Polaroid

By multifandomizer on Tumblr

Daryl Dixon wasn’t exactly someone you would imagine in a passionate relationship. He would barely show any other emotion than anger, a scowl permanent on his face. The only people he ever let close were his brother, Rick and Carol. That was, until you came along. You turned his world upside down, though he would never admit that to anyone. You were the complete opposite of him, bubbly, affectionate and always there to cheer someone up. Why you fell for him exactly was beyond his knowledge. You were gorgeous and kind, so innocent… someone Daryl never would’ve imagined could be his. But you were, and you loved him. You had your patience with him, you gave him all the space and time he needed. You were hardly clingy because you respected him and his space. You were almost too nice to him. But nevertheless, he loved you. You were some kind of anchor for him, calming him down when he got angry by just a simple touch. He would glare into your eyes one second, and then soften his gaze the next after seeing the sincerity in them. Your eyes were his favorite part of you. They held so much emotion, most which was directed to him and looking into them was all he needed most days. Everyone in the group knew he was smitten by you but they didn’t dare say anything in fear of ruining it, knowing Daryl’s temper. Carol and Rick were happy that Daryl had finally found someone who he thought was worth his love.

You were all now in Alexandria, everyone settled in their own little houses. Daryl and you shared the house with Carol. You didn’t mind her being around, you loved her like family and she was great help with Daryl most times too. You were just sitting out on the porch stairs, watching the sun set in the distance. Your hands were buried in the pockets of your jacket, trying to warm them up since the air had cooled down quite a lot already. Your fingers played with the things inside your pockets and you suddenly stopped, feeling the smooth surface of something you’d thought you’d lost. You pulled your hand out quickly, in it a dirty Polaroid picture from back at the prison. You smiled at the memory and held the picture in both hands, taking it in and thinking back to that day with a happy sigh.

It was back when Glenn had found that old Polaroid camera when he was out on a run. He used to walk around and take pictures of everyone, mostly getting on their nerves but in the end, everyone was glad to have had a picture taken of a nice moment. That’s what your picture was, as well. Daryl and you used to share a cell and you’ve had a particularly bad day, which was unlike you but it just happened and you were grumpy. You were lying in the bunk bed, just staring up with pursed lips. Daryl came and stood in the doorway, leaning against the wall with his arms folded across his chest.

“’Sup with ya?” He asked with a nod towards you. You just huffed out an incoherent answer and Daryl scoffed before he walked towards you. He set his crossbow to the ground and took a seat on the bed, pushing you further to the wall so there was enough space for him. He always tried to understand you, to be there for you when he thought you needed someone and you appreciated that, because Daryl usually wasn’t like this.

“Talk to me.” He grumbled and turned to prop up on his elbow, looking down at you. You didn’t know what to say to him because you weren’t sure what it was that had you in such a bad mood.

“I don’t know what’s wrong, honestly.” You said and averted your gaze from the upper bunk to him. He had a little smile on his lips, one you’d rarely see on him. He reached out his hand and softly ran it down your cheek, brushing away your hair that had fallen down. He kept his hand on your cheek, thumb stroking slowly.

“You wan’ a hug?” He asked and you couldn’t help but smile at the awkward way he’d asked that. You didn’t answer, just pushed his chest down and rested your head on top of it. His heart was beating calmly as you listened to it, knowing it beat for you right at this moment soothed you. He lifted his hand and set it on your head, running his fingers through your hair while his other held onto your arm that was wrapped around his torso. He rested his cheek on your forehead and you both just laid there in peace and silence. You closed your eyes, hoping to catch a little bit of sleep and Daryl did the same, your steady breathing and fingers softly running up and down his side calming him in a way no one could ever do. And that moment had been the moment captured by Glenn. He was bored and took pictures of everyone again and then spotted you two laying in the bed, so peaceful and so in love. He wanted to capture that moment so both of you had something to hold on to when things would ever go south again. So he sneaked closer, shot the picture and waited for it to show. He looked at it in awe and ran off to show everyone. Everyone was in love with that picture and had there been a printer available, he sure would’ve had to make copies for everyone. He found a sharpie somewhere in a bag and scribbled “by Glenn x” neatly on the back of the photo before he brought it back to your cell and stuck it to the bed with some tape.

When Daryl woke up and saw the picture, he was mad at Glenn at first for invading your privacy by taking a picture of you in your most vulnerable state but after looking at it for a little longer, loved it so much that he kept it in his hands until you woke up. And when you finally did, you caught him staring at the picture, again with that soft little smile of his and you grinned.

“What’s that?” You asked and Daryl snapped his head to you, a little startled as he hadn’t noticed you woke up. He slowly turned the picture to you and you stared at it in awe, taking it from his hands in your own.

“I’m gonna keep that.” You told him with a big smile and he let out a chuckle, pulling your head towards him for a kiss. You loved Daryl and Daryl loved you and that picture was a reminder of how much you really meant to each other. And you promised yourself that you’d keep that picture with you until the day you died.