4

Place: Forrest Harper High School
Time: 8:00 a.m
Date: August 15th 2001

"What! You are actually here on time." Roy said walking up to me.

I gave him a fake laugh. "Ha Ha Ha, whatever. I won't be here all day."

"Why not? And where's Aaliyah?" He asked.

"At my mom's house til I can go get her."

"Why, what's wrong?"

"She was sick last night. And I had to take care of her."

"Well who else is gonna do it?"

I shrugged ."I dont know. But I know it's sure as hell ain't gone be Candice trifilin ass."

"Don't even go there talkin about her kuz it's just gone make you mad. You know you need to be worried about my little angel."

I nodded. "Yeah I know, you right. Where Kelly?"

"In the office with her cousin."

"You seen her?"

He shook his head. "Nah, but Kelly won't stop talking about her. She got in around 6 last night. And Kelly got off the phone with me just to talk to her. What a rip off!" I laughed. "It ain't funny Shawn. I'm tellin you, her cousin better be one hell of a person if she cut me off for the night."

"Oh stop complaining. Be happy with what you got."

He shrugged. "What do I have?"

"A life. A girlfriend who you love, and freedom."

"Yeah that's true. But I mean to a lot of people your life is great." He said.

I opened my locker. "Great how? The only thing great about my life is my 2-year-old daughter. She's all I have to live for. I mean, I ain't got no girl, I have a part time job and bills. Big deal."

"Stop being so damn ungrateful Shawn. People would kill to have a life like yours."

"I don't see why." I mumbled.

"Look just relax aiight. Just know that you have the most lovable daughter who cares about you. And as for you not having a girl...well that's all on you. You keep pushing some nice ones away. I know you said awhile back that it's a test to see if they'll come back after you give them a hard time, but you gotta understand that some might not try."

"I hear you Roy." The bell for first period rung, but because I spent alot of time talking, I didn't get my books. "You go on and head to class, I'll catch up with you." I told Roy.

"You sure?"

I nodded. "Yeah im good, they won't know that Aaliyah's not here, so I can use her as an excuse."

"Man you lucky you know that. Maybe I can say that I found out I had a child and we just met like 3 seconds ago."

I busted out laughing. "You is stupid Roy."

"Thanks, but if you see Kelly tell her that I'll see her later."

"You got it." he ran down the hall, as I continued to get my stuff out my locker.

"Umm, excuse me." A voice said down the hall. I looked up and my mouth dropped. God damn! This girl started walking towards me. She had on some jeans, a red female polo shirt, and some all white air force ones. Her long hair was in a ponytail, and damn did she look good. I ain't never seen her before .

" Umm, can you help me?" she asked approching me. I looked at her soft brown eyes.

"Help you with what?"

"Actually I need help with two things. First off I need help with my locker. It's kinda stuck."

I nodded and grabbed my books. I followed her to her locker and she pointed. "Combination 0-18-0." I looked at her and then smiled. "What?"

I shook my head. "Nothing." I set my stuff on the floor and tried to open the locker. But it was stuck. I used all my might and pulled it open. "You should tell someone about that." She smiled at me.

"Thank you."

"No problem." I started to walk away but she stopped me.

"I was hoping you could help me with the second thing."

I smiled a little. "What's that?"

"Well I was wondering if you could show me to my first class. I don't know where it is."

"Yeah, lemme see your schedule." she handed it to me and I almost choked on my spit. "You're Beyonce?" I asked looking over at her.

She nodded with a raised eyebrow. It kinda scared me. Ain't no one ever done that to me. "Yeah, why?"

"Ohhhhhhh so you're Kelly's cousin."

She nodded again.

"So lemme get this straight, she left you in the hall lost and confused?"

"Yeah, you'll have to excuse Kelly. She's like that sometimes. But I can't be mad at her."

"Why not?"

"Kuz if she woulda took me to my class, then I wouldn't have met you."

I wanted to say something to her about that, but I remembered what Roy was saying. I stuck out my hand. "Shawn Carter." I greeted.

"Beyonce Knowles, nice to meet you."

I looked down at her paper "Well Ms. Knowles, you're in luck. You got your first 3 classes with me."

"Cool"

I bent down and picked up her books "Shall we"

She smiled. "We shall."

*******Comment, VOTE!*******