The Bear Necessities

By darylclaimsmybuns on Tumblr

Daryl knew he shouldn't but he needed the head-space, being out of the walls seemed to be the only remedy for his buzzing brain. Going out alone was foolish, he knew this, yet he couldn't handle the unnecessary chatter people filled his peace with- so foolishly alone it was. Rick was aware of his absence, always wordlessly understanding the hunter's need to be free, it was somehow intrinsically Daryl.

Coming up to a good hunting spot, Daryl pulled over his bike. Making sure to shield it in greenery, hidden from pillagers greedy eyes. Crossbow in hand, he sauntered into the treeline - making sure to cover his tracks. Once submerged, he took a moment to breathe; listen to nature. Slowly becoming more fluid and at one with his surroundings.

He wasn't necessarily hunting for food. Rick's ridiculous 'law of averages' seemed to land them in luck, as they had stumbled upon a vast amount of food and goods - Daryl mostly sneered at Rick's theory, putting it down to back breaking hard work.

A small shuffling caught the hunters attention, his reflexes springing him into action. Crossbow up, whipping around. The sight of a rumpled and skinny young girl greeted him. He lowered his bow, scanning their surroundings. She seemed to be alone but he couldn't be too sure. Her small body trembled but she held a knife out in defense; her eyes aflame. It moved Daryl, not that his expression would give anything away.

"Ya alone kid?" He dropped his guard, not wanting to frighten her anymore than he already had. She gulped, small fingers gripping her knife tighter.

"I ain't gon' hurt ya, alrigh'?" He crouched, seeing such a young girl so fierce and defensive struck a chord with Daryl - seeing a flicker of himself in her.

"Where's yer Ma, huh? Ya Pops?" She took small steps backwards, silence being his only reply.

He stood, sighing, "'m Daryl, ya got a name?" Again, nothing. He hung his head, keeping his distance.

"Okay, ya hungry? Ya can follow me, but cha gotta keep quiet, alrigh'?" He almost laughed at his request considering she hadn't made a sound. As he'd expected, she said nothing but as he walked away, he noticed her tiny form stalking behind him steadily.

Catching sight of a hare, he ducked. Being quick creatures, he'd have to act fast if he hoped to kill it. Holding up a hand to the girl, he signaled her to keep still. She hid behind a tree, eyes glued to him; irises still burning fiercely. He nodded to her, a silent pat on the back for behaving, before swiftly firing a bolt through his prey. This happened a couple more times, each time the girl became quieter and quieter, much to Daryl's surprise - she was a quick student.

Upon reaching his bike, he turned to face her. Her knife still at her hand, but lowered to her side, wary.

"Ya can come back, got a safe place... food, water, roof. There's other kids too." He straddled his bike after clearing it, revving the engine. The machine fascinated her - Daryl smirked.

"Ever been on a bike?" He knew it was his last chance. She shook her head, stepping closer.

"C'mon then." He held a hand out to her. There was a second of stillness; hesitation, before she placed her small hand in his big one. Pulling her up and seating her in front of him.

"Ya hold onto my legs, kay? It's gon' be fast," he kept one arm around her as he took off. She let out a small yelp as they picked up speed and soon after he could've sworn he caught her laughing once she'd gotten used to it. He felt a pull at his chest, wondering how long she'd been alone.

_____________

Eugene greeted them at the gates, Abraham hopping down off Sasha's watch post. Daryl climbed off his bike, helping the little girl down along with him. The hunter panicked when the two men neared, casting her a wary glance. She slowly backed up behind him, hiding behind his leg and gripping tightly to his tattered jeans.