7

place: Harper High School
time: 3:27 p.m
date: August 15, 2001

"I failed the test!" I said to my last period teacher.
"Oh okay." I added, trying to walk out of the building.

"Wait Shawn. Don't you wanna talk about it?" My teacher asked.

I shook my head. "Nah not really."

"Shawn you're one of the smartest kids in this class, I know you had all of that information down pact. What happened. Did you study?"

"I tried too, but I couldn't finish."

"Why not?"

My nostrils flarred. He was getting too damn nosey for his own good. But why keep it a secrect. I ain't ashamed of Aaliyah.

"Kuz my daughter got sick on the night before the test. I stayed up to take care of her."

He raised his eyebrow. "Now when you say sick you mean...?"

"I mean she was just throwing up everywhere. And just kept going until she started to gag. Finally I got her settled and then by the time she went to sleep, I called it a night."

"Where was her mother?"

My blood boiled. "That bitch ain't no mother. I raised Aaliyah on my own for the past two years. Ever since I was 15 years old. Fuck her, she ain't no mother!" I yelled. He motioned for me to calm down, so I did.

"Look Shawn, why don't you take the weekened to review the chapter and you can make it up on Monday when you come back to school."

I nodded. "Thanks Mr.Brown."

"You got it."

I walked out of the class, and went to my locker and then went outside to wait for the bus. I looked at my watch. Fuck! The 3:30 bus was gone, and the next one wasn't until 3:50. That damn teacher made me late.

"Shawn...is that you?"

I smiled and looked up. "How is it that you always pop up when I'm alone. I'm starting to think you're following me Bey---" I was cut off in mid sentence when I realized that it wasn't Beyonce standing before me. It was Candice. The second I saw her, I was ready to beat the shit out of her, but then I realized that she was a female. I dont hit girls. Hell, I don't even whoop Aaliyah. "The Fuck do you want!"

She looked offended. "Calm down Shawn, I just wanna talk."

"Fuck that, I aint got shit to say to you. So get the fuck away from here."

She looked around frantically. "Please Shawn...I..I just wannna see her. Where is she?"

"Where is who?"

"A-a-Amanda..our daughter. Where is she? I just wanna see her."

My blood boiled again. "WHO THE FUCK IS AMANDA. SEE THAT NIGGA GOT YOUR MIND SO FUCKED UP, YOU CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER HER NAME. HER NAME IS AALIYAH, AND I'LL BE DAMNED IF I EVEN LET YOU SEE A PICTURE OF HER"

"Just answer me this Shawn...are you happy? Is she happy?"

"Ecstatic now that I got her and you don't."

I looked up and saw the bus pulling up. I shook my head at Candice and ran and got on the bus. She had some nerve.