Because, You Know

By thegrimessquad on Tumblr

You’ve spent the last twenty minutes entangled in the linen sheets and staring up at the cold steel slab holding the top half of the bunk bed above you, neither you nor Daryl had found the time to cut it off and use it as an extension for the first bunk, so it was just there. You finally decided to get up and start the day. When you swung your feet over the edge of the bed and sat yourself up, you noticed the seemingly empty chair on the opposite side of the cell, meaning Daryl had already left. You ensured the blanket covered cell door was closed off to the outside, then changed into an old grey t-shirt and well fitting jeans. You slipped on and laced up your weathered leather boots and went out into the cell block to see what was on the list for you to do today. You, Glenn, and a few other had signed up to siphon gas from the cars on the side lot today, therefore that’s what you went to do. You navigated through the poorly lit halls of the prison until you made it out front, on your way to start the job. You greeted many other people, children, and friends whilst on your way to the parking lot, asking around if they knew where Daryl was.

“His bike’s still here, so he couldn’t have gone too far, I’m sure he’ll be back soon,” Rick responded when you questioned him. Still, without his motorcycle, it worried you that he was with no group. You thanked Rick, then continued on past a couple of cell blocks to find Glenn, Sasha and Bob waiting for you.

The four of you took 45 minutes to siphon 13 gallons of gas from the cop cars abandoned in the lot, then started making trips to the supply room to store them. On your way back to grab the last few gallons, you saw Glenn, Rick and Daryl arguing about something. You took a deep breath, ran your hand through your hair and walked over to see what was going on.

“Wait, guys, what’s going on?” You questioned, attempting to diffuse the situation.

“Daryl brought back a deer,” Rick started.

“And I don’t think it’ll last us long, especially with all the new people we’ve found. The crops you’re growing won’t be ready for a little while, we should go on a run.” Glenn interrupted in a hushed tone, trying to get his point across.

“Alright,” you agreed, “we need more supplies anyway, Glenn and I could ask around and see if we can get a group together to go scavenge.” You suggested. You haven’t gone on a run for a little while and thought it could be fun for a change.

“Hey, that buck’ll last us ‘least a couple days, no point in going out there just to find nothin’,” Daryl jeered back.

“There’s that Holiday Inn on Lincoln and Cedar, not too far down the road and I doubt anyone thought to check there, something might be left. I’d be willing to go.” You insisted, eyeing Glenn in hopes he’ll back you up.

He locked eyes with you for a split second before turning back to the center of the circle, “Easy run,” He added to your case. Rick granted approval after contemplating for a moment, which erupted a resentful sigh from Daryl. Even though he disagreed with the plan, he’d been with you for long enough to know there was no changing your mind.

“Find me before y’all leave,” Was all he said before walking in the opposite direction. You brushed off his attitude and set off with Glenn to ask around if anyone was willing to come. The both of you were able to recruit Michonne, Sasha and Bob to come with you, being all that could fit in the Hyundai you were taking. While Sasha and Glenn were making sure everything was good to go, you left to find Daryl as he asked. After checking the fields and your cell block, you finally found him in the courtyard chatting with Carol and Patrick about the deer he brought back earlier. You beckoned him over with a hand gesture.

“I’m about to leave,” You updated him and stepped in to hug him.

“Alright, I’m going with you,” He says, stopping you in your tracks.