The Last Time

By thewritterdead on Tumblr

You waited patiently for Daryl to return from Woodbury. Glenn, Maggie, Rick and you were leaned on a car, watching the mysterious woman that had helped you return to Woodbury.

You heard footsteps in the woods, twigs being stepped on and dry leaves creaking, so your friends and you raised your weapons. It was your husband but he wasn’t alone.

You were the first one to catch a glimpse of the man that walked next to Daryl.

-You gotta be kidding me. —you said angrily. Merle grinned and raised and eyebrow at you. As soon as the others saw him, guns were pointed at his face and angry tongues unleashed.

-What the hell is he doing here? —Glenn was furious, the bruises and wounds on his body were all drawn by Merle himself, so Maggie wasn’t crazy about the idea of having Merle back either.

As the yelling and screaming started, you pulled your husband away to talk in private.

-Why is he here, Daryl? —you asked with your brows in a frown.

-He helped me get outta there. —he answered.

-He can’t go back with us, Daryl, —you took a step forward and lifted your head so your face would be right in front of Daryl’s. —he can’t.

-Why not? —he frowned at your comment.

-Because he… —you made a pause trying to find the right words. —Well, he’s been in Woodbury for too long now, what if all this is the Governor’s plan? What if he’s gonna betray us?

Your husband stared at you carefully as you spoke, he scoffed and then said:

-You were the one who wanted to bring Last Samurai back with us. She’s been in Woodbury too.

-Well, she’s not Merle! —you yelled.

-What you talkin’ ‘bout? —he asked. —Merle’s blood.

-No, he’s your blood. —you poked his chest with your index finger. —My family, my blood, is right here and waiting for us back at the prison. You are part of that family, Daryl.

He stood silently, thinking about the decision he knew you were going to make him take.

-You have to choose, Daryl. —you sighed before continuing. —It’s him or me.

-What? —he grimaced at your words.

-It’s Merle or me. —you repeated, making your stomach quiver for a second time.

Daryl faced the floor and shifted his weight from one leg to the other, after a few minutes of silence, he locked his gaze on yours and opened his mouth to speak.

-It’s Merle. —he murmured.

-What? —you asked. You had heard him but you couldn’t believe your ears.

-He’s my brother. —he said. You could’ve fought more, begged him to stay but you knew he had made a choice and you couldn’t change it.