chapter 47

west sleeping at last

Sebastian

"Sebastian?" I opened my eyes to a pitch black room. I could barely see as I glanced around to notice Luna laying on her side, her eyes closed.

"Luna?" I whispered.

"It hurts," she croaked.

"What does?" I asked, walking to her, pulling a chair beside her. I could barely even see her face but I could tell it was contorted in pain.

"Everything."

"Do you need anything, my love?"

"I'm actually kind of hungry," she said, opening her eyes. I could see my whole world in her eyes.

"Well, why don't I go to McDonald's and get us some midnight burgers?" I smiled.

"That cannot possibly be healthy," she objected.

"Well, when have we ever eaten healthy?" I chuckled. She shrugged.

"So burgers?"

She nodded and grinned. I kissed her forehead and grabbed my car keys.

On my way down the hall, I noticed Gus walking towards me.

"Is your brother okay? Why are you here so late?" I asked.

"I just figured I would come to visit. I couldn't really sleep and I knew you'd be here alone," he said.

"Well, Luna just woke up so I'm going to McDonald's. If you want you can come."

"Yeah sure," he said.

Gus looked really worn out. The bags under his eyes gave and the slur in his speech gave it away.

"You doing okay?" I asked.

"I guess so."

I didn't push anymore because we had only known each other for a few weeks. He would tell me if he wanted to talk about it, so I kept my distance.

It was quiet on the ride there until he asked me something I didn't think would ever leave his mouth.

"What are you going to do if she dies?"

I kind of stuttered. "What?"

"Like, the way you talk about her and talk to her and just everything. Your whole life is Luna."

I almost forgot the question. But he was right, I created a temple around Luna.

"I guess I'll just have to move on," I shrugged. I hated thinking about what I'd do when Luna is gone. I'd rather just not let my mind roam to that dark place.

Gus' question took me off guard. It didn't upset me, it was kind of just crazy. I haven't actually deeply thought about imagining my life without her.

"So what school do you go to?" He asked, changing the subject.

"I used to go to Xavier High School."

"Used to?"

"I was pulled out of school like two years ago because of my depression. It wasn't like a big loss anyways, all my friends abandoned me."

"Jerks," he muttered under his breath.

We finally reached the McDonald's and I ordered two Big Macs, large fries, and waters. I also bought Luna a muffin. Gus just bought some chicken nuggets and we were off, not really being able to contain ourselves we took it upon ourselves to have some fries.

"So, I guess I should get going home," he said.

"No, no. Stay. I'm sure Luna wouldn't mind. We could talk or play board games or something." I said, grabbing his forearm before he got out of the car.

"Are you sure? 'Cause I don't want to intrude or anything..."

"No! C'mon it'll be fun." I patted his shoulder and got out of the car.

***

"Wait, he made you pay $75 dollars for a half a tank of gas?" Gus asked, bewildered.

"Yes. It was crazy but it was insanely hot outside so we took it since we were in the middle of nowhere," Luna laughed as she recounted the story of the time we broke down.

"That sounds like quite the road trip," Gus laughed.

We were all sitting together around a small table, the same table that had an enormous window that looked out at the city. It was pitch black but lit up by the hundreds of buildings and cars giving off their light. It was too hard to see the stars tonight, but the closest thing to the gorgeous stars was sitting in front of me.

Luna and Gus were sharing a blanket and sitting amongst the McDonald's garbage and wrappers that were scattered across the table. She was sipping on her water and kept telling Gus about our crazy tales, and he watched her in amusement, entranced. No one could look at her and not be.

 No one could look at her and not be