Rick's Sister

By igotanaddixon on Tumblr

You were running in the woods outside the city of Atlanta. Your lungs filled with fire as you ran for your life. It has been 4 months now since the world came to an end. Roads full of dead people walking. You weren’t ready when it happened, but then who was?

Only a month before the apocalypse your brother had been shot in the line of duty. He was a sheriff in King County, ‘officer Rick Grimes’. You chuckled in your head hearing his proud voice when he came home with his uniform for the first time. You had always been close to your big brother, sure he was overprotective and could get on your nerves sometimes but he was your brother, your best friend, your blood. So when shit hit the fan you decided to go back in town for him not trusting a single word that his best friend Shane had say about him being dead. Nobody can kill Rick, he’s a survivor.

So were you.

Unfortunately, the city was already overrun when you arrived. You wanted to reach the hospital he was in but you couldn’t find a safe way in. It was a suicide mission. In other words, it was impossible for a young woman with only a handgun as a weapon. You had kicked and punched walls, screamed to the sky in despair, you had cried for hours not knowing what to do. Your brother needed you and you had failed him. He was always there for you when you needed him and the only time he could have needed your help you hadn’t been able to do a single thing.

You had been alone since then, not seeing a human face for 4 months. You were running as fast as your tired legs could carry you trying to get away from the geeks. You had been trying to steal some food in a store when the monsters came out of nowhere, trapping you in the small town you had been staying in for two weeks. When you finally had the chance to run away some of the dead had followed you in the woods. You shot a lot of them before running out of ammo and switching to use your knife. You weren’t going to die this way.

‘I can survive! For you Rick!’

You thought as you jump over a fallen tree. Your ears filled with the sounds of your fast heartbeats and your vision began to darken, little sparks exploding before your eyes as you ran using your last piece of energy. You could survive if only you hadn’t trip and fall to the ground. In a couple of seconds one of the geeks had reach you and was already trying to tear your flesh apart. You were screaming and holding the heavy monster as far of your face as you could. Your head was hurting, your muscles were aching and your mind was begging you to give up. After what felt like the eternity you closed your eyes and speak out loud what you thought would be your last words.

“I’m sorry Rick, I love you brother.”

And you let your arms fall back to your side waiting for the pain but it never came. You only felt a heavy weight fall on top of you then nothing. You open your eyes to see the geek dead with an arrow in his skull. You frowned when you heard fighting sounds and pushed the dead body off of you before sitting up. When you looked around you saw a tall man with a crossbow killing the last geek that was chasing you. You watched impressed as the man turned around, breathing heavily and pointing his crossbow at your face directly.

“Don’t!”

You squeak out and raised your hands in the air to show him that you weren’t a threat. This man was the first human being you were seeing since the outbreak. You couldn’t help but smile but he didn’t flinch, his crossbow still pointed at your face.

“Who the hell are ya girl?”

The man asked you in his redneck accent. Somehow, the intonation in his voice made you remember your brother. The southern accent was evident in the family.

“I… I’m (y/n). Please I’m not a threat, I promise. I don’t have a group, I’m alone don’t shoot me.”

You begged with tears threatening to spill. The man looked surprise and lowered his weapon suddenly aware of how innocent you were. Guilt flash on his features for a second but he turned around to walk away without another word. You got up quickly and tried to catch up with him.