Chapter Seventy-Three

(Luca's P.O.V.)

Riley just texted me to tell me they're on their way. Storm gave me some money for food and I have my ice skates in my bag. He's happy I'm hanging out with friends instead of sitting alone on a Friday night. 

"I'll see you when you get home!" Storm says as he hugs me once we hear a car honk. 

"B-Bye, Stormy," I say and walk outside. I see Kyla and her mom up front while Angie and Riley are in the back. I get in the car and sit down next to Riley.

"Hi, Luca, it's nice to finally meet you! You can call me Darlene." 

"N-Nice to m-m-meet you, too," I mumble shyly and smile.

"You guys are going to love this place. Where I used to live everyone is so open-minded. There are the occasional jerks, but I doubt we'll see them," Angie says. I smile in relief. I was worried about how people would react to a gay double date. Also, I'm glad it's not in our area because there's less of a chance of seeing someone we know that would gossip. 

"I gave Kyla some extra money for food or other entertainment. If you need to be picked up early just call me," Darlene says. 

"Thanks, Mom." We sit in silence while listening to the radio for about a half an hour before pulling into the parking lot. 

"Have fun! Be safe!" 

"We will," Angie says and we grab our stuff. Riley and Kyla go up to the rental booth to get their skates. Angie and I already have ours from home. "I can't wait to see your moves on the ice."

I laugh and say, "I-I can't do a-any tricks. I-I-I just know h-h-how to not fall d-down."

"Well, that's one step better than me. I hope this date goes well. You and Riley deserve a day out together and I really want Kyla to like me." She blushes and I smile while nudging her arm.

"She'll h-h-have to be b-blind to not d-d-date you after th-this. You guys a-are c-cute tog-gether." 

"Thank, Luca," Angie says while tucking her hair behind her air. She must do that when she's nervous. "It feels nice being back in my old town again. Frankview is a bit too closeminded in some places." I nod in agreement as Riley and Kyla walk up to us.

"You ready? We can go put our stuff in our lockers we rented and then get our skates on," Riley says. I follow Riley to the lockers and he unlocks the fifth one. We put our shoes inside before locking it up and going out to the rink. We sit down to put on our skates and Riley smiles nervously. "You promise to not let me fall?" 

"N-Not on p-p-purpose," I say and he laughs. 

"Let's go." He takes my hand and we walk with difficulty to the opening of the rink. Kyla and Angie are already inside doing their best to stay up.

I head out onto the ice first and Riley grabs my hand while I slowly pull him away from the wall. He's really wobbly and his legs are shaking. "Relax. Y-Y-You won't g-g-get hurt if you f-fall." 

"Okay, I trust you." He lets me guide him farther away from the wall but is having a lot of trouble staying up. Kyla and Angie see the trouble he's having and Kyla holds Riley up on the other side as Angie holds on to her. "I guess I'm worse on the ice than I thought," Riley chuckles. 

"Y-You just h-h-have to learn to rel-lax. A-All th-the s-stress you're p-putting o-o-on yours-self by having no t-trust in not falling makes y-you ext-tra wobbly." He takes a few deep breaths and we start to skate without him almost falling every few seconds.

"I think I got the hang of it!" Kyla smiles and let's go of Riley so her and Angie can skate alone together. "Thanks for the help," Riley says to them as they skate away.