9 Part 1

place: Shawn's apartment
time: 5: 23 p.m
date: August 16th

"Daddy why you smell so good?" Aaliyah asked me, as I walked out of the bathroom fresh from the shower.

"Kuz I'm about to go out. You're going over grandma's house until I come home."

"But I don't wanna go. I wanna go wif you" she said pouting.

"No babygirl, not tonight. Daddy is going out."

"Daddy go on date?"

I thought about it for a second and shook my head "Naw mama this isn't a date. I'm just taking a friend out for dinner and a movie."

"Sounds like date to me."

I looked down at her and then at the water dripping on my carpet. "Well it's not. Go on to your room, so I can get dressed. I'll be there in a second to get you ready."

She sighed and jumped down on my bed. "Otay." She walked out, closing the door behind her. I smiled and went to dry off. I put on my boxers, lotion, and socks. Next I put on some basketball shorts. I went to my closet and picked out my outfit and then got dressed.

I brushed my hair and then my teeth. I grabbed my wallet, keys, gum, and cell phone before walking down the hall to Aaliyah's room. She was laying on her bed coloring in her Winnie The Pooh coloring book. I knocked on the door and she looked up.

"C'mon let's get you dressed mama."

"But I wanna go with you daddy."

I sighed and went to get an outfit from her closet "What did I tell you earlier Aaliyah. Not this time."

"But why?"

"Because that's the way it is. Now let's get you dressed."

She folded her arms across her chest with her lip poked out. "NO!"

I balled up my fist and took a deep breath. "Aaliyah stop making this so difficult and get dressed so I can take you to grandma's house." I looked at my watch. It was 5 minutes til 6, and I knew I was going to be late. Tears formed in her eyes and slowly fell. I picked her up and carried her to the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth again. My mom's boyfriend was taking them out for ice cream. My mom and dad got a divorce about a month before Aaliyah was born. He stays about an hour away from me, but we still keep in touch and Aaliyah is his pride and joy.

Once I was done in the bathroom, I led her back to her room where I stripped her out of her clothes and got her dressed. I took her comb and parted her hair down the middle of her head, and put two ponytails in. I tied two red ribbons on them, and called it good. I stood up and looked around for a second.

"Shit" I mumbled. "Stay right here, I'll be back." She didn't even look at me. I ran to my room and searched through all of my drawers and pulled out a new bottle of cologne. Burberry. My dad sent it to me about 3 months ago. I never had a reason to use it. I sprayed on a little here and there, and I was finally done. I went back to Aaliyah's room and sat on the floor in front of her. She was sitting on the bed with her little legs dangling over the side.

"Aaliyah..look at me." She raised her head and looked me right square in the eyes. "I know that you wanna go with me, but there are something's you just can't do. And tonight this is one of them. I promised I'd take out a friend, and I can't break that promise. Kuz that's not me. But no matter who I take out or date or whatever you wanna call it, you're always going to be number one in my heart. Why do you think I haven't been out with anyone?" She shrugged her little shoulders. I smiled and poked her stomach making her smile. "Kuz I already have a girl in my life, and I didn't think I needed another one. But in reality I think I do. And so do you. You just don't know it yet. Understand?"

She nodded. "I think so."

"Alright, let's get out of here. I'm already late enough."

Aaliyah laughed. "Sowwy daddy"

"That's alright." I grabbed her hand and we took a bus to my mother's house. I gave them both a hug and a kiss goodbye, got my mom's keys to her car and went to Kelly's house to pick Beyonce up.