get in my bed and I'll be right there."

She ran towards the door. "Otay!"

I picked up the house phone and walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table and dialed Kelly's number.

"Hello"

"Kelly, we need to talk. It's important" I blurted out.

"Shawn?"

"Beyonce?" I asked holding the phone away from my ear. I forgot she stayed there. "Oh snap, my bad. I forgot you stayed there now."

"Naw, it's cool. Hold on let me go get Kelly."

"Okay"

I heard her yell and then Kelly yelled back, and it just went on like that for a while before Kelly came to the phone.

"Nigga what you want?! Shoot I go to school with you for 8 hours, and when I come home, I dont want you to call me" she laughed.

"Whatever, Kelly this is important."

She sighed. "Alright, alright, damn what is it?"

"See today I---" I got cut off my Aaliyah's voice.

"DADDY! COOKIES!"

"Hold on Kelly." I put the phone to my shoulder. "I'm coming babygirl." I got her stuff and warmed up some milk and took it to her. "Here you go, and don't spill it neither. I don't want my sheets smellin like hot old milk."

"Otay daddy"

I ran back into the kitchen and brought the phone back to my mouth. "Kelz you still there?"

"Yeah, so what's so important?"

"Oh yeah, today after school, I ran into Candace."

"Aw Hell Nah! What she say?"

"She said she wanted to see Amanda."

I know Kelly was just as confused as I was. "Who the fuck is Amanda?"

"She meant Aaliyah. So I went off. I told her that the nigga she was messin with had her head so messed up she couldn't even remember her own child's name. And then I told her that I'd be damned if I even let her see a picture of Aaliyah. Then I left."

"Just gimmie an address and I'll go find the bitch and personally cut her myself."

I just laughed. "Just calm down. What should I do?"

"Get you a girlfriend to beat the hoe's ass"

"For the last time Kelly, I don't date."

"Well you should. You know that whole 'I dont date' thing is gonna come back and bite you in the ass when Aaliyah is 5 years old, and starts Kindergarten. One day she's going to come home askin why she doesn't have a mommy like everyone else." I sighed. "I know...I know. But I mean, where do I start?"

"Try being nice, and stop scaring off every girl you meet. You never know, the right one could be around and you would never know."

"I hate it when you start to make sense."

"I know, so does everyone else. Look I'm finna go out with Roy, so you wanna hang up here or do you wanna talk to Beyonce?"

I smiled. "Umm, lemme talk to Beyonce right quick."

"Mm, kay. Here Beyonce, Shawn wants to talk to you."

She got on the phone. "Hey"

"Wussup Bee"

" Nothing, just hanging around the house. Wishin I had something to do this weekend."

"What? Watching Kelly and Roy isn't fun?"

She laughed. "Not very. But it's good to see her happy."

"That's nice of you...so um since you're stuck in the house, you wanna hang out tomorrow night. Just me and you?"

"Sure...I'd like that."

"Cool, I'll pick you up around 6"

"Thats fine with me"

We stayed on the phone for almost 3 hours, until she started to fall asleep. She was breathing into the phone and it made me smile. So I just let her go to sleep. But I had to find a babysitter for Aaliyah, so I could take Beyonce out. Don't get it twisted. This wasn't a date...or is it.