Scream

By imagine-daryldixon on Tumblr

“Hey sweetheart”, I heard a voice from behind calling me. Lori was sitting on an old tree stump doing laundry. 
„Hi Lori“, I waved back at her. 
“Can you come here for a second? I gotta ask you a favor”, Lori gestured me to come closer and I did as I was told. 
“Sure, what is it?”, I asked standing only a few inches away from her. 
“Shane asked me to do his laundry too since he’s really busy teaching everyone how to shoot, but he hadn’t brought it over yet. Could you go and ask him for me?”, she explained raising her hands to demonstrate how busy she was herself. 
“I don’t have anything else to do anyway, so yeah, I’ll ask him”, I replied with a smile. I didn’t really like Shane but I didn’t see why I shouldn’t walk over to his tent quickly and get his laundry. I walked past a lot of tents before Shane’s even came in sight. It stood even further away than the last time I had to visit him. 
“Where are you heading towards?”, Dale asked peaking down from his van.
“Shane’s”, I replied”, but I didn’t remember it being so far away. When did he move out to…you know…the furthest spot he could find?!”
“Since he feels rejected and patronized by everyone.”
“His paranoia is really getting out of hands lately. Someone should talk to him.”
“Sure..sure…”, Dale said looking down. “Well, I gotta… go back to watch now.” Dale turned around and left me. 

“Yeah, I knew you wouldn’t volunteer, I didn’t ask you to, Dale. Nice day to you too”, I yelled making my way towards Shane’s. 
“Shane, are you here?”, I asked approaching his tent carefully. He tended to overreact and jump at people approaching him or his tent too quickly. 
“What do you want?!”, came the harsh sound of his voice from inside. 
“Laundry. Lori sent me, she said you had laundry”, I hurried to answer.
I could hear a deep sigh from inside the tent. 
“Come in, I got it right here. Just gotta pick it up.” 
With a beating heart and a weird feeling I approached the tent as I was told. My hand was shaking as I pulled the fabric away and entered. Shane was lying on his bed his eyes closed his legs comfortably stretched out. 
“Is it the basket over here?”, I asked pointing towards what I thought to be his laundry. 
“It is”, he murmured his eyes still closed. 
I picked up the basket and was about to leave again when suddenly I heard a rustling behind me. Shane was sitting up his legs hanging over the edge of his bed. 
“Why would you come to pick it up though?” He looked me up and down. 
“Excuse me?!”
“I asked Lori to do it, why wouldn’t she come herself?”
“She…she said she was busy. She had expected you to bring it to her, so I guess she planned accordingly and couldn’t find the time to come pick it up herself. I’ll tell her you asked about her”, I said with a forced smile. The weird feeling in my stomach was still there, even stronger now. 
“Very well…”, Shane mumbled looking me up and down again. The look in his eyes however had changed to something way more uncomfortable. 
“I gotta go now, Lori really needs this”, I hurried to say and tried to make my way back to the camp, to Lori…back to safety, but it was too late. I felt Shane’s grip around my wrist so tight it made me lose hold of the basket. With a great rattle it fell to the ground scattering dirty laundry all over the floor. 
“If I can’t have her…why not have you instead, lil’ girl”, he gnarled bringing himself closer to me. 
“Shane, stop”, I protested trying to sound confident but my shaking voice gave me away. “Leave me alone.” 
“Why should I?! Scream as much as you want, they won’t be coming. They’re too afraid of me”, he grinned taking a step forward. He was only inches away from me. I could smell his breath. Alcohol. 
“NO!”, I screeched but before I could scream another word his lips were on mine. I could taste the alcohol, the cigarettes as he forced himself upon me. 
Then suddenly I felt another strong hand around me, a familiar touch pulling me away from the danger. Shane lost his balance and fell to the ground as I was being pulled into safety. 
“Daryl”, I gasped throwing myself into his arms knowing that it was him. His touch around my waist had become too familiar for me to be mistaken. 
“Did he do something to you!?” Daryl held my head between his hands searching for a hint of harm in my eyes. I shook my head placing my hands above his. 
“You came just in time”, I breathed. 
“He…had his lips on yours”, Daryl growled brushing my lips with his thumb. 
“I’m sorry, I… he was too strong, I couldn’t push him away”, I whispered scared that Daryl might not want me anymore now that another men had touched my lips. 
“Wait a second, will ya”, Daryl said with narrowed brows his eyes fired with rage. I had never seen him this furious. He strutted past me and back into Shane’s tent. 
I could only judge by the sounds but Daryl seemed not happy about Shane approaching me in such an inappropriate manner. 
“You get anywhere near her again, I will beat your ass into the ground”, I heard Daryl snarling at Shane. A voice I had never heard before. Daryl tended to flip easily and he yelled a lot…but this time, his threat was more than serious. 
Only seconds later Daryl was back outside with me pulling me into his arms. 
“You okay?”, he asked again wiping away my tears. They were still coming, still running down my cheeks leaving wet strains, but I felt better already. 
“You taught him a lesson?”, I sniffed. 
“Sure did. That son-of-a-bitch gettin’ anywhere near ya again, he’s gonna need a new face”, Daryl mumbled making me smirk a shy smile. 
“I hope he’s not looking all too good now either”, I murmured under my breath. 
“He ain’t”, Daryl smirked back. “Took care of him. Let’s get you back now, you’re shaking.”
I nodded and let Daryl put his arm around my waist to support my weak knees. 
“I’ll get you something to eat and drink, okay?!”, Daryl said as we had almost approached my tent.
“No!”, I replied maybe a little too quick, a little too urgent. “I mean… could you stay with me? I…could you…could you hold me, just for a while?!”
A smile appeared on Daryl’s lips. 
“Of course. Anything to make you feel better”, he mumbled opening the tent for me helping me inside. He lay next to me his arms wrapped tightly around my shoulders and waist. I was still shaking, still flinching at the mere thought of Shane being so close to me. 
“Thank you for rescuing me, Daryl”, I whispered snuggling up against his chest.
“Any time”, he replied mumbling the words into my hair.