The unexpected

By formylovetodaryldixon on Tumblr

Why are ya so damn positive about everythin’?”

You chuckled. The moonlight glowed on a lonely night, while both sat against a cold wall to breathe the fresh air in the prison backyard. There were some distant grunts you tried to ignore, or maybe it was the call for help from those who were once people, according to Hershel. It was a matter of perception.

The cigarette smoke left your mouth and got lost in the wind, leaving a flavor of menthol and loneliness. 

“I think there is no point in living worried about a situation that isn’t going to change. Living alert from danger is not the same as drowning my mind with my fears and worries.”

Your way of responding made him question his own fears, because even a man like him was afraid of how radical life could be. He used to push other people away to avoid becoming too fond of them and then losing them, but it was impossible for him not to think about the others. What if someone in the group was bitten? What if they didn’t get enough food for everyone? What if something happened to you during the search for supplements? There were too many “what if”

Too many “what if” that were about you, and he hated himself for feeling what he began to feel for you.

He blew out the air from his cigar.

“Aren’t you afraid to die?”

You were excellent with the bow and arrow thanks to your grandfather, which made you an important addition to the group, and therefore your skills kept you exposed to danger outside the prison security.

“Sometimes I feel that I don’t have a reason to live in this world, but at least, I do have a reason why I would die for: protecting the group. Give them a bit of security as they gave it to me, make them live a little longer because they do want to live. Do you understand what I’m talking about?”

Daryl looked at you. Slowly and without realizing it, he found himself looking at you selflessly, with an instinct of protection that made him hate himself for feeling it. No one died for love or for that feeling that had been born in you both, but that feeling could distract you from being cautious, and if you two weren’t careful enough to see for yourself and the other at the same time, you both could die anyways.

“Damn… You’re too smart.” He took a drink of the liquor to try to drown his feelings, but it was impossible now. “I wish I didn’t like ya so damn much, sunshine.”

Daryl looked straight at you this time waiting for an answer. You both knew there was something between you, but it was the situation in which both were what made love a dangerous weapon. The answer that you were going to give would be like playing with fire and both could get hurt.

But he had just lit the flame, and you were going to let it consume you.