14

place: Forrest Harper High School
Time: 1:43 p.m
Date: September 1st 2001

"YO Roy Toy, can I borrow a pencil?" I laughed leaning back in my seat. Kelly told me about his nickname the other night. He turned around and threw a punch but I dodged it.

"I know she didn't tell you about that name!"

I laughed and nodded. "Man yall are just plain nasty you know that."

"Mr. Carter, Mr. Williams, is there a problem back there?" the teacher asked.

"Naw I was just asking to borrow a pencil from Shawn, you can go back to your lesson."

"Thank you Mr. Williams. I always appreciate your permission."

He winked and turned back around. "I understand, alot of people do. It's natural I guess." Roy replied.

"So do you think that me giving you detention again would be natural too?"

"I mean, it's not like I haven't served detention before. You gotta do what you gotta do."

Roy didn't have a smart mouth, it was just that our Calculus teacher, Ms. Roberts, didn't like him. So they went back and forth everyday. I looked up at the clock as the bell rung for last period class. I got my schedule switched for some unknown reason, and now I was in class with Kelly, Beyonce, and Roy. It was Home Economics. I don't really like that class though.

I went to my locker and tossed my books in. The teacher said don't bring no books to her class. Said we wasn't gone need nothing but a pencil. Cool with me.

"Hey Shawn." I turned around and came face to face with Candace. I sighed heavily and turned back around. "I know you see me standing right here." When I didn't answer her, she grew agitated so she slapped me in the back of the head.

"SHAWN!"

I turned around and pushed her back. "Bitch don't put your hands on me."

She stumbled but came back stronger. "Shawn please, I wanna see my baby."

"And I want a million dollars so I can get away from your trick ass, but it ain't gone happen."

"OH HELL NO!" Candace and I both turned and saw Kelly and Beyonce walking towards us. Kelly ran up and grabbed Candace by the hair. "I've been waiting for this moment bitch. Shawn, Bee save me a seat in class. Imma be a little late."

I closed my locker and Beyonce and I walked to class.

* * *

"So Shawn...what's up with you and my cousin. I saw y'all walking to class." Kelly asked as we sat around in the back. We had a sub today. Kelly and I were talking, Roy was sleep on the couch, and Beyonce was in the front talking.

"Mind your business." I said laughing.

"You coming to her party she's having?"

"What party?"

"Her birthday is on the 4th but we gone have a party for her next weekend. You coming?"

"Yeah, I'll see what I can do."

Beyonce came walking into the back eating some cookies from a plastic bag. When she walked past me, I snatched the bag from her hand and ate one. She smacked me in the head.

"Those are mine Shawn!"

"Shut up." I pulled her down into my lap and ate them in her face. "Mmm. These are good."

"Hold up, I thought you said y'all didn't go out?" Kelly said smiling at us.

"We don't." I said eating another cookie. "Didn't I tell you to mind your business?"

"It doesn't matter what you said. She's still my cousin, and I have the right to know."

"Know what? There's nothing to know. We're just friends." Beyonce said.

"Exactly" I handed her back the bag.

She rolled her eyes. "Friends with benefits. I mean, what friends do you know kiss each other on the lips?" Kelly continued.

"Why don't you go sit with Roy Toy. I'm sure he wants to be around you right now." I said.

She smacked me in the head. "Shut up" She walked away.

"Why does everyone keep hitting me in the head today?"

"Kuz it's fun." Beyonce replied.

I smiled at her. "I know something that's a blast"

"What?"

I kissed her on the lips, snatched her cookies and pushed her off my lap onto the floor. She looked back up at me pissed off. But I was laughing my ass off.